GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Automatic Climate Control - Auto Recycle/Fresh Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 11:30 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Automatic Climate Control - Auto Recycle/Fresh Air

I went to dealer today to have the Lexus Personalized Setting done. This is what I want but the service rep (a female) told it CAN'T be done:

-When Auto (close to driver) is selected, I want Auto Recycle/Fresh Air (close to passenger side) to stay on Auto unless I de-select it. Right now the factory setting puts the Auto Recycle/Fresh to Fresh Air every time I restart the car, (if the setting before ignition off is Auto Recycle/Fresh).

Another thing she told me it can't be done is:

-I want the door to be locked automatically as soon as I turn the engine on, not until I gear out of "Parking". (My Highlander can do this)

Is she lying? I have no faith in her when she was talking to me, you know the feeling from her facial expression. Or is the auto climate does what she told me for other Lexus models too?

Thanks for your input.

Automatic Climate Control - Auto Recycle/Fresh Air-dsc00125-samll_2.jpg

Last edited by memasterac; 04-14-07 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 02:37 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think she's correct about the auto door lock. You can lock it the moment you shift out of park or auto lock once you go above a set speed. Mine is set for locking above a set speed. My Sienna is set to lock once you get out of park.
I Don't think I ever seen a car lock the moment you push the start button. Dunno about turn key cars.
Old 04-14-07, 06:30 PM
Avid1
Rookie

Your dealership should be able to give you a list of personalized settings for your GS. I've learned that if it's not on the list, it can't be done.
Old 04-15-07, 05:36 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's what can be set with the Lexus personalized settings:

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/l...453697&p_olh=0

You can have the doors lock either at 13 mph or when you shift out of park. No option to link it to engine start.

It does appear that the air recirculation can be set to automatic -- in fact, that's the default. Maybe your car was changed once already?

HTH
Old 04-15-07, 10:32 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by larrs
Here's what can be set with the Lexus personalized settings:

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/l...453697&p_olh=0

You can have the doors lock either at 13 mph or when you shift out of park. No option to link it to engine start.

It does appear that the air recirculation can be set to automatic -- in fact, that's the default. Maybe your car was changed once already?

HTH
It says in the link you sent than the only option other than the standard is: "When the climate control is turned on, the user must manually select the desired mode, recirculation or fresh aid mode."

Now my question is this. Assume you choose the option above. What is the climate control set to when you turn the A/C on? Is it: 1) the last setting you had, 2) defaults to recirculate, 3) defaults to fresh air, or 4) ???

Personally, I want it to ALWAYS default to recirculate unless I tell it otherwise. I'd don't want to smell the outside world.
Old 04-16-07, 01:37 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
Personally, I want it to ALWAYS default to recirculate unless I tell it otherwise. I'd don't want to smell the outside world.
What you want is what I have now. It can be done. If you select the Recirculate/Auto/Fresh button to recirculate, it simply stays there (no matter how many times you retart the engine).

I, however, did not want that setup... I want it always stay on Auto-select between recirculated and fresh air after the car is restarted. But now it changes back to fresh air every time the car is restarted.

It's not that critical of a thing if my desired setting can't be achieved. I was just want to know if it is available, I don't want to be fooled by the service rep.

Lexus Personalized Setting - 15 Air Conditioner: Automatic recirculation of air when using A/C
When the air conditioner is ON or in AUTO, the vehicle can be programmed for the following:
1. To automatically switch between the recirculation mode and fresh air mode as necessary to meet the
temperature requirement set. (Standard)
2. When the climate control is turned on, the user must manually select the desired mode, recirculation
or fresh air mode. (Optional)

The standard setting does not say it will change back to fresh air mode after you restar the car... but it does.

Last edited by memasterac; 04-16-07 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-16-07, 10:48 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

eww I hate fresh air. Um..wait. you know what I mean.
I swear every time I have the air on auto circulate(sp) and it goes to fresh, because the a/c was on, it smells stale and then I get the smells from outside. Cant stand that. I just hit mine to inside circulate and it stays. Dunno what happened to yours, sorry.
Old 04-16-07, 08:15 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Try turning your smog sensor up to high....maybe that'll work....mines' on high and it always stays in recycle mode....
Old 04-16-07, 09:29 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

What!?!?!? Smog in Hawaii?!?!?! You should have that puppy on fresh air only!
Old 04-17-07, 12:15 AM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
What!?!?!? Smog in Hawaii?!?!?! You should have that puppy on fresh air only!
I live by the ocean and sometimes that saltwater smell really does get pretty bad...
Old 04-17-07, 08:22 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

complain complain..... eww the salty air, bah....