GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Black on Black - More Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 07:38 PM
cohort
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tint % is that? 15% or 20%?
Old 03-27-07, 08:35 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by GS350BlacK
I said the same thing a few years ago about black cars; then I found knowledge!

Obsidian is a new color from Lexus for 2007 and it does already have a clearcoat, but not any different than any other high end Lexus. The VIP Protection Package offered by my dealer is the name of the package that is provided by NASSAU Technologies, Inc. (www.nassautech.com). They are located in my area. If you want to keep a showroom shine, a protection package is necessary. Here’s why!

Ultraviolet rays, pollution, acid rain, bugs, bird droppings, tree sap, salt and exhaust gasses are all eating away at your car's finish. That weakens the paint's molecular defenses until it breaks down, the paint fades and a showroom shine is no longer possible. Acid rain, beading on unprotected paint can eat through the paint layers making them thin and dull. Each water droplet hitting the surface acts as a magnifying glass focusing the sun's heat and intensifying a very destructive chemical reaction on your paint. Over time, random action will etch paint surface resulting in loss of luster and the ability to shine your car.

Waxes don’t work in the long run. They melt, get sticky and trap acids and chemicals on your car’s paint. Bird droppings are the worst. They are chemicals and can ruin a paint surface in just a few days. Bird droppings come from the digestive system of birds and droppings contain high levels of acid - acid damages paintwork.

We have all waxed our cars for years, thinking waxing was the answer to protecting our car's finish. Waxes only protect a car's finish for as long as they stay on. Paint has pores, just like your skin. Solar heat closes the pores and forces out melted wax. The waxes become warm and sticky enough to trap dust, acids and chemicals on a car's paint Those compounds are then broken down by the sun and emulsified by detergent soaps so they're easily washed away every time you wash your car. The car’s paint is exposed again.

Waxes have very little protective ingredients; in fact they're mostly various polymers that provide a temporary shine; as temporary as money in the hands of a trophy wife. The wax job will made your car look better for a while, but when it starts breaking down, the shine is gone and your not protected again. The truth is no product will truly preserve your paint unless it is permanent; and, no claim of permanent protection is good without a guarantee.

A product that protects from bird droppings, UV rays, acid rain, road salt and bug residue is worth a few dollars more for a permanent shine that provides guaranteed protection. Further, prevention is better than a cure. Good protection packages provide prevention and eliminate the need to cure dull listless paint. Car wax and car polish offer great instant shine, but there are drawbacks that I don’t want encounter. Car wax is predominantly made of "wax". Wax melts with heat. Heat on waxed paintwork results in the wax softening and that leaves your paint prone to entrapped contaminants. Wax may be good for show cars, but not for cars that are on the road every day, day after day. By its very nature, wax does not adhere well to a car. It’s wax for crying out loud. Beware of some waxes that also take the top layer of paint off the car to give it a newer look; your cars paint job is only so thick and the more you take off the less you’ll have left for depth of shine.

The VIP protection package I purchased for $675 is guaranteed for five years. That covers both interior and exterior. Regular washing and a bit of speed detailer to remove fresh contaminants is all I do. It takes less time to keep clean and the showroom shine never leaves your eyes. The shine you see in the pictures now will be there in five years. And remember, A protection package should be permanent and guaranteed. No guarantee, no deal!

That’s my twenty-five cents worth on protection packages. Rather lengthy, but I have read numerous statements condemning protection packages. I couldn’t disagree with them more. Could you tell?
Nice write up but I have to disagree with you on the paint protectant is better than Wax.
1. The paint protectant is still just another type of clearcoat and all protectants or clearcoats will pit or have oxidation no matter what it is made of. The problem with many protectants is that they do not recommend that you remove any of it hence overtime it will not be the best that it can look.
2.Wax does come off overtime but if you keep up a regiment you will have multiple layers of it and you then will use a claybar to get rid of some of the layers and if you feel that you need to get to your clearcoat to get of oxidation then it is easily accessible unlike paint protectants. You can claybar your car to death and remove many layers of the clearcoat and paint and you will not get to the point that you have no paint left since you are taking very very small amounts of paint.
3.Carnuaba wax provide the best shine (Concourse D'elegance all use Carnuaba waxes no synthetics) as long as you apply it every 2-3months depending on where you live. You must use the Carnuaba waxes that are pure and with the least amount of polymers(ex.P21S).
4.I usually keep my cars 10years or more because I like modding them and the paint on my cars are mirror like even the bodyshops around ask me to hold clinics for some of their customers that are fanatics and they used to sell these protectants and they still sell it to their regular customers but to their customers that have classics and modded cars they no longer sell the protectants to them.
5. Protectants look great for a couple of years but when you start looking at 5 years on and compare it to a car that has been waxed regularly with quality products you will see the difference in the depth of the shine.
Old 03-27-07, 09:10 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

We should get the black and white GS350s together for a black/white photoshoot! I'm not that far from you.

