GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Not so Impressed with the GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 11:16 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of Houston200's points is somethng others have pointed out--the lack of an aux input jack for his iPod. To that I would say an aux jack is obviously better than none, plug and play, but it's nowhere near as nice as having fuller integration with onscreen playlist/title info. The Vaistech SLI adapter many of us have added improves the quality of the iPod integration to a level rarely, if ever, supported at the OEM level. And it offers not just an input for iPod, but AUX as well if so desired.

To me, this raises the attractiveness of the ML system since it is so easily transformed. Other head units with an aux jack cannot so easily be upgraded to have an iTunes display, or to control the iPod automatically.

Main issue = moot.
Old 05-14-07, 12:50 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chocaholic
I didn't consider "winning us over" as a criteria for a new board member to feel welcomed here. Like e-mail, the written word is not always an accurate representation of his/her real intentions.

None-the-less, it seems to me we should not expect to be won-over in any regard. To the contrary, I think it's more important to make new members feel welcomed, regardless of how they express themselves.

I agree 100% with a "but"...

This is "CLUB" Lexus. To me that means a group of people with like interests that enjoy discusssing similar topics, in our case it is Lexus Cars and in my case, it is the GS. There is a first impression that is made on both sides with regards to new members and typically that impression will dictate the users experience here.

Im guilty myself of sometimes being too blunt to a fault as well but for some reason this post got me fired up. Hopefully there is a rational reason behind the tone of the post (english as a second language, etc.), but for a long time lexus ES owner whos first post is bashing the GS I have trouble believing the true intentions were for feedback.

I still dont know why it was posted other than to fire people up...
Old 05-14-07, 02:47 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure there is a big overlap in the demographics of ES vs GS perspective buyers. The OP owns a previous generation ES and values the trunk space and backseat space that come with the ES. Those are not what I would consider as one of the top desired features when considering the GS. Personally, performance and handling lead me to the GS over the ES. I also liked the GS looks better than the ES. Sounds like the OP really wants a ES350.

As for AUX input, isn't that what the nice cassette deck is for? Dealers just need to include the cassette adapter!
Old 05-14-07, 04:02 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
As for AUX input, isn't that what the nice cassette deck is for? Dealers just need to include the cassette adapter!
The sticker on my car was just under $51k. Now, did you really write that with a straight face???
Old 05-14-07, 04:14 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sticker on my car was just under $51k. Now, did you really write that with a straight face???
Just in case you didn't notice the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticons
Old 05-14-07, 04:23 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

As an observation about the ES/GS. I just came from two 07 ES350 UL’s over a 8 months period and both of them had the trans issue, so I would say it’s a carp shoot on the ES. That why I’m here now with the GS350 it was the best alterative at this time. I love my GS and plan to keep it 7-10 years and yes the items listed are there, so that's a personal preference thing. As a word of caution re-think the ES till next year, buybacks are no fun.
Old 05-14-07, 04:37 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
Not to go to far off topic but that’s a great idea to my problem do they still sell those thing – I’m serious.
Old 05-14-07, 05:17 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osokuko
As an observation about the ES/GS. I just came from two 07 ES350 UL’s over a 8 months period and both of them had the trans issue, so I would say it’s a carp shoot on the ES. That why I’m here now with the GS350 it was the best alterative at this time. I love my GS and plan to keep it 7-10 years and yes the items listed are there, so that's a personal preference thing. As a word of caution re-think the ES till next year, buybacks are no fun.
I second that on all the points above!!! 2 failed ES350 trannies (I had those in my one car) and a buyback are no fun at all. Getting '07 ES350 is like playing a Russian roulette. Except it will take you a few month while driving and listening through you AUX input until you realize about shooting yourself in a foot with a faulty tranny.

BTW, AUX input is just an audio input and nothing else. You will not be able to control your iPod or any other mp3 player. What would be cool is to have CF/SD card input like they have it in G35.
Old 05-14-07, 05:21 PM
LexFather

I think he brings up good points. The GS is selling okay. Some of us have speculated that the larger ES, sportier IS have actually hurt GS sales in-house.

I still prefer the GS.
Old 05-14-07, 07:52 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bottom line GS and ES are totally different cars. If your priority is cushy ride and space efficiency then the FWD ES is the choice. If you value sportiness that a RWD can offer, then GS is the one. To me, having all the latest and greatest luxury items are not my top priority. Besides, the GS chasis is much sportier and more solid. The GS and ES appeal to different demographic, that's why they both exist in the Lexus lineup.

Lexus is smart, unlike MB, BMW, or Audi, they know that in U.S. there is a market for pure luxury moderately priced sedan. Therefore, they sell the ES. The GS is designed to directly compete with the German luxury sport sedans. Comparing GS with ES is like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 05-14-07, 09:55 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*shrug* sometimes i wonder why i bought the GS....at first it's great, then slowly little stuff start to **** me off...

clearly the current one is not of the better ones lexus has designed...
Old 05-14-07, 10:33 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

jracer, what are the little stuff?
Old 05-14-07, 10:35 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timeToy
(and you will have some money left for 124 years of large coke at McDo)...

lololololo
Old 05-14-07, 11:37 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't consider "winning us over" as a criteria for a new board member to feel welcomed here. Like e-mail, the written word is not always an accurate representation of his/her real intentions.

None-the-less, it seems to me we should not expect to be won-over in any regard. To the contrary, I think it's more important to make new members feel welcomed, regardless of how they express themselves.
Fair enough. In that case, let me be the first. To Houston200, you smell, you are ugly, you don't have a very pleasant way of representing your real intentions. That said, WELCOME to the board! Glad to have you here!
Old 05-15-07, 03:51 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Much better. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Not so Impressed with the GS