GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

To tint, or not to tint...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 05:02 PM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it tint it FOR SUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 04-17-07, 05:36 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

There's always shops around that will either meet or beat another dealer's price. However, I'm a strict believer in quality and rather have it done right the first time. Sometimes, it means to pay a little more but in the end, you have less problems, inconveniences, and a good quality product.

Originally Posted by Rexus300
What do you guys think of Ziebart Car tinting shop? I got a quote today for 195 dollars for all windows except front windshield with 25% tint titanium? I think thats a great cheap price, it also comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-17-07, 06:21 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check with your state law for tinting requirements first. For example, here in NJ you are not allowed to tint front side windows, only back and the rear window. Some people do tint front side windows which give cops more reasons to pull you over (my brother-in-law is a cop ). Than everytime you have to go through the inspection, you will have to take tint down, otherwise they will not pass you...

But, I did have my previous ES350 tinted with 35% which looked darker due to a black interior. You can check pics here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234915. No plans to tint my GS350, but I might consider something similar to GreatSmile solution with 50% HuperOptic (can't wait to see your pictures!!!).
Old 04-17-07, 07:34 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I'll post up pic when I get it done. I just can't find time to get up to NYC until the beginning of May. There are shops in MD and PA who will do the tint for lot cheaper, but I am not getting a $99 tints job on my baby. Besides, I want to use ceramic film, not some cheap film that will turn purple. I want the best! Tom has served as a trainer for Huper Optik (HO). If you check out his site, he's done tons of very expansive cars. He is highly recommended by several people. So, I'll be spending a day in NYC. After dropping my car off, I'll go shopping at B&H photo with my buddy.
Old 04-17-07, 08:02 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Yeah that tint level will probably do. I started out with that but just wasn't dark enough.

I did 20% on my GS350 and I love it. Not too dark. I have had down to 5% and up to 25%. The 25% was on my black BMWs windshield, yes, the entire windshield. lol. It was too dark on some streets, but I never got headlight glare.

The tint shop should have a way of demo'ing the different levels. Maybe static cling samples?

If you are debating between tint and no tint, 35% may be perfect.

I love 20%...

Here is 5% windows and 25% windshield...

Last edited by GlockMan9c; 04-17-07 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-19-07, 07:27 AM
NJSID
Driver

I have a stupid question....I live in NJ and cannot tint front windows but I would like to tint the rear for my children. How stupid would it look to tint just the back? If anyone has a photo please post or if someone is a computer whiz and can photoshop a pic of a 07 gs350 glacier frost mici with just the rear tinted it would be great. Maybe once I see how bad it would look I will get the idea out of my mind!
Old 04-19-07, 08:00 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@NJSID: it will look terrible. I see one black 3GS parked on a way to work, they got back-side and rear window tinted, while front is clear. Looks like a limo. It just wrong... Maybe if you put 20% or 35% on rear window, and lighter 45%-50% on back side windows, it will make transition contrast less noticeable. I'm in a same boat since I can't really put car seat in the middle due to the hump in the middle, so my daughter is close to the window and sun bothers her. And, NO WAY am I putting those pull-down shades with Barney or Poo on my 3GS windows And even so I'm thinking about 50% huper optic, I don't think it will block much of the sunlight. So, better keep it clean. I know a few people who keep it all tinted, and every time they have to go for a car inspection, they head over to tint shop to remove it and than re-apply after the inspection. What a pain in the ****!!!
Old 04-19-07, 11:22 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

In my old Acura TLs, I had 35% in the back and 50% in the front two windows. Here in PA, no problem with state inspection with that car. Even when I got pull over for speeding near Chester county, the cop asked me to roll up the window so he can see my tint. No problem that time either. Maybe I was lucky... When I talked with Tom from Art of Tint, he won't even consider doing two different shade film. I was thinking doing the same (35% and 50%) or (50% and 60%). He said he doesn't like to do these "taxi" look tint, and asked me to consider either all 60% or 50%. I am going with 50%! I just can't wait to get it done!

Twister.. I'll post up tons of pictures.... meaning... tons!!!! like some of the other thread here... just for you!
Old 04-19-07, 11:24 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

In my old Acura TLs, I had 35% in the back and 50% in the front two windows. Here in PA, I had no problem with state inspection with that car. Even when I got pull over for speeding near Chester county, the cop asked me to roll up the window so he can see my tint.... No problem that time either. Maybe I was lucky... When I talked with Tom from Art of Tint, he won't even consider doing two different shade film. I was thinking doing the same (35% and 50%) or (50% and 60%). He said he doesn't like to do these "taxi" look tint, and asked me to consider either all 60% or 50%. I am going with 50%! I just can't wait to get it done!

Twister.. I'll post up tons of pictures.... meaning... tons!!!! like some of the other thread here... just for you!
Old 04-19-07, 11:25 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

sorry about the double post... not sure what happened.
Old 04-20-07, 08:27 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I'm not a fan of tint, but seems like I'm in the minority here. If you like it, get it - guess that's all I can say.
Old 04-20-07, 09:26 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 35% love it!!!

I cannot imagine life without tint!
Attached Thumbnails To tint, or not to tint...that is the question-gs3.jpg  
Old 04-20-07, 10:39 AM
Toasterdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think u should tint it. My GS looks sweet tinted not too mention your AC will work better, car will stay cooler while parked, UV rays won't destroy your interior, much more privacy. It's the best $180 or so u can spend on your car IMO, especially in the south.
Old 04-20-07, 10:58 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

always tint
Old 04-20-07, 03:10 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my car tinted yesterday, and I notice several or more small air bubbles on my tint, will they go away as the tint dries and cures up in the next few days? They are very very small, and I hear that ppl say the drying of those bubbles depend on the temperature outside. Its getting warmer at aroudn 60 here in Michigan, so I hope they will go away. Anyone had this or know about this>

Quick Reply: To tint, or not to tint...that is the question