GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Test Drove 350RWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 03:54 PM
audimerc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove 350RWD

Test drove the GS350rwd a couple of days ago and compared to the 530i and Mercedes E500 I found it to be a decent car. I found the ride to be smooth but when going over bumps in the road the car did not absorb the bumps as well as the 530i or the Merc. Also wind noise was not as subdued as the other two cars.Also I found the legroom to be lacking compared to the E500 due not much room to put your feet under the front chairs when sitting in the back. And lastly the trunk was way too small and useless shape with the wheel well intrusion.

On the other hand I found the Gs to be the quietest car from an engine noise perspective. and the interior is tastefully done. The E class has a tad nicer interior due to the wood trim on the dash but the GS has better integration and fit and finnish (not considering the rattles of course even on the tester, how stupid is that). The steering is not as precise as the BMW but I liked that the GS felt lighter than the other two cars to drive and gave it a sense of nimbleness. Where the GS really shines in my opinion is the value aspect. Compared to the other two cars I am saving atleast $10,000cdn when you have similiar options on the vehicles, and the GS has less major problems. The Merc has many, many problems in quality and design(example my 2003 E500 had tranny rebuilt at 30,000km due to coolant leak into transmission from radiator, due to design defect). Many other major problems too many to list. The 5 series forums people are complaining about alignment problems and a host of electrical problems also. So the dash rattle in the GS seems minor but still annoying.
While the Merc and Bmw might be the best in a certain areas the GS is an allround car. It does everything well and has great value and reliability. And it looks great unlike the 5 series. I will be ordering one soon if I can wait for the 2008 if not then 2007.
Any inside problems I should now about besides the dash rattle?
Old 03-27-07, 04:18 PM
edbern
Driver School Candidate

Great analysis...regarding the rattles in the GS, I will say -- having owned a 2006 GS430 and now driving a 2007 GS350 -- they appear much improved. One would expect that, given it's the second year. My guess is they are all fixable, if they occur; that the dealership will be very willing to address them (unlike the stories I've heard about MB and BMW); and that they are far outweighed by the more seriouls problems on the MB and BMW. And, as you say, the GS is sure nice to look at too! (I've tried hard to buy BMWs myself, but at the end of the day I always go for the Lexus, for the same reasons you cited.)
Old 03-27-07, 04:21 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

GS's are great cars. There are pro's and con's for each model. 350/350AWD/450h/460.

I personally have the 450h, but hate that the trunk is so small, but in comparing the 450h to the other cars you compared the 350 to, the 450h, because of it's AAAS is actually VERY comparable to the others in no body roll... good ride.

I had a 550i, and only wanted to keep one of my two cars, the 450h and the 550i, I choose to release the 550i from my collection and I am very happy with that decision.

The GS is a good compromise in ride quality/ comfort/ luxury and sportiness when you compare it to the others you mentioned.

The MB, well, they do have the highest loyalty from previous customers, but in all readings I have read they have the highest service issues. Meaning they are always in the shop. I didn't want a car that I would have to waste my time taking it to the shop, or even having them pick up my car and leave me without my car. I don't want loaners, I just want a car that is reliable.

The GS450h is the better choice, well it was for me.
Old 03-27-07, 04:28 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by audimerc
Test drove the GS350rwd a couple of days ago and compared to the 530i and Mercedes E500 I found it to be a decent car. I found the ride to be smooth but when going over bumps in the road the car did not absorb the bumps as well as the 530i or the Merc.

But a key question is how the test was conducted. If you rode on run-flat tires, you need to test drive another GS, but one w/o the harsh run-flats.
Old 03-27-07, 07:20 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by edbern
Great analysis...regarding the rattles in the GS, I will say -- having owned a 2006 GS430 and now driving a 2007 GS350 -- they appear much improved. One would expect that, given it's the second year. My guess is they are all fixable, if they occur; that the dealership will be very willing to address them (unlike the stories I've heard about MB and BMW); and that they are far outweighed by the more seriouls problems on the MB and BMW. And, as you say, the GS is sure nice to look at too! (I've tried hard to buy BMWs myself, but at the end of the day I always go for the Lexus, for the same reasons you cited.)
I know what you about the 5 series. I looked at the exterior and I said it's a little ugly but still acceptable but once I open the door and see the real ugly design and the cheap plastic it really turned me off.
Old 03-27-07, 07:22 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by steverhode
But a key question is how the test was conducted. If you rode on run-flat tires, you need to test drive another GS, but one w/o the harsh run-flats.
We Canadians are lucky that we do not get the runflats.