GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Beware!!! Uneven Wear on the Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 10:57 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Doesn't make much sense to keep turning those rotors. Are you riding your brake pedal? Drilled or slotted rotors won't solve that problem. I'd have new OEM rotors put on and try and figure out why you're eating up brake components. Something's not right.
+1, something doesn't sound right. Does the LSD help or are you sideways all over the place with that much power?
Old 05-19-07, 11:47 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Does the LSD help or are you sideways all over the place with that much power?
The chassis handles the power very well...hence the suspension mods. The rear weight bias on 911's is a benefit as long as you can manage to keep the power on throughout turns...even those you take a bit too fast (the trick is to balance understeer with a "bit" of throttle lift to maintain the line). Just don't overcook it and lift off the accelerator abruptly. You'll spin like a top! That's the reason so many 930's got totaled in the late 80's. Full boost would hit unexpectedly (turbo-lag) around a curve and the instinctive "lift" would send them flying into the trees. Later 911's like yours are a bit more civilized (PASM) but you still can't completely override the laws of physics. I'm guessing you've got a few stories of your own....we all do.

The Quaife is a torque-biasing-diff (no decel lock-up). It helps on turn 7 at Road Atlanta to keep the inside wheel from spinning on track-out, and also for Autocross. Helped take about a second off my lap time. Have you ever tracked your Carrera? You've got some of the best tracks in the country where you are!

And to keep this on-topic.....throttle-lift oversteer is not an issue with our front engined, rear drive GS's.

Last edited by chocaholic; 05-19-07 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-19-07, 05:54 PM
mickey99us
Rookie

i have like 35k. you think maybe it could be break pads because i know you have to a sacrifice something for having 0 brake dust, you think it gets to hot? when i had them checked the last time it still had plenty of pad left hardly any wear. hell i have yet to turn anything on my Z and i drive that baby good.
Old 05-19-07, 06:40 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chocaholic
The chassis handles the power very well...hence the suspension mods. The rear weight bias on 911's is a benefit as long as you can manage to keep the power on throughout turns...even those you take a bit too fast (the trick is to balance understeer with a "bit" of throttle lift to maintain the line). Just don't overcook it and lift off the accelerator abruptly. You'll spin like a top! That's the reason so many 930's got totaled in the late 80's. Full boost would hit unexpectedly (turbo-lag) around a curve and the instinctive "lift" would send them flying into the trees. Later 911's like yours are a bit more civilized (PASM) but you still can't completely override the laws of physics. I'm guessing you've got a few stories of your own....we all do.

The Quaife is a torque-biasing-diff (no decel lock-up). It helps on turn 7 at Road Atlanta to keep the inside wheel from spinning on track-out, and also for Autocross. Helped take about a second off my lap time. Have you ever tracked your Carrera? You've got some of the best tracks in the country where you are!

And to keep this on-topic.....throttle-lift oversteer is not an issue with our front engined, rear drive GS's.
My 997S is actually surprisingly neutral. I had a 996 before and the understeer and porpoising was miserable. It's been greatly improved in the 997 but with PASM it will never be as hairy as "real" 911s. Yes, and to keep things on topic, the GS can get quite tail happy as well. I turned off traction control and VSC the other day and had a little fun getting the back end loose.