GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How are the rattle issues coming lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 12:20 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are the rattle issues coming lately?

I started hearing a creaking on my windshield and a clicking on the rear deck of the car when the temperatures were at zero degrees. Now that the temp has warmed to the 40's the noises are now gone. Anyone else experienced this?

Also was wondering how many had their rattles fixed at the dealership and their problems have been fixed for good? Or have just given up?
Old 03-18-07, 05:03 PM
minnister
Driver

I gave up on mine. I thinking of trying to fix it on my own.

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I started hearing a creaking on my windshield and a clicking on the rear deck of the car when the temperatures were at zero degrees. Now that the temp has warmed to the 40's the noises are now gone. Anyone else experienced this?

Also was wondering how many had their rattles fixed at the dealership and their problems have been fixed for good? Or have just given up?
Old 03-18-07, 05:38 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by minnister
I gave up on mine. I thinking of trying to fix it on my own.

You are in CA. Are you having the rattles during normal weather or just extreme weather, which you probably don't even get? I don't.
Old 03-19-07, 07:24 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

My dash rattle is an every now and then issue, so I haven't done anything about it. I'm hoping that as the weather warms up, it will all but disappear.
Old 03-19-07, 04:03 PM
kris1
Driver School Candidate

Use this stuff and squeeze it between the dash and the glass. You won't see it, and it will apply enough pressure to stop any rattles, plus, because its rubber, it would lose its pressure like foam will over time. You can get it for 8 bucks at Lowes Home Improvement.
Old 03-19-07, 05:58 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Angry

Originally Posted by kris1
Use this stuff and squeeze it between the dash and the glass. You won't see it, and it will apply enough pressure to stop any rattles, plus, because its rubber, it would lose its pressure like foam will over time. You can get it for 8 bucks at Lowes Home Improvement.
I can't believe you're have to resort to that to fixrattles in a brand new $50+ car. Ugh. [Actually, I can believe it based on other reports. I just think it is ridiculous.]
Old 03-19-07, 08:14 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

My car spent so much time at Lexus, I asked them to buy it back. it still rattles, weather independent at this time, these are not squeaks, just snap kind of sounds across dash..
Old 03-19-07, 09:13 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
My car spent so much time at Lexus, I asked them to buy it back. it still rattles, weather independent at this time, these are not squeaks, just snap kind of sounds across dash..
What did they say?
Old 03-19-07, 10:30 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

they stated they would require 4-6 weeks for review, it is week 3 now. I met with Lexus corporate rep and corp master tech, both very reasonable and understanding, we drove the car and they heard the snapping across the dash, essentially the whole dash needs to come off and be insulated, i told them to just buy it back, sell it to someone less **** about noises and we can all move on ...I am not certain if I will buy another GS, probably not an 07 maybe an 08....
Old 03-19-07, 11:52 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Skipping 07 GS as a buy possibility

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
they stated they would require 4-6 weeks for review, it is week 3 now. I met with Lexus corporate rep and corp master tech, both very reasonable and understanding, we drove the car and they heard the snapping across the dash, essentially the whole dash needs to come off and be insulated, i told them to just buy it back, sell it to someone less **** about noises and we can all move on ...I am not certain if I will buy another GS, probably not an 07 maybe an 08....

I have a 98 GS 300 and am still waiting to pull the plug on a buy for a new Lexus.

Based on the rattle issues, I've crossed the 07 GS 350 off of my list.

I'll probably get an 08 GS 350, but I might get a less than full loaded LS 460 instead (o7 or 08). If I skip the ML and the ridiculous auto parking option on the LS, I can get one for about $67K or thereabouts vs. 51K for a fully loaded GS 350. (I'm ignoring the high CA sales taxes in both numbers above.)
Old 03-20-07, 08:27 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steverhode
I have a 98 GS 300 and am still waiting to pull the plug on a buy for a new Lexus.

Based on the rattle issues, I've crossed the 07 GS 350 off of my list.

I'll probably get an 08 GS 350, but I might get a less than full loaded LS 460 instead (o7 or 08). If I skip the ML and the ridiculous auto parking option on the LS, I can get one for about $67K or thereabouts vs. 51K for a fully loaded GS 350. (I'm ignoring the high CA sales taxes in both numbers above.)
I think the folks with the most severe rattle issues had the 2006 GS (which makes some sense, as this was the first year of re-design) - I know there has been some 2007 GS350 issues, but I think most of them were minor and most were corrected by the dealer.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 03-20-07 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-20-07, 09:17 AM
edbern
Driver School Candidate

I think the folks with the most severe rattle issues had the 2006 GS (which makes some sense, as this was the first year of re-design0 - I know there has been some 2007 GS350 issues, but I think most of them were minor and most were corrected by the dealer.
Having had both an 06 gs 430 and now an 07 gs350, it seems to me the 07's are much better. My mechanic (dealership employee, off the record) said, basically: "Of course, first year models always have problems."
Old 03-20-07, 09:56 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

When I had my windshield replaced, the guy took those plastic pins off. It still rattle. The first time I brought the car to the dealership, they decided to took the dash apart and isolate everything. It was a lot better after that; only once in awhile, with extremely cold weather, a little noise here and there. Then, I had them replace the cowl. It's all good now. It's been several months now since it was done. No noise.. and this morning temp was 20 degrees.
Old 03-20-07, 10:02 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
When I had my windshield replaced, the guy took those plastic pins off. It still rattle. The first time I brought the car to the dealership, they decided to took the dash apart and isolate everything. It was a lot better after that; only once in awhile, with extremely cold weather, a little noise here and there. Then, I had them replace the cowl. It's all good now. It's been several months now since it was done. No noise.. and this morning temp was 20 degrees.

Do you have an 2006, or 2007? -- What's the Cowl?
Old 03-20-07, 11:44 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have an 2006, or 2007? -- What's the Cowl?
that black plastic panel outside of the windshield at the bottom end.

Quick Reply: How are the rattle issues coming lately?