GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

RWD bad in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 12:48 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD bad in snow?

Hello all. I'm new here, and wanted to ask a question for those of you with a RWD. I'm looking to get a GS350RWD. Dealerships here in the Chicagoland area are saying that Lexus doesn't give this area ANY RWD models because of our snow. Are they that bad in the snow? I have a BMW 330Ci now and it's fine with snow tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-13-07, 01:44 PM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Hello all. I'm new here, and wanted to ask a question for those of you with a RWD. I'm looking to get a GS350RWD. Dealerships here in the Chicagoland area are saying that Lexus doesn't give this area ANY RWD models because of our snow. Are they that bad in the snow? I have a BMW 330Ci now and it's fine with snow tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Yea whats with lexus, all i ever see @ dealers are AWD IS250 no RWD.
Its pretty lame.
They should stop forcing AWD down our throats.

I've owned an RWD e90 and have no problems.
Old 03-13-07, 02:21 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

In my experience with a 2001 GS430 on 16" Blizzaks, and a 2006 GS430 with 18" Blizzaks, they are both OK in the snow. The 16" tires did better than 18" by a noticeable margin. I would even say the 16" felt about as surefooted as 4-wheel drive. I also have a 4Runner, and the 18" tires are a definite step downward.

Lastly, don't even THINK about all-season tires in the snow
Old 03-13-07, 03:22 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to find me a RWD somewhere. Looks like i'm going to go on a road trip to get a car.
Old 03-13-07, 03:32 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

compared to awd, RWD isn't great, but i have a GS430 with 4 michelin pilot alpinII's and they're GREAT... i drive around CRV's and escapes daily...
Old 03-13-07, 06:01 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Agni88
Yea whats with lexus, all i ever see @ dealers are AWD IS250 no RWD.
Its pretty lame.
They should stop forcing AWD down our throats.

I've owned an RWD e90 and have no problems.
You seem to think a lot of things about Lexus are lame. Who exactly is forcing any type of Lexus down your throat? The last time I checked, the same door that leads you into a Lexus showroom is the same door that leads you out.
Old 03-13-07, 07:13 PM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
You seem to think a lot of things about Lexus are lame. Who exactly is forcing any type of Lexus down your throat? The last time I checked, the same door that leads you into a Lexus showroom is the same door that leads you out.
I'm not into AWD, whenever I go to the dealer all i see are the AWD models.
I want a lexus, in RWD. But there is a lot of redtape to order a car from factory and takes forever @ lexus.

At other car companies, I walk onto their lot and they have a good mix of RWD/AWD cars. I choose what I want.

If I want to special order, its easy cake.
Old 03-13-07, 07:30 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a good reason for RWD/AWD allocation based on geographic locations. Every dealership wants to move cars out of their lot ASAP. If there would of been any demand for RWD on East Coast or those states with rough winter seasons, they would have plenty in stock. The lack of RWD in your location just shows a very low demand.
Old 03-13-07, 09:06 PM
Agni88
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
There is a good reason for RWD/AWD allocation based on geographic locations. Every dealership wants to move cars out of their lot ASAP. If there would of been any demand for RWD on East Coast or those states with rough winter seasons, they would have plenty in stock. The lack of RWD in your location just shows a very low demand.
False, i see lots and LOTS of RWD cars here. The Roads are straight and flat. Usually doesnt snow much, if it does its cleaned up by the next day.

I'd rather not pay the extra few $$ for AWD and would go with Nav.
Old 03-14-07, 05:31 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

It's simply supply/demand. Here in PA, my dealership only has AWD in stock. Of course, they also have the H. I am sure one can special order a RWD. Just make sure to put snow tires on during winter.
Old 03-14-07, 09:43 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

False, i see lots and LOTS of RWD cars here. The Roads are straight and flat. Usually doesnt snow much, if it does its cleaned up by the next day.

False? So allocations/dealer inventory are not determined by market demand? Hmm, you learn something new everyday!
Old 03-14-07, 12:25 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With snow tires you should be ok.
Old 03-14-07, 07:53 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed you're pushing your BMW agenda but don't forget that AWD on a straight/flat road in a good weather will have 70/30 powertrain split and will feel almost like RWD (its not full time 50/50). Than, in a snow you get an additional bonus of 50/50 and AWD performance. And, if you are really thinking about saving a buck or two with AWD just so you can get NAV, there is always portable $400 NAV units.
Old 03-14-07, 08:01 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGT
With snow tires you should be ok.
just listen to the mod.
Old 03-14-07, 10:29 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ElitistK
just listen to the mod.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I've had my '01 BMW 330Ci for 6 years, and never had too much of a problem with snow tires.

Quick Reply: RWD bad in snow?