GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is this paint really supposed to be this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 10:14 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this paint really supposed to be this bad?

Seriously, when does one consider the paint job on a new car to be defective? I have owned this car for less than 6 months, and it is virtually destroyed. The amount of chips and damage that are right down to the metal is ridiculous. They're not on the doors (i.e. parking lot dings), but up the sides of the windshield, the quarter panel, the top of the hood, etc. I understand that mfrs. have messed w/the formula, but this is crazy. Friends are shocked at the damage to this new car. I didn't think I'd have to shrink-wrap the car when I bought it. I am really upset. It's such a beautiful car.
Old 05-31-07, 10:34 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

my experience with cars...euro's have the best paint...it's thick and laid on well. not sure as to why japanese cars have paint issues...all my honda's need maintainance (detailing) to keep the paint looking good and also a few toyotas....this is my first lexus and i have a few nicks here and there but from what i can see the paint isn't as thick or nice as euros...

but you are right, it is a beautiful car regardless...just have to pay more attention to the paint i guess and road conditions as well as where you park it...
Old 05-31-07, 10:46 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

I've had no such issues with my black 06 GS. I wonder if it's color-related.

Based on your description, I would definately escalate the issue with the dealer/Lexus. They don't need that kind of publicity.
Old 05-31-07, 11:10 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also think that paint is too soft. I didn't buy this car for show purposes or to drive on a smooth freeway (where it gets sandblasted anyway). I think the least you can do is to install a clearbra to protect your bumper/hood/side_mirrors. I wouldn't consider my car being virtually destroyed (except for hit'n'run and a new bumper I just got ), but I find a few of the chips to be too deep. I seriously wish you can clearbra the whole car front to back...
Old 05-31-07, 12:00 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I have seen some people clearbra their whole car.
Old 05-31-07, 12:41 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
Seriously, when does one consider the paint job on a new car to be defective? I have owned this car for less than 6 months, and it is virtually destroyed. The amount of chips and damage that are right down to the metal is ridiculous. They're not on the doors (i.e. parking lot dings), but up the sides of the windshield, the quarter panel, the top of the hood, etc. I understand that mfrs. have messed w/the formula, but this is crazy. Friends are shocked at the damage to this new car. I didn't think I'd have to shrink-wrap the car when I bought it. I am really upset. It's such a beautiful car.
I have also owned my car for about 6 months and it is also Silver color. I have no paint damage. I previously had a Silver 99 GS300 for 8 years and the paint was outstanding. I also had Honda Accords and found the paint very good. The only car that I owned that had poor paint was a Nissan Maxima 99.

So it sounds like you may have a defective paint job. I cannot find even 1 tiny chip on the front of my car. But, I never tailgate other vehicles, which I know will cause chips.
Old 05-31-07, 05:34 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. I guess "virtually destroyed" was a bit extreme, the car wasn't t-boned by a semi. What I'm saying is, these are not minor scratches that can be buffed out. They are many and they are deep. Therefore, permanent damage, so to speak (touch-ups are pathetic). I'm a reasonable person and expect a certain amount of collateral damage from the road, but this is crazy. I don't remember my other Lexus cars looking like this after 3 and/or 4 years.
Old 05-31-07, 05:39 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. I guess "virtually destroyed" was a bit extreme, the car wasn't t-boned by a semi. What I'm saying is, these are not minor scratches that can be buffed out. They are many and they are deep. Therefore, permanent damage, so to speak (touch-ups are pathetic). I'm a reasonable person and expect a certain amount of collateral damage from the road, but this is crazy. I don't remember my other Lexus cars looking like this after 3 and/or 4 years.
Yup, you have the exact same car that I have. Same color. I cannot find 1 little chip on my car. I also picked it up in New Jersey and drove it across Penn where you live in January. So, you do seem to have a problem with your paint. I'd take it to the dealer and ask them about the quality of your paint job.
Old 05-31-07, 08:28 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few chips on my paint and some are down to the metal. I can't really compare since this is my first car, but that's why I got a clear bra after the first chip on the hood.
Old 06-01-07, 09:34 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a couple of chips, but I noticed that the clear coat is really soft and scratch easily. I'm constantly polishing the fine scratches. Maybe I'm obsessive compulsive,
Old 06-01-07, 11:30 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

I was under the impression that there were new regulations regarding ALL auto paint that unfortunatley weakens them from an all around standpoint, meaning they will chip easier, scratch easier, etc.

I friend of mine who works for many high end dealers here in Orange County told me this a while ago. He runs a paintless dent removal/touch up company and said it is becoming a huge problem.

A quick google search confirms that many auto manufacturers have (or have been) transitioning to a "water based paint" due to new regulations. Toyota is a leader in this transition as well as an early adapter to the process. The goal being to lower emissions.

I am not saying I am 100% correct, not am I an expert in this field, but what my friend has told me and what you can find searching for "water based paint, autos, VOC (volatile organic compunds) seems to make a little sense.

Last edited by beachfront; 06-01-07 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Follow Up
Old 06-01-07, 11:47 PM
vandit23
Driver

I don't think that this can be attributed to a paint defect, per se. I think what the real issue is, is where you drive and how you drive. For me, being in Los Angeles, there are a lot of trucks on the freeway that fling up all the trash, rubble, and etc. I do have chips on the car, but it's no big deal. Touch-up paint is an option, and clear bra is something I may look into. Also, I think that the paint being defective is unlikely because I am pretty sure that all 99.99999% of the cars are painted exactly the same at the factory. I don't see how they can botch a paint job to the point where it would be defective. This is not to say that that may not happen, but VERy unlikely. I also, read somewhere that the paint formulations have been modified to be more eco-friendly, so that may contribute to the problem.
I have an 1999 Acura TL where the paint has held up pretty similarly to my 07 GS350, and touch-up paint has helped.
Old 06-02-07, 12:28 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is silver and I have had it 7 months and have just under 14k miles on it. I have a few small 1mm diameter chips on my bumper that are down to the black plastic. This is pretty normal for these cars and consistent with the 4 Toyotas I have had in the last 3 years.
Old 06-03-07, 02:42 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

about 5 months here. I have one chips and its on the read door. I have no idea how it gets chipped there. hood is fine. (knock on wood)