GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Alternatives to GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 01:43 PM
JDZ25
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
You're probably right. I want a GS so bad. Im just dieing here waiting like this =(
Just curious, but how long have you been waiting?
Old 03-20-07, 02:14 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
With Infiniti, I found M35 to be a huge floaty boat with more of a luxury guts rather than performance luxury like GS.
What it the world are you talking about? The M is about the same size as GS and handles better than GS. The M45 was my first choice before I discovered GS450h. The only things that go against the M are a bit lower level of materials and somewhat weird styling. But handling is not one of the deficient areas by any means. Just read any automotive magazine that tested the latest M's.

One area where Infiniti beats the crap out of any Lexus is voice recognition.
Old 03-20-07, 03:29 PM
indihawk
Driver School Candidate

Do what I did. Find one on eBay and buy it that way. I got a great deal on a car that only had 3K miles on it. I just looked and there are about 7 or so on there right now.
Old 03-20-07, 04:04 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

If the GS is the car you want, then be patient. The dealer will find you a car.
I waited 7 weeks for mine.
Old 03-20-07, 05:12 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
What it the world are you talking about? The M is about the same size as GS and handles better than GS. The M45 was my first choice before I discovered GS450h. The only things that go against the M are a bit lower level of materials and somewhat weird styling. But handling is not one of the deficient areas by any means. Just read any automotive magazine that tested the latest M's.

One area where Infiniti beats the crap out of any Lexus is voice recognition.
I'm talking about test driving back-to-back M35x, G35x, and GS350AWD. I was looking for AWD versions, and there is a world of difference between a crippled M35x handling/performance and RWD M35 Sport. The AWD version took friggin forever to accelerate, felt very soft/floaty like ES350/Camry. I called it a "boat" because the ride felt boring and floaty. M handles better than GS? Maybe Sporty RWD version, but not AWD. Try to take a corner in that one LOL!!! On the other hand, G35x (even AWD) felt like BMW in terms of handling.
Old 03-20-07, 06:00 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Why are you stuck on that dealer...forget them . I looked on EBAY motors, autotrader.com and did a 300 mile search. You can also go to lexus.com and do a dealer search by state and then call all the dealers and talk to the INTERNET MANAGER. Ask what their inventory is and what they have coming in. Its no biggie to ship the car on a truck and get it delivered to your driveway. I bought my GS430 with 7300 miles from a Mercedes Dealership in Atlanta that took it in on a trade...for $330 it was shipped to my driveway in my neighborhood. Very cool. You already know what your buying so just find a dealer that has it. These dealers ship all the time so no biggie.
Just expand your reach and it will happen.
Old 03-20-07, 06:03 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
2006 GS 430 MATADOR RED/CASHMERE

Your car looks great in your little picture. Do you have a bigger one to share?
Old 03-20-07, 06:23 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
Why are you stuck on that dealer...forget them . I looked on EBAY motors, autotrader.com and did a 300 mile search. You can also go to lexus.com and do a dealer search by state and then call all the dealers and talk to the INTERNET MANAGER. Ask what their inventory is and what they have coming in. Its no biggie to ship the car on a truck and get it delivered to your driveway. I bought my GS430 with 7300 miles from a Mercedes Dealership in Atlanta that took it in on a trade...for $330 it was shipped to my driveway in my neighborhood. Very cool. You already know what your buying so just find a dealer that has it. These dealers ship all the time so no biggie.
Just expand your reach and it will happen.

Will all dealers ship? - What do you think the cost would be to ship a new GS about 1300 miles?
Old 03-20-07, 06:34 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

A6 and RL would be the two that I think are the best competitors.
Old 03-20-07, 07:38 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely wait it out. The dealer should give you a date as soon as they have the car you want located...
Old 03-20-07, 08:14 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I've been waiting three weeks and it feels like eternity, lol.
Old 03-20-07, 08:27 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
I'm talking about test driving back-to-back M35x, G35x, and GS350AWD. I was looking for AWD versions, and there is a world of difference between a crippled M35x handling/performance and RWD M35 Sport. The AWD version took friggin forever to accelerate, felt very soft/floaty like ES350/Camry. I called it a "boat" because the ride felt boring and floaty. M handles better than GS? Maybe Sporty RWD version, but not AWD. Try to take a corner in that one LOL!!! On the other hand, G35x (even AWD) felt like BMW in terms of handling.
I see. I never drove the M35 AWD. I only drove the M45 and it handled great; certainly better than my GS450h. But not nearly as great power or refinement.
Old 03-21-07, 07:14 AM
tuthman
Driver School Candidate

Default Wait it out!

Two weeks ago I bought a GS350, and three days later took it in to get the window tint and Sat radio put in. The loaner was an ES350. Nice, but soft. When I got my car back 24 hours later, I could feel a big difference. I was very happy to be in the GS. BTW, I put over 300 miles on the loaner. Thanks Lexus!
Old 03-21-07, 07:22 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waiting only 3 weeks? I waited about 2 months for mine. So I would recommend you be patient and get what you want. But, if it were me looking to find a similar car today I would look at:
1. M35 (Consumer Reports likes this car)
2. G35 (probably too small and not in the same class as GS)
2. A6 (I stayed away from it due to German auto reliability issues, but I think I would give it a second look now.

I would not look at Mercedes. Quality still suffering. I doubt I would buy another GS. Besides the interior noise quality issues, I probably would go for a totally different type of car, maybe even a small to mid-size SUV. I'm also looking forward to the next generation of hybrid vehicles.
Old 03-21-07, 08:34 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

So DaveJ, you're not that happy with your GS?

Quick Reply: Alternatives to GS350