GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Low dusting pad update

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 04:13 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

squealing? Hmm.. dirty rims or squealing. Hmm.. I hope he's wrong. I think I would rather have dirty rims.
hey how do I know if they really swap the pads? Besides it being more dust free?
Old 04-21-07, 05:22 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbbreeden
My GS350 AWD is in for the pad update today. The service guys said, "Gotta warn you; the no-dust pads squeal." That's the first time I'd heard the trade-off was "dust or squeals."

I said, "Do it!"

We'll see how it goes. I'm driving the ES loaner tonight.
I don't have any problems squealing but that's not really anything to worry about. The TSIB doesn't have a warning about squealing and TSIBs are not readily available to the general public unless you dig for them so if they squeal..... just go back and get them replaced because they squeal. I had a 2003 Camry SE 4cyl as well as a 2005 Solara SLE V6 and neither one of them had brake dust. It was pretty amazing to see that and if I had to guess, they must be using a similar pad compound for the low dusting update. I had no braking issues or squealing with those pads and don't anticipate any with these pads.
Old 04-21-07, 05:33 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Had my brake pads replaced as well. I, too, was told by the service people that the new pads will squeek but only after a little driving. They told me that part of the reason the original pads are quiet is due to the softer compound and some other stuff (can't remember). They said the new pads don't have whatever it is and the absence of it will make it begin to squeek after a little bit.

The last part of what they said, I don't know if they were lying but told me that once we decide to put the soft pads on, then they have no obligation to reinstall the old ones if we don't like the new pads.....anyone else hear this???

Curtis
Old 04-21-07, 05:55 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexneffect
Had my brake pads replaced as well. I, too, was told by the service people that the new pads will squeek but only after a little driving. They told me that part of the reason the original pads are quiet is due to the softer compound and some other stuff (can't remember). They said the new pads don't have whatever it is and the absence of it will make it begin to squeek after a little bit.

The last part of what they said, I don't know if they were lying but told me that once we decide to put the soft pads on, then they have no obligation to reinstall the old ones if we don't like the new pads.....anyone else hear this???

Curtis
This is complete BS on the part of the dealership! - I have had lots of cars that did not produce this amount of brake dust and they didn't squeal. My 99 GS300 brakes were a case in point!
Old 04-21-07, 08:25 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

no one at my dealership indicated that squeaking would be an issue... but then again, there was zero discussion. It went something like: "...in addition to the oil change, can you also perform TSIB BR002-06 - current brake pads are producing too much dust." No arguments, no questions, just a surprised look and a nod.
Old 04-22-07, 06:06 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
This is complete BS on the part of the dealership! - I have had lots of cars that did not produce this amount of brake dust and they didn't squeal. My 99 GS300 brakes were a case in point!
Well, that's the point. This GS 350 is my SEVENTH Lexus and the only one with any dusting problem. NONE have ever squealed. If I get squeals, the brakes will get fixed until I don't get squeals, or I squeal on the service department to Lexus NA. Dealers are usually very conscious of their service reputation at Lexus NA.
Old 04-22-07, 10:48 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

thanks 2thfxr for the reminder of the change out...I have an appt on Tuesday to replace mine...the svc techs at Lexus of Jax didn't really know about the tsib until they went to talk to the parts mgr and he printed it out and said they have 2 in stock for me...only takes about 45 min to put on according to him. Svc rep offered no opinion in any way on good or bad. Unfortunately, my wifes IS250 2006 has worse brake dust than mine but only the IS350 was also listed on that report which means i have to keep cleaning hers myself once a week b/c i hate to look at it and she doesn't really even care...imagine that ( i think its her way since she knows i will always do it anyway for her...haha)
Old 04-24-07, 06:31 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Yup, I'm getting those dirty pads replaced this Friday!
Old 04-24-07, 06:44 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any squealing at all. Keeping the fingers crossed.
Old 04-24-07, 09:25 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

1250 miles and nothing unusual.
Old 04-24-07, 10:17 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbreeden
For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any squealing at all. Keeping the fingers crossed.
Over 8k miles and no problems with my replacements.
Old 04-24-07, 10:30 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
1250 miles and nothing unusual.
Boy.. I thought you just got them replaced and you already logged in 1250 miles? You do drive alot!!!! It probably takes me a month and half to put on 1250 miles.
Old 04-24-07, 05:38 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Here is the TSIB.
Attached Thumbnails Low dusting pad update-tsibreduced4.jpg  

Last edited by osokuko; 04-24-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-24-07, 06:03 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Boy.. I thought you just got them replaced and you already logged in 1250 miles? You do drive alot!!!! It probably takes me a month and half to put on 1250 miles.
I do 2k miles+ month on this car alone.
Old 04-25-07, 06:41 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I do 2k miles+ month on this car alone.
You must be fixing a lot of 2ths in that car then

Quick Reply: Low dusting pad update