GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

20's or 22's????

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 10:28 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
the first two pics make the car look like an off-road vehicle..... the wheels look to large,.... maybe a 21" wheel would look better, but then extremely rare and $$$.

Following ghetto trends is never wise... cuz in Houston 24's is the new 20's, not 22's.... that's like 3 yrs ago according to hood standard... a lot of people are donkin' their rides....
I live in Florida nd I have never heard the term "donkin".What the hell are you talking about?? A "donk" is a 71-76 chevy caprice or impala..Where does a lexus fit into this category??
Old 05-09-07, 03:16 PM
jabbar2002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank u johne78 a lexus is not a donk. and 22's are the new 20's. almost every mid size car can fir 22's stock with lil or no mods. 745, maxima, Q45,. if u notice that most 2nd gen GS came with 16' and everyone ran out and put 20's on them. thats a 4+ upsize. now 3rd GS350 comes with 18' stock and if u put 22's on them. i think if i do my math correct that 4+ upsize. so why would lexus upsize there rims from 2nd gen to 3rd gen. maybe the wheel market has changed. and people who still like 20's on a 3rd gen is stuck in the year 2000. and please lets not say 22's make the cars look ghetto bc i see alot of older rich white and black people following the trend.
Attached Thumbnails 20's or 22's????-lex1.jpg  
Old 05-09-07, 04:12 PM
APPRLKING
Rookie

I agree. 22's on the current body style look great but ONLY if you lower the vehicle. The white Lexus kicks *** and the silver one's isn't bad but it really NEEDS to be lowered.
Old 05-09-07, 04:56 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Lookin @ the pics confirms it 4 me. 20's are the way 2 go. 22's just don't look right.
Old 05-09-07, 05:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they look just a little too big. The deal is that little bit is just enough to look clownish...........imo.

Sorry, that's too strong, don't want to offend anyone. To me, 22's are too big for the GS. Someone should try 21 so we can see what those look like.
Old 05-09-07, 08:11 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Haven't had a single person see my car in person or via net and say my rims / with drop was too small....

Never had my car valeted anywhere other than in the front, with cars 4 times the cost because of the "class" factor of the modifications.

I am not against 22's.... I am against poor choices only considering one aspect of the decision... ie... 22's are bigger, therefore, must be better...

I liked the look of the white GS with 22's, only because it was dropped, and on airbags,... you can't drive like that, which is more important to me, then how it looks parked.

I think 21's would be optimum... but then again, probably highly cost unefficient, and very limited selection. Just my opinion.

The term donkin'... in HOUSTON applies to anything sittin' grossly high due to oversized wheels on the vehicle.... and it's more than just old cars... saw a new cadillac on what appeared to be 26's and an new impala done the same. The point I was gettin' at is... .A) the irregular fender gap due to the bigger wheel not sitting in there "tight" looks funny to me more than anything, and B) the car sittin' high looks off road like....

I have a customer who has a 06 GS300 with 22's, and he was braggin' on how big his are... when I put mine next to his, and my bumper was lower to ground, no wheel well gap, and asked 4 different chicks who's GS they'd want to ride in... 4 for me,... ZERO for him... they said mine just looked better... diffrerent.... and his homies felt the same. He even noticed the difference when the two were side by side... but ... for him.. .wheels already on, and will stay on... I'll actually go take a pic of both and post later this week... how about that.

Do what ya want.... just know that there will never be big enough,... and taste, class, and style are not indicitive to size....
Old 05-09-07, 09:17 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do what ya want.... just know that there will never be big enough,... and taste, class, and style are not indicitive to size....
I would never imagine sedans with 22's. dont forget, increase the wheel diameter and it will affect your braking as well (unless u gots bbk). keep it in moderation as tasteful. again, though, to each their own.
Old 05-09-07, 09:27 PM
APPRLKING
Rookie

Haven't had a single person see my car in person or via net and say my rims / with drop was too small....

Never had my car valeted anywhere other than in the front, with cars 4 times the cost because of the "class" factor of the modifications.

I am not against 22's.... I am against poor choices only considering one aspect of the decision... ie... 22's are bigger, therefore, must be better...

I liked the look of the white GS with 22's, only because it was dropped, and on airbags,... you can't drive like that, which is more important to me, then how it looks parked.

I think 21's would be optimum... but then again, probably highly cost unefficient, and very limited selection. Just my opinion.

The term donkin'... in HOUSTON applies to anything sittin' grossly high due to oversized wheels on the vehicle.... and it's more than just old cars... saw a new cadillac on what appeared to be 26's and an new impala done the same. The point I was gettin' at is... .A) the irregular fender gap due to the bigger wheel not sitting in there "tight" looks funny to me more than anything, and B) the car sittin' high looks off road like....

I have a customer who has a 06 GS300 with 22's, and he was braggin' on how big his are... when I put mine next to his, and my bumper was lower to ground, no wheel well gap, and asked 4 different chicks who's GS they'd want to ride in... 4 for me,... ZERO for him... they said mine just looked better... diffrerent.... and his homies felt the same. He even noticed the difference when the two were side by side... but ... for him.. .wheels already on, and will stay on... I'll actually go take a pic of both and post later this week... how about that.

