GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

15,000 Mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 05:53 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 15,000 Mile Service

My wife took our 2006 GS300 in for the 15,000 mile service.The bill with tax was $305.00.Do prices vary from state ot state?.....just curious.
Old 05-10-07, 05:57 PM
L3E5X0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dealer said 15K miles service should run ~$250
Old 05-10-07, 06:34 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Thats a mighty expensive oil change! - Even if you throw in a $20 Air Filter!
Old 05-10-07, 06:42 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

LOL,you got that right cut throat! I just hope they did everything they said they did. The next time it goes inmthe only thing I let them do is the oil change and a tire rotation.

By the way,do you know what "Lexus" does for a service which they call "cleaning the fuel system"? They add a fuel cleaner additive to your tank
Old 05-10-07, 07:37 PM
L3E5X0
Driver School Candidate

lol at fuel cleaner
Old 05-10-07, 07:52 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

It's funny until it happens to you L3E5X0.... I spoke to the guy on my cell because my wife was not sure if she should do it or not. I asked him what they do at he 15,000 mile service and he replied,"we clean the fuel system".I asked "how do you do that"? He replied "we add a can of additive".Since the car was in the bay already,I said to go ahead with it. Last time for that,I think I am going to start doing the oil changes myself too. I dread the day the car needs brakes!!! How much can that be????
Old 05-11-07, 12:26 PM
sailing217
Pole Position

My quote for the 30k service is $284 or $718. The 718 is changing the tranny, AC and all coolant, and some other fluid on top of the 30k service. Funny thing is the car is 10 months old. I drive alot, but fluids shouldn't break down in 10 months of highway driving. I think I'm going to change it to and Oil Change and an 40 point inspection. I can change the Air Filter myself for $20, the AC Filter shouldn't be too hard and doesn't really need it anyway. They are doing the TSB for excessive brake dust, so that means new pads and maybe new brake fluid under warranty. Only thing I'm missing is my gas cap vacuum test--which is a load of crap. If it wasn't good, it would throw a check engine error....
Old 05-11-07, 12:53 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sailing217
My quote for the 30k service is $284 or $718. The 718 is changing the tranny, AC and all coolant, and some other fluid on top of the 30k service. Funny thing is the car is 10 months old. I drive alot, but fluids shouldn't break down in 10 months of highway driving. I think I'm going to change it to and Oil Change and an 40 point inspection. I can change the Air Filter myself for $20, the AC Filter shouldn't be too hard and doesn't really need it anyway. They are doing the TSB for excessive brake dust, so that means new pads and maybe new brake fluid under warranty. Only thing I'm missing is my gas cap vacuum test--which is a load of crap. If it wasn't good, it would throw a check engine error....
Where can you buy a Lexus air filter for a GS for $20? Or, are you using an aftermarket product?
Old 05-12-07, 07:20 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Lexus dealers like to have their own service schedules. Go in there with the manual and ask them to do what the manual says - not what they think is right. Don't let them bully you into doing more - cause you don't need it.

Note, I'll bet the manual says nothing about fuel cleaner..... and I'll bet they changed the trans fluid - even though the manual probably does not call for it till 30K.....

Remember- manual in hand - and ask them to show you where LEXUS calls for it. And if they say that they know better than Lexus, then just give them the "are you kidding me?" look.
Old 05-13-07, 03:10 PM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is some EXPENSIVE oil change. i have a 06 3GS & i had serviced my car both in CA and in AZ, and both dealers charged only $130 and $135 for routine oil change respectively. That was for my 15000 miles & 20000 miles service.
You should really check the work order they gave you and see what did they do to your car as it details all the charges that the dearlership charges for your oil change. Good luck!!
Old 05-13-07, 05:47 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mj0723
That is some EXPENSIVE oil change. i have a 06 3GS & i had serviced my car both in CA and in AZ, and both dealers charged only $130 and $135 for routine oil change respectively.
ONLY??? Are most Lexus drivers this out of touch with reality? I'm sorry, but it really pisses me off when someone agrees to pay Lexus dealers three times more than the most expensive oil changes SHOULD cost! This makes it very hard for me to tell them that they are insane.

