GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Run-flats better than regular tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 12:42 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember that I traded-in my `02 SC430 for an `04, and had the dealer switch out the run flats that were on the `04 for new Pilots that were on the `02. My salesman drove the `04 back from the tyre shop and he told me he was amazed at how much better the ride and handling was with the Pilots.
Old 06-12-07, 01:09 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSUFlasher
I think it's more an impression people have of them and an exaggerated truth than anything else. I drove a GS350 without them and there was a difference but only noticeable because I was looking for a difference. When others have drove in my car with the run-flats, they never thought anything of it.
I wasn't looking for a difference with my tires. In fact, I was still in the "honeymoon" stage with my new car when a passenger asked why the ride was so hard and bumpy. The truth is, the ride really was awful. I do feel a difference with the Michelins, and I'm glad I made the switch. Of course, I made sure to get a spare (albeit a small one) w/my car.
Old 06-26-07, 01:48 PM
tinsnip
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

LAARS, the manual says that if you ever have a flat and ride for any length of time on your run-flats, you have to replace them, meaning all four since now you would have a new tire with three worn ones... it is a rip-off, and with the TPMS, I am not sure if I want anyone else than the dealer fooling around with them, another rip-off, since the dealer is much more expensive...
Old 06-26-07, 02:42 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, the tire needed to be replaced, but there wasn't enough wear on the other 3 to make a difference. So I only had to replace the punctured tire.
Old 06-26-07, 04:22 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

down side can come if you damage one on a trip enough to have to replace it. Not too many dealers carry them and if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place, you may spend a few days waiting to get the tire aired in to the location. I had a C5 vette and speak from experience. However all four tires on Vettes are directional and different sizes front to back so the dealer has to carry four tires just in case a Vette has a flat. A lot of dealers just do not keep those in stock. That is probably the biggest down side I see.
Old 06-26-07, 08:51 PM
JIM 135
Driver School Candidate

Angry Dunlop run flats

Anyone that owns a 2006 gs300 awd beware! My wife and I both own them and we are experiencing them same problem. My wifes car had a front passenger side tire go flat. When I pulled the wheel off of the car ,I got my hand puntured from the steel beads that were exposed. I thought that she had run over something. I looked at the drivers side front and it had the exact same wear pattern, but had not gone flat at that point. I immediately checked both rear tires and they were also worn on the inside,but not down to the beads. The tires had lots of tread on the rest of the tire. They were worn evenly except for the first inch of the inside edge. After seeing the condition of her tires I checked my gs300 awd. The exact same condition was observed. Her car has 28,345 miles and mine has 23,450. I know that Lexus claims they are expected to last about 20,000 miles. I am well aware of soft compounds on tires, but if you just looking at your tires from a standing position or even leaning down to observe them you will not no the true condition. This is a real serious safety issue. If you experience the same problem, good luck getting Lexus to do anything. Both my car and my wifes were within factory specs. Lexus took the position that we got more miles than expected. This incident took us leaving her car at the dealership for two weeks, no one called us back about the car, even after I called the dealership,to find out the status. I had to call Lexus in CA. to find out what was going on. Lexus blew this off like no big deal. I was not asking for anything other than to make them aware of the problem. It is really sad to be treated like this by Lexus. This was our 4th Lexus. It will also be our last. It is too bad because they make great cars. Sorry about rambling on, but if you own an awd, make sure you check the tread by running your hand to inside edge of tire. Carefully!!!!
Old 06-27-07, 09:21 AM
tinsnip
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Jim135, I read your long commentary with interest. OK, I have an 06 GS300 AWD with std. run-flats.. on the plus side, with 23,500 miles it looks as though I can wait until 30,000 until replacment. Based on this forum and talking to Lexus people, I do not plan to replace my tires with run-flats... that said, the car corners like it's on rails without so much as a lean, and in spite of this am getting what I consider fair wear out of them.

Reading your story, I feel lucky, and I probably will not get another Lexus, but not for the tire reason, rather for the lack of road feel (vague steering response) when compared to my previous Mercedes.

Whatever I get will have AWD, I am sold on it. One day I needed to go up a steep driveway covered with ice, and instinctively I gunned the car to make it. Imagine my surprise the drive by wire overrode my heavy foot, and the wheels were spinning as slow as possible to get maximum traction.

Anyway, thanks for your input Jimbo,

/Nick
Old 06-27-07, 01:22 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tinsnip
One day I needed to go up a steep driveway covered with ice, and instinctively I gunned the car to make it.
I'll miss doing that in the winter
Old 07-06-07, 06:17 AM
RedGS430
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06' GS430. My run flats have needed to be replaced since 10,000 miles. Those tires are junk. I wanted lexus to warranty them and they blew me off. I finally got them to say they would pay for one. I'm going with non-run flat sumitomo's. I hate run flats.