GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350. Windows already tinted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 08:29 PM
cohort
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350. Windows already tinted?

I saw my car today and the windows were tinted. The guy said the tint is in the glass. Is it really? So I can scratch and scratch and nor rip the tint? Of course it wasn't very dark tint but I could tell. Do all 350's have this tint?
Old 03-31-07, 12:43 AM
lexneffect
Pole Position

I think the dealer is bulls***ing you.....never heard of that. Anyone else know for sure?
Old 03-31-07, 02:58 AM
2007GS350
Driver School Candidate

yea...my dealer told me that the car comes with tinted windows. Also, the place that tinted my windows told me that the new GS already comes with tinted windows.
Old 03-31-07, 03:12 AM
cohort
Rookie

Yeah but is that tint really in the window or is it film?
Old 03-31-07, 10:10 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Actually the tent your seeing is a UV and IR characteristic of the glass. The brighter the day (sun) the darker they well get. Kind of like those sunglass that change tent in the sunshine.

Last edited by osokuko; 03-31-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-31-07, 10:16 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, thats a first one I heard. Tinted?!? No way! They probably do have some UV filtering, but tinting is definitely not a factory option or a feature built into glass.
Old 03-31-07, 10:48 AM
cohort
Rookie

Originally Posted by twister
Hmm, thats a first one I heard. Tinted?!? No way! They probably do have some UV filtering, but tinting is definitely not a factory option or a feature built into glass.
I will take a hard look at it when I pick the car up today. I know the window is not CLEAR. It does have some "tinit" or dar color to it. My car was right next to another GS that had CLEAR (no dark color) windows.
Old 03-31-07, 10:56 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the factory UV protection is visible, but no where near as dark as an aftermarket tint job. Maybe the dealer added aftermarket tint?
Old 03-31-07, 11:01 AM
cohort
Rookie

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I agree, the factory UV protection is visible, but no where near as dark as an aftermarket tint job. Maybe the dealer added aftermarket tint?
No, I saw the car once it was delivered to the dealership. It's not DARK but does have a dark apperance when you put it side by side with reg clear glass. If anything it probably has 35% tinit (My camry has tint that is 32% and the Lexus tint seems to be a little lighter.
Old 03-31-07, 12:54 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Maybe they had it tinted for a previous "sale" which fell thru... happens a lot at closing time to some folks.... when I was looking, the dealer had a grey GS that had a custom video/DVD system put into the back headrests that they were trying to sell b/c the original purchaser could not close on the deal for whatever reason.... and they had already had the custom work performed on the car....
Old 03-31-07, 03:02 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Fishy. never heard of actual TINTING. I have heard of "clear" UV sun protection in the window but that's all.
No actual "color" tint.
Old 03-31-07, 04:07 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Ok, I'll change "tented" to dark gray "windows" ha ha, I went to the dealership this morning (sunny day today) to have the wheel locks put on my rims, the guy from MRR was there to answer any question I had about them. We talked rims for a while, then he said you’ll have to tent your windows now then he looked at my GS oh you’ve already tent them. No. Lol, because I had just come from posting here an hour earlier. Maybe my windows look really dark due to the black interior.

Last edited by osokuko; 03-31-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 04:35 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by osokuko
Ok, I'll change "tented" to dark gray "windows" ha ha, I went to the dealership this morning (sunny day today) to have the wheel locks put on my rims, the guy from MRR was there to answer any question I had about them. We talked rims for a while, then he said you’ll have to tent your windows now then he looked at my GS oh you’ve already tent them. No. Lol, because I had just come from posting here an hour earlier. Maybe my windows look really dark due to the black interior.
Sorry, can't help myself.....

I heard of "tinted" and "tint" windows. How in the world do you "tent" your windows?

LOL
Old 03-31-07, 07:20 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Sorry, can't help myself.....

I heard of "tinted" and "tint" windows. How in the world do you "tent" your windows?

LOL
Use canvas instead of film. Really blocks the sun nicely!
Old 03-31-07, 08:57 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

I see. Soooo what! The bottom line is either you like them the way they are or tint them. I kind of like the way the windows look when they turn dark and I save money too

Last edited by osokuko; 03-31-07 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: GS350. Windows already tinted?