GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake pad replacement per TSIB.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-07, 08:06 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad replacement per TSIB.

My car is going under the knife tomorrow for the low-dusting brake pad replacement and an oil change. How often do you guys rotate your tires? They say every 5k miles but I think they just want my money. 10k seems sufficient because I figure the tires will last less than 20k regardless.

It was a beautiful day today and I was taking some shots of my boys riding their bikes. I noticed something interesting so I thought I would share it with you guys. I inadvertently created my own little traffic jam in my driveway.

Old 04-02-07, 08:28 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Pretty sweet collection you have there. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what tie I am going to wear in the morning...wish I had your problem of trying to figure out which new car I am going to drive that day... haha. Nice pic..house looks cool too
Old 04-02-07, 08:28 PM
Khankn32
Driver

Default -

Damn, you a BALLA loving all the cars man
Old 04-02-07, 08:41 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, every car gets "DRB INC#" license plate? Nice!!!
Old 04-02-07, 10:26 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Nice collection

FWIW, I get my tires rotated at every service. Good time to check if the tires are wearing evenly.
Old 04-03-07, 04:38 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Nice!
You need a bigger house! Your boys have no room to ride their bikes!!
Old 04-03-07, 07:54 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

How do you like that GL? My wife was wondering if it's maint free like her GX and if it would be worth possibly getting one of those or wait for the new redone LX coming out soon......

I want maint free (you can understand) but a nice car and a safe car.

The GX is top notch, and we like the LX's (her parents have a newer one) so I know how they are/drive ex.

Just wondering from your personal exp. is the MB worth it or will I be dissapointed if I compare it to the new LX or even possibly the RL (the new MB crossover). Appologize if the initials are incorrect.

J
Old 04-03-07, 09:53 AM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jace7
How do you like that GL? My wife was wondering if it's maint free like her GX and if it would be worth possibly getting one of those or wait for the new redone LX coming out soon......

The GX is top notch, and we like the LX's (her parents have a newer one) so I know how they are/drive ex.

Just wondering from your personal exp. is the MB worth it or will I be dissapointed if I compare it to the new LX or even possibly the RL (the new MB crossover). Appologize if the initials are incorrect.

J
Only BMW and SAAB offer free maintenance these days. Audi and MB now charge for maintenance.
Old 04-03-07, 12:09 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hughh
Only BMW and SAAB offer free maintenance these days. Audi and MB now charge for maintenance.
Yup, but I believe you can purchase a pre-paid maintenance contract through MB. Kind of stupid but I was told it was available.
Old 04-03-07, 12:15 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jace7

J
The GL is a great car! It drives like no other SUV out there and actually feels quicker than my wife's S500. It has the new gen V8 so it's extremely smooth and rev happy compared to the lumpy older V8s. The ride is amazing for an SUV and it's as comfortable as a sedan. The unibody construction makes a huge difference.

I have driven the LX and there is no comparison. A body on frame design simply can't compare. I had a 2004 Denali XL before the GL and it was pretty much a slam dunk that I was going to get the new Escalade ESV with the 400+hp engine. I loved it but the one day I went to get a wiper blade for my wife's car so I test drove it. The rest as they say, is history.

Huge sacrifice in room behind the 3rd row compared to a Escalade ESV, Yukon XL, Suburban but I got a Yakima rooftop carrier and all is good. Even without the carrier, there is far more room than an Expedition or regular sized Yukon/Tahoe.
Old 04-03-07, 12:16 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

So, what was the problem with the brake pads? - Just lots of dust? - I'm getting this also. Will the dealership just replace them if you ask?
Old 04-03-07, 12:45 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
So, what was the problem with the brake pads? - Just lots of dust? - I'm getting this also. Will the dealership just replace them if you ask?
It turns out that during emergency braking, the metal backing on the pads distorts and gouges the rotor. Once the rotor is gouged, it can crack the next time you have to brake hard. There have been several incidents where fractured rotors have led to crashes and there is a class action law suit notice that went out last week. I would suggest that you get it taken care of ASAP!

Oops, I forgot that it's not April 1st anymore! TSIB BR002-06 excessive brake dust
Old 04-03-07, 05:26 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
How often do you guys rotate your tires? They say every 5k miles but I think they just want my money. 10k seems sufficient because I figure the tires will last less than 20k regardless.
Well, you could write a check through DRB Inc. With a nice collection of yours, not suprising they (dealer) want more of your $$...
Old 04-03-07, 05:54 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Dang, with a collection and house like that, I can officially say that I made it pretty well for myself. But I don't see that day coming anytime soon.
Old 04-03-07, 06:04 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally, they recommend rotating your tires everytime you go in for an oil change, but you can do it every other time...