Great pictures You made Bozer very 'happy'

I live in Missouri City, Texas; Southwest Houston in Sienna Plantation (www.siennaplantation.com). It's a great place to live. Easy access to virtually all parts of Houston. That's a nice black cherry.
Old 03-27-07, 09:24 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default Works for me.

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
We should get the black and white GS350s together for a black/white photoshoot! I'm not that far from you.

Great pictures You made Bozer very 'happy'
Works for me. I'll look forward to the shoot.
Old 03-27-07, 09:26 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default 20% Tint

Originally Posted by cohort
What tint % is that? 15% or 20%?
That's 20% Tint Cohort. The back is a 25%. You can go up to 25% on the sides in the Texas, with unlimited tint in the rear, so long as you have rear view mirrors. The 20% was a better match for this Lexus black.

Last edited by GS350BlacK; 03-27-07 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-27-07, 09:43 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default I don't by it!

Originally Posted by audimerc
Nice write up but I have to disagree with you on the paint protectant is better than Wax.
1. The paint protectant is still just another type of clearcoat and all protectants or clearcoats will pit or have oxidation no matter what it is made of. The problem with many protectants is that they do not recommend that you remove any of it hence overtime it will not be the best that it can look.
2.Wax does come off overtime but if you keep up a regiment you will have multiple layers of it and you then will use a claybar to get rid of some of the layers and if you feel that you need to get to your clearcoat to get of oxidation then it is easily accessible unlike paint protectants. You can claybar your car to death and remove many layers of the clearcoat and paint and you will not get to the point that you have no paint left since you are taking very very small amounts of paint.
3.Carnuaba wax provide the best shine (Concourse D'elegance all use Carnuaba waxes no synthetics) as long as you apply it every 2-3months depending on where you live. You must use the Carnuaba waxes that are pure and with the least amount of polymers(ex.P21S).
4.I usually keep my cars 10years or more because I like modding them and the paint on my cars are mirror like even the bodyshops around ask me to hold clinics for some of their customers that are fanatics and they used to sell these protectants and they still sell it to their regular customers but to their customers that have classics and modded cars they no longer sell the protectants to them.
5. Protectants look great for a couple of years but when you start looking at 5 years on and compare it to a car that has been waxed regularly with quality products you will see the difference in the depth of the shine.
Nice response Audimerc; however, I don't buy it. Guaranteed!!!! That's the key. If you think the clearcoat I have is going to pit... and I don't, I am certainly in a good position to get a show room paint job from the dealer the minute mine begins to exhibit inferior color. I have had paint protector on caddies for quite some time, never got a pit job. Clearcoats are now well into the age of technology and those I have used maintained a deep rich shine for well over the warranty periods. More work, as is the case with wax, doesn't translate into a better protectant; it just means more work. Clearcoats help cut maintance down, add the needed protection from elements while maintaining a deep rich paint shine quality.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 03-27-07, 09:51 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default Forgive Bozer

Originally Posted by bozer
rofl GS.. rofl..
You'll have to forgive Bozer; apparently he was dropped from a great distance as an infant.....
Old 03-27-07, 10:01 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default Nice Web Page Autosport

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
That is one clean car! BLack is best when shiny! Nice job

Thanks for the compliment. I loved your web page. Wheels, Wheels and more great Wheels. I am considering a wheel change when it's time to change tires. Three piece forged appeal to me. I like the silver look as opposed to a chrome wheel. Any suggestions? Any problems to be aware of in changing from 18 x 8 to 19 or 20's on the GS350. I know the from brake could be some what of a problem unless done correctly due to the larger caliber.
Old 03-27-07, 10:06 PM
audimerc
Driver

Nice response Audimerc; however, I don't buy it. Guaranteed!!!! That's the key. If you think the clearcoat I have is going to pit... and I don't, I am certainly in a good position to get a show room paint job from the dealer the minute mine begins to exhibit inferior color. I have had paint protector on caddies for quite some time, never got a pit job. Clearcoats are now well into the age of technology and those I have used maintained a deep rich shine for well over the warranty periods. More work, as is the case with wax, doesn't translate into a better protectant; it just means more work. Clearcoats help cut maintance down, add the needed protection from elements while maintaining a deep rich paint shine quality.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Was at the nassautech VIP Exterior protection website and like I said that stuff is only good for about 5 years as it states on its website.

"VIP Exterior Protection Warranty
A 5 year transferable warranty on the factory paint against damage from fading, chalking, and loss of gloss resulting from exposure to the elements. Acid rain, bird droppings and even tree sap are covered."

Also go to Clublexus paint care forums and you will get the same thing from other members who agree that this is just a very expensive wax job.

