GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 03:22 PM
aces wild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tire Pressure Sensors

I know there has been plenty of post on TPS....However, i've been seeing different people still having issues with the lights coming on.

I have some 20' Lowenhart's that I have been waiting to put on and my question is:

When I do put them on, should i purchase new sensors or switch over from my stock rims? Different Lexus dealers are telling me different things.

Do i have to pay Lexus to reprogram the sensors to my car or can I simply reset it myself under the drivers side?

Will the light still come on once sensors are put on and reprogrammed? and is something i just have to deal with repeatedly?
Old 05-30-07, 03:25 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

If your rims accomodate TPSs, just use yours, you may not even have to reset anything or program anything. When I swapped rims, it was not even an issue, but either way the manual tells you how to initiate them after tire change / wheel change etc
Old 05-30-07, 04:01 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

put them in your spare and call it a day when you put on your new wheels...

in my opinion...if you're running 20's the TPS probably wont save you by the time you can tend to the issue if you have a leak for example...just one of the risk with large rims...again...my opinion only.
Old 05-30-07, 04:32 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

I have two sets just to make it easier when switching between different sets of tires....but that was before I knew about what HKN was mentioning. Once I knew about what HKN said, I just put the TPMS sensors in the trunk and then I didn't have to worry about installing them on my aftermarket tires....most people just want to eliminate that dashboard light anyways.
Old 05-30-07, 05:42 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexneffect
I just put the TPMS sensors in the trunk and then I didn't have to worry about installing them on my aftermarket tires....most people just want to eliminate that dashboard light anyways.
Wait a minute. You put the sensors in the trunk (not in an inflated tire) and you don't get a dashboard light?
Old 05-30-07, 05:57 PM
APPRLKING
Rookie

I would transfer the stock TPMS sensor onto your aftermarket wheels. They'll help detect slow leaks or minor punctures and it'll help especially if you're on three-piece wheels because a lot of three piece wheels tend to spring slow leaks after some time.
Old 05-30-07, 07:18 PM
GSFKN3
Driver School Candidate

been driving with the low tire pressure light on for over a year. Its not so bad.....

.....my opinion.
Old 05-30-07, 07:41 PM
thomastp
Driver School Candidate

i had an issue with my tire sensors after i put my 22's back on my gs. the rim shop took the sensors off my stocks and put them on the 22's and i had no problems at all. after a while i put my stocks back on and i got a check system light that came on. i eventually put my 22's back on and the light stayed on which was extremely annoying. i read on another thread that under neath the driver side steering wheel, there is a little button. have your car on in park and press and hold this button until you see a message like 'tire pressure initialized' or something like that. then you turn your car off and turn it back on. after a couple of minutes my 'check system' light turned off.
Old 05-30-07, 10:39 PM
aces wild
Driver School Candidate

What do you mean when you say throw it in the trunk? Do you mean just leaving all 4 TPS hanging around inside the trunk or installing to my spare tire?

If I do just leave them inside the trunk without installing it into my aftermarket rims, would this eliminate the light issues?
Old 05-30-07, 10:43 PM
phattbam
Lead Lap

I had to read the manual to fix my tire pressure light today. turn your car on, press and hold the TPMS button. the light will flash slowly 3x, then it well display a message. you're good to go after that.
Old 05-30-07, 11:48 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aces wild
What do you mean when you say throw it in the trunk? Do you mean just leaving all 4 TPS hanging around inside the trunk or installing to my spare tire?

If I do just leave them inside the trunk without installing it into my aftermarket rims, would this eliminate the light issues?
Geez.....I guess I was in a hurry when I wrote this before heading out the door from work.....lol. I meant I had it installed into my spare tire in the trunk. I actually had another set of TPMS so I didn't have to remove the ones from the factory wheels. The lexus dealership then reprogrammed the 2nd set of sensors into the secondary settings so I can still use my OEM wheels. All I have to do is switch to the primary setting and the TPMS would function normally.

Orginally, I was going to install my 2nd set of sensors into my aftermarket wheels but since the wheels are not made for TPMS, it meant the sensors would be mounted behind the face of the rims, therefore making the adjustment of tire pressure nearly impossible. The other choice would be to install TPMS inside the aftermarket wheels by utilizing a tire strap. The problem is that I've had a friend who did this to his car and it came loose after a hard bump in the road.....if that happens, then you'd be really screwed since the TPMS would almost certainly break as well as having to dismount/remount the tires again.

Hope this clarifies things.....

Curtis
Old 05-31-07, 04:27 PM
aces wild
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all assistance...

So basically, if I buy a new set of TPS sensors, I can have Lexus dealer program them into the secondary settings and just leave the sensors in my trunk or my spare? Doing this will disable my dash light?
Old 05-31-07, 04:38 PM
phattbam
Lead Lap

it should. find out if the Lexus dealership will charge you for programming them though. They might or might not since you're buying something from them. good luck
Old 05-31-07, 05:53 PM
cenglebert
Driver School Candidate

Here is what I did, I bought a set of HRR MR2 in Chrome, 19 inch. I then got a second set of TPS from Sewell Lexus, they had the best price. All after market wheel manufactures will say that their wheels are TPS compatable, the way the LEXUS TPS is made, it fits on the inside lip of the rim. My after market wheels didn't have this lip. When we mounted them I would get air down after an hour at 80mph, very disturbing. I had my tire guy remount the TPS with engine sealant to keep the threads from leaking air, which they do even on the factory wheels unless you use some sealant. The TPS are mounted with a hard plastic collar, kinda of a poor design. After the sealant no problems. The lexus dealer charged me $35 to initialize. He them showed me the button on the passenger side underneath the glove box to hit when I put my stock wheels and tires on for the winter.
I like to have things work so the light on all the time would drive me crazy.
Old 06-01-07, 04:39 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aces wild
Thanks for all assistance...

So basically, if I buy a new set of TPS sensors, I can have Lexus dealer program them into the secondary settings and just leave the sensors in my trunk or my spare? Doing this will disable my dash light?
The dash light won't go out if you only put the TPMS in the trunk.....it has to be in the spare tire where the pressure is at a stablized level.

Lexus will charge you approximately $220 to do everything (labor only).

Curtis

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors