GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

transmission flare while decelerating in PWR mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 01:53 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default transmission flare while decelerating in PWR mode?

Just noticed today that if I am driving around in PWR mode (vs ECT) and I am cruising around 50-60 MPH and then apply the brakes evenly to come to a stop, that the transmission flares up a bit somewhere between 3000 and 1500 RPM. In other words, I can see the needle hit 1500RPM and then jump back up to 2500RPM, before going back down past 1500RPM. Of course, this is noticeable while braking even if I weren't looking at the tachometer, as you can feel some difference in braking while that is happening. This is hardly noticeable in ECT mode.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 04-21-07, 01:55 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Just noticed today that if I am driving around in PWR mode (vs ECT) and I am cruising around 50-60 MPH and then apply the brakes evenly to come to a stop, that the transmission flares up a bit somewhere between 3000 and 1500 RPM. In other words, I can see the needle hit 1500RPM and then jump back up to 2500RPM, before going back down past 1500RPM. Of course, this is noticeable while braking even if I weren't looking at the tachometer, as you can feel some difference in braking while that is happening. This is hardly noticeable in ECT mode.

Anyone else experience this?
I would think this is just a downshift...
Old 04-21-07, 02:21 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a downshift to slow the car down. It doesn't have to be in PWR mode. I also noticed it in normal mode. I was going 45 (downhill) and they apply brake to slow down, the tranny just downshift causing rpm to go up. It will not upshift until I apply gas. Samething had happend on my TLs before. GS seems to be more sensitive than the TLs.
Old 04-21-07, 02:32 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

that makes sense... and I thought that it may have been a downshift, but it was not very noticeable when it did occur while in ECT mode - however, in PWR mode, it was very noticeable. Spoke with service advisor about it this afteroon, and he didn't really know. Told me the other day they just have not had many GS350's come through when I went in for my 5000 service.

Would you believe I rolled into the Lexus service department just as my odometer was showing 5000 miles??? The service advisor said I planned it. I told him I had better things to do with my time!
Old 04-22-07, 09:50 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not as bad as my lexus in Pwr mode, it flares to 4000 rpm sometimes when accelerating to 80 and breaking several times to 50-60, its not a very well thought out PWR system. It downshifts so slowly that my car one time took a hard beating when I had to really break so fast in a dead stop on a highway. I am going to get it checked out, but it occasionally happens.
Old 04-23-07, 05:57 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DEFINITELY agree that the power mode was not well thought
out. I get the same problem with abrupt braking as the car
downshifts quickly and stays on the wrong gear for an extended
period. It can even be a bit scary at times as the car revs more
than usual...
Old 04-23-07, 10:34 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

It's not a problem nor is it poor design. Power mode is designed so the tranny holds gears longer and downshifts while slowing down so the engine remains in it's power band for quick acceleration. What were you expecting out of a transmission's "Power" mode, an afterburner, increased boost from the flux capacitor?
Old 04-24-07, 06:53 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

I've yet to even press the PWR button. When do you guys use it? Must you shift manually when its in use? Whats the benefits? Do you just turn it on when some ******* wants to race at a light?
Old 04-24-07, 07:25 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
It's not a problem nor is it poor design. Power mode is designed so the tranny holds gears longer and downshifts while slowing down so the engine remains in it's power band for quick acceleration. What were you expecting out of a transmission's "Power" mode, an afterburner, increased boost from the flux capacitor?
I go back and forth on this thing. For the most part it works well, but
I wish it would upshift faster after I slammed on the brakes and it recovered
quicker...
Old 04-24-07, 10:40 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
I've yet to even press the PWR button. When do you guys use it? Must you shift manually when its in use? Whats the benefits? Do you just turn it on when some ******* wants to race at a light?
You have never used the power mode???? It gives you twice as fast upshift and more power band when accelerating and changing lanes. You do not have to push your foot down too much to get the GS300 to move with a push back feeling. I use it when I want to get on the highway quickly to merge and to change lanes and for fun. No, you do not need to use the manual shifting in power mode, you can use it if you like. Gas mileage is very close to standard mode with minus 1-2 mpg, so its useful and no negative problems.

However, its dangerous that the car does not downshift if there needs to be a quick braking or if someone comes in front of you or if you accerate alot and have to slow down, the car will jerk while braking because the gears are still slowly downshifting. I had to quickly use my manual downshift one time because hte car wouldnt do it itself when I braked from 80 to 40 mph. Personally, its a bad flaw in the downshifting system.
My other car, the Audi A8L also has an S mode (power mode) and has no problem adapting to the way I drive, and thats smart.
Old 04-24-07, 11:32 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Ahh, so treat it like turbo boost sorta right? Dont keep it on all the time.. just put it on for situations like you said huh.