GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

20's or 22's????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 02:09 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
well, having shown that pic... I'd say if you do it... do it all the way, and do it right... slam it to the ground and pick a universaly accepted as classy non-ghetto bling style wheel, and yo @#$%! will be tight... and be sure you get the right size tires,... not the economy size pkg deal tires...
LOL Economy size tires LOL.
Old 05-10-07, 02:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some cars seem to look great with 22's...the 745, rolls royce and bentley. Then there are some that can get away with it but would look better with 21's....s-class, cl and LS460. After seeing 2 3GS cars with 22's, I just don't think it looks that great with 22's. I would love to see one with a kit but I don't like many of the kits for the car. Let me take that back. The kits are nice but the GS doesn't need kits imo.
Bottom line, to each his own.
Old 05-10-07, 03:02 PM
APPRLKING
Rookie

"corner store 20s"

Ahhhhh ha ha ha. I don't know why I found that so damn funny but that was a good one! I've never heard that term used before but I know exactly what you're talking about D2.

As for 22's only on Bimmers I'd have to disagree because I've seen Bimmers on 24's that look kick *** and if you run with a Phantom 22's look good, but not great.

Again....it's the complete package that counts and not specific sizes for specific cars. Kits/ lowering and staying away from "corner store 20's" make a huge difference. LOL.

Corner Store....ahhhh ha ha ha
Old 05-10-07, 04:03 PM
LexFather

My 2 cents. We simply now live in a car world where so many people are attracted to bigger is better. Its not just the diameter of the wheels.
What I've seen happen in 5 years.
20"-28"
lips from 2.5" to 5" or bigger
tire widths from 275 to people trying to fit 305 on a GS (and wider on all sorts of cars)
etc etc.
I do feel the 3GS, when done right, can get away with 22s. THere is no performance or any advantage to having 22's besides saying "hey mine is bigger than yours" As a matter of fact since the car comes with 18s, going to 22s is a +4, so you might end up damaging something.

I do feel the 3GS dropped with 20s, is just about as perfect as you can get. To me some 20s on the 2GS look too big. 21s on the GS is a +3, so it might actually be the right size if you want to go big.

Another thing is cars in the same class are getting bigger and bigger and they do need bigger wheels to look better.

Case in point, Camrys, Altimas, Maximas, Accords, TLs, G35s, etc etc are all as big if not BIGGER in dimensions than the 2 and 3GS, even though they are cheaper cars in a lesser class.

I am no longer against people who want to slap giant wheels on their rides. Its their thing and I totally understand for show cars, being I am involved in that scene. It does attract people to the car and that is what sponsors want.

However, IMO, there is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING, like to talk or hear people talk about your car because it was done RIGHT and it speaks volumes about you. Class, taste, with execution. I would not trade that for any size.

(sigh, I have itty bitty 18s on my 2GS but I keep them clean though)!!!
Old 05-10-07, 04:35 PM
jabbar2002
Rookie

i just have one ? to ask. who said that lowered looks better. who made that the law or the bible. i see that people are loosing there indivualality when it comes to cars. bc everybody who has a 3rd gen has 20s and lowered that makes it the law. what happen to being different or do u just want your car to look like the next 3rd Gs that pulls up tho the light. i dont know where yall are from but where im from we dont lower luxury cars. we might lower a civic or accord. point im getn at is that i dont want a low rider, i havent want one since 92' but anyway serious yall are saying classy, do u think if i want my car lowered i couldnt do it. be foreal
Old 05-10-07, 05:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jabbar2002
i just have one ? to ask. who said that lowered looks better. who made that the law or the bible. i see that people are loosing there indivualality when it comes to cars. bc everybody who has a 3rd gen has 20s and lowered that makes it the law. what happen to being different or do u just want your car to look like the next 3rd Gs that pulls up tho the light. i dont know where yall are from but where im from we dont lower luxury cars. we might lower a civic or accord. point im getn at is that i dont want a low rider, i havent want one since 92' but anyway serious yall are saying classy, do u think if i want my car lowered i couldnt do it. be foreal
OK, I'll bite.
No, there's no law that lowered cars look better but in my opinion, they do. I put black face 19's on my 3 GS with fatter tires. I had no intentions of lowering the car. I heard about the NF210's and bought a set but wasn't really planning to install them. They were sitting around collecting dust. Then I took the GS to a meet. Sitting next to all the lowered cars, it stuck out like a 4x4. I put the springs on the next day. The car took on a whole different look and it actually gained a personality. All 3 of my cars are lowered and they look better that way. I'm planning to lower the G35 more....after I change the wheels. I love the way the new bimmers come lowered stock. Just about all cars come lower than they were some 5 years ago. For something to have taken hold that strongly, we can'y be that wrong about it. Cars definitely look better with less space between the edge of the tire and the fender.
Old 05-10-07, 05:48 PM
jabbar2002
Rookie

u are right cars do look better with less space between the wheel. thats my point too. 22' fill up the the whole wheel well. no space left to even think about. but why lower a car. if u put 20's on then lower the car to fill the wheel wheel. i have 22's and i dont have to lower my car to fill that space bc there is none. and reggiek u just said that u went to the track and all the other cars were lowered. u proved what i just said i dont want to look like ever car. i want to stand out like a 4x4. and fars as going to a track i dont care bout performance and racing.
Old 05-10-07, 07:07 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

u are right cars do look better with less space between the wheel. thats my point too. 22' fill up the the whole wheel well. no space left to even think about. but why lower a car. if u put 20's on then lower the car to fill the wheel wheel. i have 22's and i dont have to lower my car to fill that space bc there is none.i want to stand out like a 4x4.
Its very simple, your taste is different from most people that frequent this forum. Does that make them right and you wrong? NO Does it make you right and them wrong? NO. Just different. I always sum up lowering like this, if you are asking the question "why did you lower the car", as it sits there with wheels 3 or 4inches larger than stock, then the point is probably lost on you. (not you specifically, I mean "you" as in anyone that asks that question). Big wheels do fill a wheelwell, and thats great, the issue is all the space they leave UNDER the car, this is where lowering is key.