Here is a link in the CL forums about protectants and waxes and someone actually did a study on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...int+protectant
Old 03-27-07, 10:22 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Originally Posted by SSoto21
Wow that car is unbelievably sexy, cant wait to post pics of mine, and if they have that package thing at my dealer, Im definetly getting it! You should charge those guys for advertisement!
But a question... so if you get swirl marks and/or dullness, you bring it to them and they re-shine it?
Also what happens if (GOD FORBID) the car gets into an accident? IS the warranty then void?

Good questions SSoto. No! the warranty is not void just because your get into an accident. Like most accidents, the responsible party, and their insurance company, will have to make it right. Bye the way, you do know that if you get into an accident, you are not obligated to take your car anywhere but to the dealer. Your insurance company can not force you to a "cheaper" alternative. The clearcoat is part of the car. Just like a bumper, the insurance company has to replace/repair all damage. It doesn't cover neglect or abuse; so, you can't just scratch the paint and expect them to provide repair. If you keep your car out of the auto car wash, use a speed detailer and absolutely only 100% cotton to dry and detail, you want get any. However, if it gets dull, fades, chalking occurs even if from acid rain, the dreaded bird droppings or even tree sap.... it should be covered. Check with your dealer and ask them. Mine will even remove swirls if they occur. If your get swirls, it is usually because you dry and or attempted to clean with other then 100% cotton or micor fiber towels. Be certain they are clean before using. Dirt or grime on cleaning fabrics can cause scratches. Talk to your dealer, if they are like mine, they'll take care of you in most situations without question.

Last edited by GS350BlacK; 03-28-07 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-27-07, 10:37 PM
GS350BlacK
Driver

Default Expense

Originally Posted by audimerc
Was at the nassautech VIP Exterior protection website and like I said that stuff is only good for about 5 years as it states on its website.

"VIP Exterior Protection Warranty
A 5 year transferable warranty on the factory paint against damage from fading, chalking, and loss of gloss resulting from exposure to the elements. Acid rain, bird droppings and even tree sap are covered."

Also go to Clublexus paint care forums and you will get the same thing from other members who agree that this is just a very expensive wax job.

Here is a link in the CL forums about protectants and waxes and someone actually did a study on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...int+protectant
You are right in the sense that it is expensive; if $675 tugs at your pocket book for a very good protectant; one that is warranted for five years and cuts down on maintenance time. As far as other sites, while interesting to read and can offer insight into such matters, they tend to offer opinions supporting forgone conclusions (i.e. not free of conflict). In short, it becomes a test of dueling experts. I certainly don't have anything aganist dueling experts; I am one in commercial litigation matters. However, to be of value to a reader, the opinion should be free of conflict; real or preceived. I'm not saying your isn't, but I have my opinion and experience too that is supported by peer review. There is no authority on the subject. An authority enacts and enforces laws; and, there is no law that says you can't wax your ride while I clearcoat mine.

This could be dueled out forever. How about we leave it at a gentlemens disagreement. Good luck on your wax on wax off shine. I have seen some that look really good for a time; they even come close to clearcoat. Thanks for the site reference, I'll check it out.

Last edited by GS350BlacK; 03-27-07 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 07:32 AM
Firstlps
Driver

Hey I love your car very nice pics. How about a photo shoot with my red GS?
BTW I am in Surgar Land just name the spot cars of color should support each
other
Old 03-28-07, 07:45 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

GS350, I love black cars and your do look really nice. But I have to agree with audimerc on the paint protection issue. Even with VIP or TST packages, I'd still wax/zaino your car for a long lasting shine. I do not have any of the above package on mine. Only Zaino. Look at my link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226367

Still debating on tint. I had tint on my last car, not sure if I want it on the GS.
Old 03-28-07, 08:21 AM
audimerc
Driver

You two with your beautiful black cars are tempting me to get another black car. But living in Canada really makes that difficult with the winters our cars are white from the salt and road grime. Used to have a black Maxima and I loved washing and waxing the car because after a good wash and wax nothing beats a black car.
Old 03-28-07, 09:10 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Audimerc, you are right. To some, it's a pain to keep a black car. But boy, it's a beauty when it's clean. Here in PA, we do get our share of snow storms. This year has been pretty mild though. This is what I do. Late fall, I'll give it another coat of Zaino. (yes, even the rims). Through out winter time, I'll run it through touchless car wash almost every week, if not, every other week. Depending on where and what is available in you area, it costs me $7 to run through touchless. It doesn't clean as good as the regular car washes, but I do not want any swirl or brush marks on my black paint. Now, the weather is warmer, I'll wash it and give it another coat of zaino. During mid summer, I'll zaino it again. So, in a course of a year, I'll do zaino about 3 times. This is my 3rd black cars and we are looking into getting a black RX350. I love black cars and I do not mind the work!

Quick Reply: GS350 Black on Black - More Pics