GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

K&N Typhoon Intake / Filter Upgrade for2007+ GS350 - install and first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 07:13 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon Intake / Filter Upgrade for2007+ GS350 - install and first impressions

Well, after waiting what seems like ages for Fujita to release / certify a kit for the 07
GS350, I went ahead and got the new Typhoon intake kit that K&N just released the first week
of May. Price was about $228 w/ free shipping and K&N claims it will give at least 18 more HP.
My kit arrived Friday morning, so I've had about a day and half of driving now with it installed.
Yesterday was around town start/stop, short trip driving. Today was freeway / interstate driving, and oh yeah, passing
When driving in the usual manner (easy acceleration, no sudden throttle blips), the noise is maybe
only 5% louder than what it was pre-intake kit. Very smooth....

Net of It: do this mod if you are ok with hearing your engine sing when you plant your foot into
it! Response off the line is also noticeably better. If you want cocoon-like quiet from your engine,
better think twice about doing this. I love it, esp. with my Tanabe exhaust... this car
really sounds wicked under WOT .... wow..... if I can figure out a way to get someone
to record it from the inside I will.... it's ballsy..... I was kinda impressed this V6 could sound so
good... then I remember this is a very state-of-the-art / technology-laden motor.... so, maybe
not so surprising when you make it breath better.... gotta get this thing on a dyno sometime...
just curious more than anything.... esp. after some really hot freeway runs today.... yeeeeeoowww.

Install: pretty straightforward, although I noted the following:
  • PDF manual from K&N website has images that show fine detail much better than the paper / printed manual they supply in the kit
  • Look at the parts explosion diagram carefully when matching up specific parts for the numbered instruction steps along the way
  • 10mm socket with extensions of 3" and 8" (or more) is a good thing to have; also a 10mm combination wrench; there is one strap that bolts under a valve cover bolt, and once the heat shield is in place and you need to tighten this, a really long extension made the job a snap
  • Having a 5/16" nut driver works great for the metal band clamps
  • Be careful of the presence of too much air filter oil around the inside lip of the conical filter (where it pushes onto the chrome Typhoon intake tube); wipe off with alcohol wipe pad or you won't get a snug fit and filter will pop off the tube very, very easily
  • YMMV, but the whole process took me about 90 minutes as I was very careful and double-checked everything along the way
  • I disconnected the negative battery cable the whole time, so several things needed to be reset on the car when done (seat memory, power window up/down for all 4 windows, XM satellite presets, and seatbelt reminder chime off hack)
  • The center OEM engine cover (silver piece) will go back on over the new intake, but does not snap on in all places.... seems fine though and no rattles from it whatsoever....
Sorry I did not take any in-process install pics, but honestly, I was smoking a nice Partagas SP No.2 at the time and was not thinking about the camera... besides, K&N does a decent job w/ the required pics in their install manual.... covers all the bases....

I really like this mod.... glad I did it.

If any of you guys/gals are even remotely thinking of an intake upgrade and are OK with
hearing your Lexus motor talk to you, then don't waste any more time... get this kit.
Old 05-14-07, 11:31 PM
phattbam
Lead Lap

pics please... possibly a sound clip if you have time.
Old 05-15-07, 08:34 AM
Tlai000
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics please
Old 05-15-07, 04:29 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

You the man Bob...hope to see you sometime around Jax to check out that beast of yours
Old 05-15-07, 04:46 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Pics...
Old 05-15-07, 06:03 PM
SikLex
Driver School Candidate

I've been waiting for a company to put out an intake for a while now. I've been keeping close contact with Luxury Motor Sports (LMS) out in Cali, they did some great work with the IS series. I've been told that they will be releasing a cold air intake sometime next month. Now my dilemma is whether or not to be patient and wait for it or go get the K&N. By the looks of it, it's a great intake too. The website to LMS is http://www.lmspower.com/, just incase anyone wants to check it out.
Old 05-15-07, 08:13 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

OK, ok.... will get some pics taken pronto in the morning... ;-)

Now I have to unsnap all those friggin pushpin clips again... sigh.... this is getting old. I may just velcro all that plastic stuff to make R&R easy.... lmao.....
Old 05-15-07, 08:19 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SikLex
I've been waiting for a company to put out an intake for a while now. I've been keeping close contact with Luxury Motor Sports (LMS) out in Cali, they did some great work with the IS series. I've been told that they will be releasing a cold air intake sometime next month. Now my dilemma is whether or not to be patient and wait for it or go get the K&N. By the looks of it, it's a great intake too. The website to LMS is http://www.lmspower.com/, just incase anyone wants to check it out.
Cool, looks like there will be three gs350 intake kits to choose from soon: K&N, LMS and Fujita.