I never have nor will I ever pay more than $40 for an oil change. I refuse to be raped by dealers just because they wear a fancy name. Oil is oil, and Lexus oil filter is no more expensive than the Acura one! We have Pohanka Lexus and Acura basically sharing the same lot. The latter charges $37 for oil change while the former charges $140 for the same service. What the F$#K is wrong with the people who are willing to pay that??? Has money completely lost its value to them?
Old 05-14-07, 06:41 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I know from my experience, the dealers tell me that if I do any work on the car myself or have someone other than the dealer do it, if even the smallest thing goes wrong, it won't be covered under warranty and they won't fix it. They get this weird look on their faces and they do their best to intimidate you (me).
Old 05-14-07, 08:47 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
I know from my experience, the dealers tell me that if I do any work on the car myself or have someone other than the dealer do it, if even the smallest thing goes wrong, it won't be covered under warranty and they won't fix it. They get this weird look on their faces and they do their best to intimidate you (me).
It's too bad there are so many pushovers who believe that. I mean there's this very quiet Chinese woman at my office who pays $140 for her Pohanka Lexus oil changes; I can see how she could be intimidated into doing it by pushy service people. But a young to middle age male agreeing to be raped like that? That's beyond my comprehension.
Old 05-14-07, 11:17 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Modeler
It's too bad there are so many pushovers who believe that. I mean there's this very quiet Chinese woman at my office who pays $140 for her Pohanka Lexus oil changes; I can see how she could be intimidated into doing it by pushy service people. But a young to middle age male agreeing to be raped like that? That's beyond my comprehension.
I'm not a young to middle-aged male. I regret my s/n on here, but they won't allow me to change it. I had my pads replaced on a prior Lexus someplace other than the dealer and I forget what, but something went wrong. The dealer fixed them - they just gave me a "warning" that they won't normally do that. I have never, to the very best of my conscious memory, ever been raped.
Old 05-17-07, 02:33 PM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
ONLY??? Are most Lexus drivers this out of touch with reality? I'm sorry, but it really pisses me off when someone agrees to pay Lexus dealers three times more than the most expensive oil changes SHOULD cost! This makes it very hard for me to tell them that they are insane.

I never have nor will I ever pay more than $40 for an oil change. I refuse to be raped by dealers just because they wear a fancy name. Oil is oil, and Lexus oil filter is no more expensive than the Acura one! We have Pohanka Lexus and Acura basically sharing the same lot. The latter charges $37 for oil change while the former charges $140 for the same service. What the F$#K is wrong with the people who are willing to pay that??? Has money completely lost its value to them?

Well, I'm only doing a comparison of the price that I got and the price he paid for the exact same service. It has absolutely nothing to do with if we're in touch with the reality and/or if we're insane. If you believe that an oil change is only worth $40, and you'll never pay for more than $40 to get an oil change for your car, that's perfectly fine, it's your perception of value on an oil change. However, we all have different values, and I believe $130 for an oil change for a car like the GS is perfectly fine and I really don't know why you're so pissed about it. IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY!!!!

Besides, if a person can afford to spend $50K on a car, what makes you believe they will find the cheapest oil change location possible for their oil change needs? I'm not saying we should all waste our hard-earned cash on depreciating goods and over-priced services, but it's the perception of value that makes everyone so different and unique. For me, spending $130 on an oil change for my GS is perfectly reasonable, and besides, I like the way I'm being treated whenever I have my car serviced at the dealership. I guess that's what the F$#K is wrong with me because I'm one of the people who are willing to pay $130 for an oil change for my Lexus. Why? Because I know I'm worth it to drive a beautiful automobile such as the GS, and I can deal with all the expense that comes with owning such a refined car. Most importantly, I work hard for my money and I can afford to spend however I want to!!

Last edited by mj0723; 05-17-07 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 15,000 Mile Service