This post that you made sums it up perfectly, most people here make fun of people with 4x4 cars, you probably laugh at people with lowered cars, so this debate is a moot point.

As far as who made lowering gospel and all, forget about this internet forum, take a cue from automotive modding history. Since the 40's its been a known fact that a lower stance accentuates the lines of a car and lends a more aggressive demeanor. If you think suspension lowering is something, look at all the classic 40's and 50's hotrods with lowered roofs, or the body "channeled" (placed lower on the frame, for old cars with body on frame construction). Also take a cue from any automotive manufacturers, have you ever noted that all concept cars have large diameter wheels and little to no fender gap? Its because the manufacturers want the concept platform to be more impactful, more aggressive and eye catching.

To further my point, have you ever taken note of any purpose built "sport" derivation of a model line? The first thing they do is add a lower suspension (think anything from Porsche GT3 to BMW 5series). Its more than aesthetic benefit.

I fully understand your viewpoint, and althought I do not share one iota of it, I respect it, thus I make no sweeping generalizations and such. I hope this somewhat helps you understand historical automotive modding culture period, and NOT just ClubLexus users.
Old 05-10-07, 11:52 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

thats my point too. 22' fill up the the whole wheel well. no space left to even think about. but why lower a car. if u put 20's on then lower the car to fill the wheel wheel. i have 22's and i dont have to lower my car to fill that space bc there is none.
the silver car still has wheel well gap... and so did the guy who had the black one.... maybe not a huge gap... but looks a little out of round since the center of the wheel has moved out of the center of the wheel well....

I like the white Status GS... but as D2 said... because of everything done....

I crush other GS's all day, have only seen 2 here outside of mine I'd drive... one burgandy one with nice wheels and drop, and a black one,.. same treatment.

I like more menacing, aggressive, and unique looking cars. EVERYBODY has big wheels in houston... not everyone has mastered class here.... hell, i see black spoke / chrome lip rims on EVERY color of car... .even colors that have nothing to do with black... most people just follow trends blindly...

we should do a thread with pics, dropped and non-dropped with rims.... and then take a vote....
Old 05-11-07, 05:36 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

u are right cars do look better with less space between the wheel. thats my point too. 22' fill up the the whole wheel well. no space left to even think about. but why lower a car. if u put 20's on then lower the car to fill the wheel wheel. i have 22's and i dont have to lower my car to fill that space bc there is none. and reggiek u just said that u went to the track and all the other cars were lowered. u proved what i just said i dont want to look like ever car. i want to stand out like a 4x4. and fars as going to a track i dont care bout performance and racing.
Derrick hit it right on the head. Bottom line is screw what anyone else thinks. Do your thing man!
Old 05-11-07, 05:53 AM
LexFather

I see your in GA, I'm in Atlanta. Have you checked out your local Lexus club www.seloc.net ?

As far as I'm concerned, its as close to "law" or the "bible" as you can get. Its provides a finished look, lowering your car. Big wheels do fill out the wheel wells but lowered, provides the finishing touch. It doesn't have to be dragging on the ground. The wheel and wheel well gap should be maybe as tight as barely fitting your hand between the two.

This is not a new trend, but something that has happened for decades now. Companies offer coilovers, so you can adjust the car to the height you want.

You can clearly do whatever you want with your car, I'm just trying to explain a little.
Old 05-11-07, 05:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Its very simple, your taste is different from most people that frequent this forum. Does that make them right and you wrong? NO Does it make you right and them wrong? NO. Just different. I always sum up lowering like this, if you are asking the question "why did you lower the car", as it sits there with wheels 3 or 4inches larger than stock, then the point is probably lost on you. (not you specifically, I mean "you" as in anyone that asks that question). Big wheels do fill a wheelwell, and thats great, the issue is all the space they leave UNDER the car, this is where lowering is key.

This post that you made sums it up perfectly, most people here make fun of people with 4x4 cars, you probably laugh at people with lowered cars, so this debate is a moot point.

As far as who made lowering gospel and all, forget about this internet forum, take a cue from automotive modding history. Since the 40's its been a known fact that a lower stance accentuates the lines of a car and lends a more aggressive demeanor. If you think suspension lowering is something, look at all the classic 40's and 50's hotrods with lowered roofs, or the body "channeled" (placed lower on the frame, for old cars with body on frame construction). Also take a cue from any automotive manufacturers, have you ever noted that all concept cars have large diameter wheels and little to no fender gap? Its because the manufacturers want the concept platform to be more impactful, more aggressive and eye catching.

To further my point, have you ever taken note of any purpose built "sport" derivation of a model line? The first thing they do is add a lower suspension (think anything from Porsche GT3 to BMW 5series). Its more than aesthetic benefit.

I fully understand your viewpoint, and althought I do not share one iota of it, I respect it, thus I make no sweeping generalizations and such. I hope this somewhat helps you understand historical automotive modding culture period, and NOT just ClubLexus users.
Great post!
Old 05-11-07, 07:39 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Amen Rev D2 and Deacon Sicklex.... preach the word of modification in moderation,... not excessive overdo!!!

Old 05-11-07, 03:23 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, this is some o/t...
Old 05-27-07, 01:16 AM
APPRLKING
Rookie

The grey GS had some nice wheels and the red one was ghettro-fied with those TIS WHeels. Also both were way too high!

Quick Reply: 20's or 22's????