GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

anyone got problems with their factory paint????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 01:42 PM
silvercvic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry anyone got problems with their factory paint????

I don't know if its a Lexus thing or just my damn car, but anything small hit my '07, the paint just chips. The worst thing about it, my GS is Black Obsidian and all the chips show....this is starting to **** me off...I love most everything about this car, but the paint is killing me. Today I noticed someone parking real close to me, so I went to investigate the door, no dings, but there was a tiny chip....it wasn't that car since the door didn't line up w/ the chip. I've learned to live with the chips on the front, but this is driving me crazy...

Anyone know if the warranty covers this, or if there is some sort of recall, I just feel like they did a rush job on the exterior paint
Old 03-27-07, 01:59 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

take your concerns to the GM at the dealership you purchased the car from. Maybe there is something you can do.

On the other hand, before I put 25 miles on my car I 3m'd my whole car. The mirrors, the front bumper, the pillars, the lights, the door handles, EVERYTHING.

Since then, I have noticed a few chips on the 3m, but when I have the time to waste, 3m will be replacing it, but the good part about this is that it's just damaged plastic, not chipping the paint.

Invest in a clear bra! I'd even get one now, even if you already have some marks, because it will save your car from future chips.
Old 03-27-07, 02:01 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

No warranty will cover it. It may be cover under your comprehensive policy. Yes, the paint is thin. I have a 06 GS300AWD with Black Onyx and I know what you mean. The week that I got the car, I put on the clearbra right away on the front end. Not sure what you can do with the doors, except park farther away. It's a good exercise to walk anyways.
Old 03-27-07, 02:47 PM
audimerc
Driver

Not a Lexus problem, it is the new environment friendly paints. My Merc has the same problem. Other manufacturer forums have similiar complaints. Only thing you can do is the clear bra. But once you have a clear bra you always have to have a clear bra otherwise the paint under the clear bra will look different from the rest of your car if you decide that you don't want it a couple of years later.
Old 03-27-07, 02:51 PM
silvercvic
Driver School Candidate

The 3M clear sticker/bra, I was about to have installed, only the chips are everywhere but the areas protected; door skin, passenger A-pillar, scratch on rear driver door handle...kind of disturbing to me.

I will try to talk to service tomorrow, I'm just afraid they are going to come back to me and tell me 'wear and tear'. I guess I was hoping there was some sort of recall on this problem.

Its also sad to say, but I'm got to the point where I am afraid to wash my car just to discover more scratches and chips
Old 03-27-07, 02:52 PM
silvercvic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
No warranty will cover it. It may be cover under your comprehensive policy. Yes, the paint is thin. I have a 06 GS300AWD with Black Onyx and I know what you mean. The week that I got the car, I put on the clearbra right away on the front end. Not sure what you can do with the doors, except park farther away. It's a good exercise to walk anyways.

Its funny you say park faraway...I always do, but there is ALWAYS some idiot that feels that they need to park next to me
Old 03-27-07, 02:53 PM
silvercvic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by audimerc
Not a Lexus problem, it is the new environment friendly paints. My Merc has the same problem. Other manufacturer forums have similiar complaints.
I thought all new MB has the acrylic clear coat...is that no good??
Old 03-27-07, 02:54 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I only use touchless car wash, or I'll wash it myself. Now the weather starts to get warmer, time to wash and zaino my car again.
Old 03-27-07, 02:58 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by silvercvic
I thought all new MB has the acrylic clear coat...is that no good??
I have a 2003 E500 and not sure if they had the acrylic clear coat the or not but the paint still chips and I live in Canada with all the salt they put on the road in the winter time and the cars are kicking up the salt crystals have made so many chips on my hood that I had to repaint it.
Old 03-27-07, 03:01 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I thought our GS has clear coat too. It doesn't do any good.
Old 03-27-07, 04:09 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvercvic
I don't know if its a Lexus thing or just my damn car, but anything small hit my '07, the paint just chips. The worst thing about it, my GS is Black Obsidian and all the chips show....this is starting to **** me off...I love most everything about this car, but the paint is killing me. Today I noticed someone parking real close to me, so I went to investigate the door, no dings, but there was a tiny chip....it wasn't that car since the door didn't line up w/ the chip. I've learned to live with the chips on the front, but this is driving me crazy...

Anyone know if the warranty covers this, or if there is some sort of recall, I just feel like they did a rush job on the exterior paint

It's a common complaint. My 2nd GS had similar problems, so after a repaint, I had a clearbra installed.

I decided not to get clearbra on my current GS (since it's a lease), but I sometimes regret that decision. Rocks and road debris are not kind to a dark colored car. My front bumper looks horrible after 1.5 years of So. Cal. freeway driving.
Old 03-27-07, 04:46 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

It's so interesting that you've mentioned this today. I washed the car today and noticed a deep chip in the pillar, along with at least two chips on the hood. Black chips on my beautiful silver car. What made it worse was an oval spot on the edge of the hood in front of the wiper that looks like peeling paint. It's small, but it's lighter than the rest of the paint. I sent an email to the dealer to talk about it, but didn't hear back. My 2000 ES was Diamond White Pearl (black chips); my '03 ES was Blue Onyx Pear (white chips); and now this.
Old 03-27-07, 04:47 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

ouch. I better not have this problem or I will be steamed. They will certainly hear from me if this problem becomes mine.
Old 03-27-07, 07:36 PM
SSoto21
Driver School Candidate

Possible solution if your dealer offers this???
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=272834&page=2
Old 03-28-07, 07:34 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

The VIP protection will not protect against stone/rock chips. They are one of the many protection packages out there. My dealership offer TST which is very similar to the VIP. I chose to do my own, with Zaino! Clear Bra is the best protection against rock chips.

Or, just leave the car in the garage and don't drive it. My wife was trying to tell me that every time I zaino the car.

Quick Reply: anyone got problems with their factory paint????