GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire noise on 2007 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 05:42 PM
ADS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire noise on 2007 GS350

I have about 500 miles on my new 2007 GS350 RWD equipped with Michelin's and I can not believe the tire noise inside the cabin. I have owned a few luxury cars over the years and never experienced this before. Lexus is supposed to be a luxury brand. I just can't believe the R&D by Toyota has fallen so short, the test guy must of been death. Sorry I 'm ranting Lexus lovers but this is the first time I've been disappointed with a new car. I put a call into Lexus USA and they said they would with in reason address the problem. If they do resolve the tire noise issue they may win me back because everything else about the car is great.
Old 05-08-07, 08:47 PM
lexus4dfw
Rookie

Join the club. My Yokohamas were loud from day one.
Old 05-08-07, 08:52 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got Bridgestone on my new 07' 450h and they are extremely quiet.
Old 05-09-07, 12:31 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

My Yokos were initially quiet but got louder as time went on. It's interesting to hear about the PS2s though because I have them on my 997S and they are pretty quiet compared to my Advans. You might want to reconsider swapping them out because they are great tires and if I had to guess, they are quieter than what's out there.
Old 05-09-07, 05:23 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ADS
I have about 500 miles on my new 2007 GS350 RWD equipped with Michelin's and I can not believe the tire noise inside the cabin. I have owned a few luxury cars over the years and never experienced this before. Lexus is supposed to be a luxury brand. I just can't believe the R&D by Toyota has fallen so short, the test guy must of been death. Sorry I 'm ranting Lexus lovers but this is the first time I've been disappointed with a new car. I put a call into Lexus USA and they said they would with in reason address the problem. If they do resolve the tire noise issue they may win me back because everything else about the car is great.
You may want to verify that all of the underside plugs are installed or are properly installed. If even one is missing you WILL hear far more road noise inside the car, especially rubber of tire on pavement noise.

There are likely 5 of them on the underside of the GS, black in color about 1 1/2 inch in diameter both round ones and oblong shaped ones and they plug holes in the underside of the car.

Two are right where front wheel well meets underside body and about a foot in from edge of car, one each middle of each door about a foot in from edge, these are slightly larger diameter than wheel well ones, and the last one is just in front of rear wheel well on underside. If any are missing have dealer place them, if they are pushed up inside the holes, remove them and replace them properly so they are placed correctly.

Lastly look to be sure they included your noise abatement coating on underside metal from front wheel area all the way back to rear wheel wheel area, they forgot that on my first ES. It looks like black goop sprayed on the metal and may actually be marginally covered with matching paint to your car exterior paint color. Roughly a good foot plus wide and 4 or 5 feet long to cover distance between front and rear wheels of otherwise bare metal without it.
The following users liked this post:
Smw (01-04-22)
Old 05-09-07, 11:22 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think we have plugs Bob, the underside is covered with plastic panels so it's smooth which is different from the ES350 which lacks the panel.
Old 05-09-07, 02:29 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I don't think we have plugs Bob, the underside is covered with plastic panels so it's smooth which is different from the ES350 which lacks the panel.
I know we have plugs, because the dealership left 2 oblong ones in the glovebox. I had them installed by my dealer here at my 5,000 mile.
Old 05-09-07, 04:03 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to take a look but the GS is very different from the ES. My ES has bare metal with undercoating on it and my GS has black plastic panels that covers everything. Not sure if it's an aerodynamic thing or just a "next model" up kind of thing.
Old 05-09-07, 04:14 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I'll have to take a look but the GS is very different from the ES. My ES has bare metal with undercoating on it and my GS has black plastic panels that covers everything. Not sure if it's an aerodynamic thing or just a "next model" up kind of thing.
Maybe a Coach class Vs. Business class thing
Old 05-16-07, 08:12 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Lexus = Ultimate Customer Service

After I put about 5000 miles on my factory Yokohama A10B, it also started to make lots of road noise and pulling. Second time after I complained to my service advisor, he went ahead talked to Lexus and his service manager trying to solve the issue. He called me back the very next day, letting me know that they have ordered a new set of Michelins PS2 as replacement.

Ultimate customer service to Sewell Lexus in Dallas, Texas.
Old 05-16-07, 08:16 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I know we have plugs, because the dealership left 2 oblong ones in the glovebox. I had them installed by my dealer here at my 5,000 mile.
I had theses too in the glove box, where are they going ?
Old 05-17-07, 07:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timeToy
I had theses too in the glove box, where are they going ?
They are supposed to be installed by the dealer prior to delivering you the car and placed on the underside of the car, likely 2 oblong holes right behind the front wheel well where it arcs downward/meets the underside of the car.

I know from experience if not placed you will hear more tire on road noise and outside noise intrusion in the car than if they had been installed.
The following users liked this post:
Smw (01-04-22)
Old 05-17-07, 10:33 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't know death could drive.
Old 05-17-07, 02:25 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put on Continentals all season for my optional 18 inch GS wheels, and they still make quite some noise. THis car is noisy compared to other Lexus loaners I had during servicing intervals. I had bridgestones before, and they were a bit quieter on those 17 inch wheels, but the car is still not quiet like a Lexus.
Old 07-03-07, 06:09 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread. My Advans are somewhat loud also. What is the most quiet tire in everyone's opinion???

Quick Reply: Tire noise on 2007 GS350