GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Nav Hack Tips................

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 10:00 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 Nav Hack Tips................

I just finished the Nav Hack on my GS350 and it works perfectly, Thanks to help from Jace and 2thFxr. I used the switch for the Nav and VSS.

I followed the directions from the Tips section (so I won't repeat them here) and the big Diff between the 6.1 Nav on the GS350 was that the h1 plug is not on the passenger side. It is a totally different plug and it is the center of the three plugs on the Nav unit. Also the wire that is to be cut is on Pin #16 of the h1 plug, which was white with silver spots on the wire.

Here is a closeup of the switch wiring. The two blue wires go to the switch I mounted as described in the Tips section near the VSC switch panel.

Here is a closeup of the ground wire I attached to the top of the Navagation Unit chassis. There is screw there that you can attach a ring terminal to.

Here is the Finished Switch. Not a perfect fit but close. If anyone finds a better fitting switch than what was described in the Tips section, Please let us know.

Here was the panel before I removed the Blank out of it.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 01-20-08 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 10:07 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Very nicee!
Old 04-02-07, 05:14 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Kevin! That's the wrong wire! You need to disconnect that right away before you start your car or else it will fry your $2,000 ignition control module!!!!!!!

April fools! Good job with the mod.
Old 04-02-07, 05:20 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
April fools! Good job with the mod.
Yeah! - I didn't believe anything today!
Old 04-03-07, 07:41 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear it worked seemlessly Kevin! Congrats!

Happy now? I bet.......
Old 07-05-07, 11:46 PM
jyeh74
Driver School Candidate

So which color wire do you "ground" for the dvd hack? What exactly do you mean when you say "ground" it?

When you ground this wire, does it enable dvd playback and BT and music folders while driving? sorry for the newbie question

Cut-throat, where did you buy the switch at Lowes??? Looks pretty stock to me!
thanks!

Last edited by jyeh74; 07-05-07 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-06-07, 05:53 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyeh74
So which color wire do you "ground" for the dvd hack? What exactly do you mean when you say "ground" it?

When you ground this wire, does it enable dvd playback and BT and music folders while driving? sorry for the newbie question

Cut-throat, where did you buy the switch at Lowes??? Looks pretty stock to me!
thanks!
Jason... I have told you this numerous times via PM and e-mail. You do NOT have ML in your 3GS, so forget about the DVD hack. You have no wire to ground.

Just to answer your question though, it's a yellow wire carrying the parking signal. To ground it, simply attach a ring terminal and secure it on the metal frame. In addition, this wire alone doesn't enable DVD playback and BT by-pass. Again, as I have informed you, it is the disruption of the speed signal that allows this...

This is not even about a newbie question or not, to me, it is more about reading and comprehension.

Lastly, Cut-Throat bought the switch at Lowe's. Are you asking him for specific aisle number?!

And no that doesn't look stock because there are 2 tiny gaps on the side of the switch. The feel of the switch feels different and the shape doesn't fit the opening.
Old 07-06-07, 05:56 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Jason... I have told you this numerous times via PM and e-mail. You do NOT have ML in your 3GS, so forget about the DVD hack. You have no wire to ground.

Just to answer your question though, it's a yellow wire carrying the parking signal. To ground it, simply attach a ring terminal and secure it on the metal frame. In addition, this wire alone doesn't enable DVD playback and BT by-pass. Again, as I have informed you, it is the disruption of the speed signal that allows this...

This is not even about a newbie question or not, to me, it is more about reading and comprehension.

Lastly, Cut-Throat bought the switch at Lowe's. Are you asking him for specific aisle number?!

And no that doesn't look stock because there are 2 tiny gaps on the side of the switch. The feel of the switch feels different and the shape doesn't fit the opening.
Thank you for handling this!
Old 07-06-07, 09:14 AM
jyeh74
Driver School Candidate

Andy,

Actually, I called the dealer and told them I wanted to add the ML package so I can have dvd playback. And yes, I am asking him where at Lowes he bought it. Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-06-07, 09:40 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jyeh74
Andy,

Actually, I called the dealer and told them I wanted to add the ML package so I can have dvd playback. And yes, I am asking him where at Lowes he bought it. Thanks for the responses.
Just ask someone at Lowes where there rocker switches are kept. Mine was in the same area as other electrical stuff.
Old 07-06-07, 10:35 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815

Hmm... someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. A little harsh but still funny as hell.
Old 10-10-07, 06:22 AM
drogot
Driver School Candidate

I did this mod and it works perfectly! The switch I used I also found at lowes. The item is GSW-45...Gardner-Bender spst. Fits nicely!
Old 10-10-07, 08:14 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drogot
I did this mod and it works perfectly! The switch I used I also found at lowes. The item is GSW-45...Gardner-Bender spst. Fits nicely!
Is it the same switch that I used in my picture? Mine does not fit quite right. It has some very small gaps on the sides. If yours fits better, I'll switch. Can you post a picture of yours?
Old 10-11-07, 05:11 AM
drogot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Is it the same switch that I used in my picture? Mine does not fit quite right. It has some very small gaps on the sides. If yours fits better, I'll switch. Can you post a picture of yours?
No, it's not the same switch. This one has a black border around it. Here's a link...http://www.electricalreference.com/G...k-1076953.html. I'll post a pic of mine later today.
Old 10-11-07, 05:42 AM
drogot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Good switch, bad pictures! Yes, the center console clears the switch even with pressure on the armrest.
Attached Thumbnails GS350 Nav Hack Tips................-sw.jpg  

Last edited by drogot; 10-11-07 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: GS350 Nav Hack Tips................