I agree.....taste, class and style are not indicative to size. I've seen some Lexus' on this forum with 20's that look awesome, and others that look like crap. At the same time i've seen some on 22's that are wack and other that are sick. So far the best new body Lexus GS' out there seem to be the white one from Status and the white one on 22's....both very classy and in proportion.

Although I'd have to correct you on the one on 22's. I actually ran into the owner lastnight and asked him about his GS and it's sitting on Tanabe springs - no air bags.

There's another pic of his car actually rolling (before the black top) see below.
Old 05-09-07, 11:37 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

well, having shown that pic... I'd say if you do it... do it all the way, and do it right... slam it to the ground and pick a universaly accepted as classy non-ghetto bling style wheel, and yo @#$%! will be tight... and be sure you get the right size tires,... not the economy size pkg deal tires... if I got 30 series / 25 series on my 20's... you already know what it's gonna be for that extra 2 inches....

Most of the folks in houston half *** do it... get big rims... and stop there... no drop, and hence why the aprehension to just doing big...

I don't like the wheel style on the silver one... plus the height of the car....
Old 05-10-07, 03:58 AM
bmay71
Rookie

Default 20's or 22's dilemma

Does anyone on this forum know of anyone who has done 22's on a GS350 and didn't do any mods? If so, can you provide me with the specs of the wheel and tire sizes? I am also indecisive about going with a 20 or a 22 inch wheel. I have a very nice wheel that is 22x8.5 with a 38mm offset and I am thinking it will work with the correct tire size. Although, I am not opposed to going with a 20x8.5 with an 1.3" drop. But, I really want to know from someone who has done this setup and if they would recommend this or not. I am picking my GS 350 up on Monday so please provide some info. as soon as possible.

Thanks
Old 05-10-07, 05:06 AM
Nash
Pole Position

What kind of roof spoiler is on that white one with 22's?
Old 05-10-07, 11:02 AM
APPRLKING
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nash
What kind of roof spoiler is on that white one with 22's?
The owner of the car said that complete kit was from VIP Edition. www.vipedition.com. They have some pics up there too.
Old 05-10-07, 11:05 AM
phattbam
Lead Lap

nice... thanks for the info
Old 05-10-07, 12:16 PM
APPRLKING
Rookie

Originally Posted by phattbam
nice... thanks for the info
No problem. I want to put 22's on my ride but now I'm not sure. It only looks good when it's lowered and the guy who owns the car is suppose to give me a list of mods necessary to get the wheels to fit with no rubbing, but from what he told me yesterday it seems like a lot of work. Me and my homies have seen that car everywhere so I know he drives it and it's not some trailer queen show car so i'm sure his mods work.

Then again, I've seen him in a bad *** Porsche too. I'll see if i can snap pics of that car as well and post back up if he let's me.
Old 05-10-07, 02:03 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by APPRLKING
I agree.....taste, class and style are not indicative to size. I've seen some Lexus' on this forum with 20's that look awesome, and others that look like crap. At the same time i've seen some on 22's that are wack and other that are sick. So far the best new body Lexus GS' out there seem to be the white one from Status and the white one on 22's....both very classy and in proportion.

Although I'd have to correct you on the one on 22's. I actually ran into the owner lastnight and asked him about his GS and it's sitting on Tanabe springs - no air bags.
I think you summed it up perfectly. There is no ONE right and wrong way, its a combination of things. I notice alot of people saying "I dont want kits and lowering and stuff anymore, so I'ma just do 22's". Well thats the thing, the white car looks good BECAUSE of the kit and lowering, which give the vehicle a more unified appearance. If you took the same car wth the same wheels and set it at stock height with stock bumpers it would get the same response as other stock GS's on 22's.

Same goes for 20's you can put a set of "corner store 20s" in weak sizes non staggered with a bad design on a 3GS and they will look just as bad.

As NAZTY touched on, its a COMBINATION of things, not just 1 component. As he said the wheel style and lowering really bring the car out. I get people with 7series that tell me they want the same look as my car, but they just want wheels (when I have wheels, coilovers, kit, custom exhaust). I always wonder how the same overall effect is expected while only doing 25% of the work?

Same applies for that white GS, it can not be regarded as the resounding proof that 22's on a 3GS is a-ok when the prevailing number of 3GS's with 22" wheel are not modded anywhere near the fashion of that vehicle.

That white car serves as an excellent example of "it CAN be done, but it must be done FULLY" If all GS's with 22's looked (and rolled) like that, this thread would be probably be 3 posts long, instead of 5 pages. lol

I'm not personally going to insult anyones car, we all have opinions and obviously they spent the money so their happy, no need for me to try to convince them what they need to change, or why its wrong yadda yadda. I have my own opinion of ANY car with 22's and NOTHING else done to it, but thats for another time.

Quick Reply: 20's or 22's????