GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Low dusting pad update

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 11:27 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
It's a few days after having the TSIB done and I have a pretty thick black coating on my wheels. I noticed some black the day after I had them done. I guess my expectations were too high, but after reading some posts about wheels staying clean for a week or two after having the original pads replaced, I was hoping for the same.
That doesn't sound right because these pads have almost zero dust. I can seriously go about 2 weeks or 1k miles before seeing anything on them. The post-TSIB photo I posted showed how clean the wheels were after 2 weeks and 1200 miles of driving. Maybe they didn't change your pads? Is there any improvement at all?
Old 07-24-07, 10:23 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Less than a week, the wheels are filthy black. They've been filthy black for 2 or 3 days. What a disappointment.
Old 07-24-07, 11:33 AM
composite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by varcity64
this is why i LOVE CL... i was thinking the other day how bad the dust is and how crazy it drives me. i am going to call my dealer first thing in the morning!
I couldn't agree more. I love this website. Before reading this, I would've suffered through the brake dust silently w/ more frequent car washes.
Old 07-26-07, 09:08 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resistance from Dealership

I called my dealership to make an appt for the replacement and was told that in order to get the new pads, the rotors need to be resurfaced. A $200 charge, at my cost. They also mentioned that the life of the brakes is 15K and it will cost more to have them replaced. I plan on calling back to talk to the Service Manager. If there is a TSIB, I do not care how much work YOU need to do. Just do it.
Old 07-26-07, 04:23 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stefnee
I called my dealership to make an appt for the replacement and was told that in order to get the new pads, the rotors need to be resurfaced. A $200 charge, at my cost. They also mentioned that the life of the brakes is 15K and it will cost more to have them replaced. I plan on calling back to talk to the Service Manager. If there is a TSIB, I do not care how much work YOU need to do. Just do it.
Behavior like that makes no sense to me at all. If Lexus dealers are so customer oriented, what's with the Soup **** attitude regarding warranty service? They get paid to do warranty service so it's a win/win situation for them. Customer is happy, they get paid, what more could they ask for? You might want to open a complaint with Lexus corporate and find another dealership.
Old 07-27-07, 05:34 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

^^^ what he said.
Old 07-27-07, 05:30 PM
Toasterdog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
It's a few days after having the TSIB done and I have a pretty thick black coating on my wheels. I noticed some black the day after I had them done. I guess my expectations were too high, but after reading some posts about wheels staying clean for a week or two after having the original pads replaced, I was hoping for the same.
The first time I brought my GS to have this done. They replaced the old pad with a new version of the same one. I realized this after i had alot of dust after a week. I went back, complained and they said they had to order the right pad.
They made a mistake and i bet your dealership did the same.
Old 07-27-07, 07:22 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Toasterdog
The first time I brought my GS to have this done. They replaced the old pad with a new version of the same one. I realized this after i had alot of dust after a week. I went back, complained and they said they had to order the right pad.
They made a mistake and i bet your dealership did the same.
That's interesting information. When I spoke w/service, I was told that Lexus states there will be "less dust," not "very little" or "no" dust. If you happen to have your paperwork, I'd love to know the part # for the pad kit. I have my papers, but I would have no idea if the part # is the correct one.
Old 07-28-07, 04:44 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

Here you go Mel
04465-30400
I had it done a few days ago, and I would describe as very little dust, about what the rear pads produce.
Old 07-29-07, 05:29 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rkb43
Here you go Mel
04465-30400
I had it done a few days ago, and I would describe as very little dust, about what the rear pads produce.
Thanks, rkb!
Old 07-29-07, 05:46 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

That's BS, You should deffinetly talk to a manager.
Old 07-29-07, 08:02 AM
sonikbo0m
Driver

That's ridiculous. My dealer changed out the brakes and the rotors when I bought it in for the TSIB.
Old 07-30-07, 06:19 AM
GSJeff
Driver School Candidate

If anyone wants to see the TSIB here is a link for it:
http://is350.grantham-international....ake%20Pads.pdf

Just picked up my GS 350 AWD on Saturday and cannot believe the amount of dust from just the first 100 miles. Taking it in next week to get the pads replaced.
Old 07-30-07, 08:28 AM
StevenC56
Driver

Question Labor On TSB

I just read the PDF on the brake pads. It only gives .6 to .7 hours labor to the dealer and makes no mention of machining or replacing the rotors. It looks like they just want the dealer to replace the pads and let the new pads seat into the rotors. If some dealers are machining or replacing the rotors they may very well be absorbing that themselves or possibly goodwilling the expense as it doesn't look like Lexus is taking care of that under the normal warranty claims procedure.
Old 07-30-07, 08:50 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StevenC56
I just read the PDF on the brake pads. It only gives .6 to .7 hours labor to the dealer and makes no mention of machining or replacing the rotors. It looks like they just want the dealer to replace the pads and let the new pads seat into the rotors. If some dealers are machining or replacing the rotors they may very well be absorbing that themselves or possibly goodwilling the expense as it doesn't look like Lexus is taking care of that under the normal warranty claims procedure.
Correct about letting them "bed in". I had the TSIB done after 10k miles of driving and much to my surprise, they didn't turn the rotors. As I posted originally, there was a slightly different pedal feel. I could easily lock up the wheels at will but I needed to apply a little extra pedal pressure with moderate stopping. After 5k miles, everything is back to normal and they are just as grabby as the old pads. It makes sense though because until the pads "bed in", I probably only had about 70-80% pad/rotor contact.

Quick Reply: Low dusting pad update