GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

body color paint not matching

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 02:42 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body color paint not matching

Ok, I'm aware its hard to match paint which isn't painted on all at the same time, but I seem to be noticing this alot more on my car. I have the "gold" colored GS350. I noticed the running plastic stip on the top of the car, the rear spoiler is more a brighter shade of gold like yellow than the rest of teh car. Anybody else sees this on theirs?
Old 04-14-07, 03:27 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gold is the hardest color to color match. Chardonnay pearl, which is what you have, is a unique gold and an incredibly difficult color to match. Plastic parts will usually look different because they require a FLEXATIVE added to the paint in order to allow the paint to flex with the bendable plastic. This flexative can alter the color, however, there are places out there that can adjust for this. Usually you will see this in the form of plastic bumper covers in front and back and spoilers not matching the metal parts next to them. Some companies do a better job of this than others. The worst I've seen is Honda/Acura, if you notice a white Honda and expecially the Acura TL, the bumper will be beige. A certain level of difference is normal however this job is a joke. Another reason never to buy a Honda or Acura because even if you point this out to them they'll tell you to ****** off.

Now, was your car wrecked or are you talking about all factory fresh paint?
Old 04-14-07, 05:54 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

God no. its new and unhurt. hehe. I just tend to notice it more now that its sunny more and I have it parked outside when I was it.
Old 04-14-07, 09:35 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its normal....don't worry be happy! Post pics! Chardonnay is a killer color...we want to see it in the Hawaii sun!
Old 04-18-07, 11:49 PM
hyperrev
Driver School Candidate

I have the same color as yours. It bothered me to the point that I would start looking at other Lexus' with the same color. Where I live there are only two GS 300's with Chardonnay Pearl, and the other guys car doesn't seem to be as bad as mine. I went to the dealer, and they told me that it was normal, but I pointed out to them, that if it is normal why do the door jams match the bumpers, and not the body. They concurred that it seemed strange that the plastic and rubber parts were way off. I even told them to look at the IS 250 and 350's that have a similar color. None of those had the problem that my car was exhibiting. They agreed to take my car in and see if they can do something with it because of paint failure. Lexus in Japan is giving them the go under warranty, but I have no idea what they plan on doing because it has been about a month that they have my car. I am in no hurry, as long as they do it right.
Old 04-19-07, 12:29 PM
freight400
Driver School Candidate

I have Flint Mica, and I have noticed the same thing on my car. The plastic that runs along the roof is a little lighter than the metal parts of the car.
Old 04-20-07, 01:47 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yup exactly. I can see why plastic part don't match 100% but it must be the type of plastic too that causes this. As my bumpers and the little attenna fin matches well.
Old 04-20-07, 01:57 PM
samster
Pole Position

the paint never matches 100% even if you paint the car with the same batch of paint, alum or metal body panels vs plastic panels will always be slighty off no matter what sometimes not noticeable to reg peopels eye but a painter sure would be able to notice it. The effect of the differnce is because the chemical bond of paint to surface matrial doesn't matter if its a honda or a lexus or a benz it is still sligthy differnt, expescially on dark colors with mice or pearl it will be easier to notice the differnce in shade or tone. Its very impossible to not have a differance even if u paid for a $10,000 quaity paint job. you could have ur car redoen professional stripped, primed, and primed with differnt coats and spray some good sealer then it might reduce the differce more then factory
Old 04-20-07, 04:14 PM
hyperrev
Driver School Candidate

It is normal to have a shade or two off in terms of color variance, but this was off by about five shades or more. This mismatch in paint still does not answer the question: why does the door jambs which are metal based match the rubber and plastic parts. The rubber especially on the bumper is a rich gold, as to the rest of the body where it takes on a silvery hue. I am very critical of color, because I of the field I am in. Anyway, the car did not exhibit this paint characteristic, until after a year. Even Lexus asked if I had repainted the car because it looked two-tone. This was during a scheduled 15,000 miles service.