The one thing I don't see from the LMS site on their kits is a heatshield to surround the filter.... the K&N Typhoon kit does have this included... maybe LMS just doesn't list it on their site or maybe it is a separate item
Old 05-15-07, 08:23 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
You the man Bob...hope to see you sometime around Jax to check out that beast of yours
Check your PM
Old 05-16-07, 01:35 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on this K&N kit fitting a 2006 GS300 ?? Looked through the PDF manual and didn't see anything that stood out.. Obvioulsy the HP gains won't be the same..

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-8702TP
Old 05-16-07, 05:36 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kuch123
Any thoughts on this K&N kit fitting a 2006 GS300 ?? Looked through the PDF manual and didn't see anything that stood out.. Obvioulsy the HP gains won't be the same..

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-8702TP

Ron - The intake tube and filter (of course) should fit fine. The intake attaches to the TBU via a rubber boot, so even if the 300 motor TB inlet is a slightly different diameter than the 350, it should not be an issue. If the diameter is off by more than 1/2" inch, you may have a problem and need a new rubber boot from somewhere....

Two other questions come to mind:

- One question relates to the part where the heatshield attaches to the
motor (a valve cover bolt holds a strap down) and also to the inside unibody areas... that _may_ be very different in the 350 motor bay versus the 300, but I am just guessing here w/o a 300 to look at side by side.

- The other Q relates to the MAF sensor module. The K&N kit has you just unscrew the OEM MAF module and bolt it into the new chrome intake tube. If the MAF from the 300 motor is the same as the 350, then no worries.

If you can answer these questions, then the kit should work for you.
Old 05-16-07, 07:45 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

jaxgs350,

I've had mine on for about 2 weeks, just yesterday my "Check VSC" light came on along with the Slip Icon and Check engine. I already disconnected the battery and after 8-10 miles driving the same lights came on.

Let me know if you have this problem.
Old 05-16-07, 10:12 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fujifuzz
jaxgs350,

I've had mine on for about 2 weeks, just yesterday my "Check VSC" light came on along with the Slip Icon and Check engine. I already disconnected the battery and after 8-10 miles driving the same lights came on.

Let me know if you have this problem.
I'll watch for that - thanks. How would VSC be related to the intake? I don't see a correlation there.... did you get the grounding strap fastened back down well with the aluminum spacer? Maybe that is the source of the VSC light? Just a SWAG...

Did you get a diagnostic code read off it yet?
Old 05-16-07, 10:35 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Smile Pics? Someone wanted pics?

Close up under hood:

View from side under hood:

Filter and MAF attach point:

Corner view:

Intake attach to TBU:

Oil breather attach to manifold:

New air filter "box" area:

Support bar attach under valve cover bolt:

Heat shield and filter close up:yes, that is a bit of duct tape

Top view:

Yes, yes... I know.... the duct tape will be removed later. Needed to be sure filter did not slip off intake tube end over the first couple weeks while that oil on the rubber filter cone dries off completely... without something there, the filter was way too prone to popping off b/c of the excess filter element oil that splashed onto the rubber area during mfg. or packaging at K&N.... anyway, once it sets up a bit, I will remove the temporary tape and fasten down without any additional material.

I could just see myself in nice work attire one morning, standing on the side of the road, trying to push that filter back on if it were to come off... did not want to take that chance....
Old 05-16-07, 10:36 AM
phattbam
Lead Lap

YAY pictures.. thanks for taking your time with that.

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon Intake / Filter Upgrade for2007+ GS350 - install and first impressions