GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Augh! Had to get rid of HID fogs+other annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 10:18 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Augh! Had to get rid of HID fogs+other annoyances

I got a set of aftermarket HID kit to replace my fog lights. Was great, except I couldn't figure out why most of my lower radio stations quit working when I drove at night. I finally figured out it was the fogs that was causing it. I took it back to the aftermarket shop to get it checked. They were nice enough to remove the fogs and try it without the HIDs. Turns out the ballasts was causing the interference. They agreed to remove the HID but charge me the labor. Had to do it. Wife was getting mad her radio stations was the ones not working and trying to remember to turn off/on the fogs at night really wasn't an option as why have lights if you need to leave it off. So they credited me for the kit (This was nice of them as this installation was done in January. I'm guessing they would reuse it into an unsuspecting car.) But I would loose on the $100 installation. I wanted something better than stock so they agreed to put in a set of 9006 Xtreme White Plus
(http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...PIA19616/353.0) for $88 for the bulbs. They said it would be white, but not bluish. Which is fine by me. I drive home....

Next part of the story- I notice that the stations are still having a hard time coming in. At least they come in now, before with the fogs, it would be complete static. So I guess I still have an issue with the audio in my car. The reception is like a car made in the 80's with a whip antenna.

I get home and have a chance to turn on the lights. THEY LOOK YELLOW. Aguh. $88 down the drain. WTF. I think I know why. The bulb are OEM from Piaa. But the K is 4000k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that yellow range? 5000k is around white and 6000k is turning blue and 6500k is going into the purple range?

Kinda worn out. I don't know if I should go back and complain about the color of the fog lights. On Piaa's website, it does say its supposed to be "blue" tint, but I see no blue or white in the light, nor does it seem brighter. (supposed to be =110watt light) I know thats bogus but still.

So now I'm out $188+ and I have fogs about the same brightness and color as stock. It's irking me But should I complain when after 5months they did take back the HID? Oh they said they never had this issue before. They did a Lexus before with the same HID kit with no issues. BUT yet they never tried another kit in my car. They said the kit was fine so trying another would yield nothing.
Old 06-05-07, 11:22 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

Sorry To Hear That Bro...but Dang...100 For Install On Hid's...i Did It Myself And It Took 30 Min For Both Sides And I Secured And Hid Everything...no Offense But I Think You Got Over Charged...

I Have Hid Fogs On My Gs And Never Had Problems With Radio Stations...but I Know What You Are Talking About...honestly All You Have To Do Is Either Ground The Ballast To The Chassis Or Insulate The Ballasts...

I Would Seriously Go Back And Talk To The Shop...appearantly They Dont Know What They Are Doing Or Just Playing You...

BTW YELLOW IS 3000K....AND THERE'S REAL YELLOW HID'S TOO...SEARCH THE FORUMS...
Old 06-05-07, 11:32 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Hawaii is like that. Most places sells that kit for about $450-500 w/installation. They say they charge you $100. At the time I got the fogs updated, I jsut got the car. I really didn't feel like removing anything off the car myself. So $100 was ok with me. Just feeling a bit ripped at the moment. I just wish the radio worked.
Yup 3k is closer to what those real yellow fog lights look like. I didn't want that look for my car.
Old 06-06-07, 02:48 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WHat brand was it?

Maybe it was generic.

Try OEM type ballast.... such manufactures are Matsush_ita.
Old 06-06-07, 04:44 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
and trying to remember to turn off/on the fogs at night really wasn't an option as why have lights if you need to leave it off.
They are fog lights, as in "for driving in the foggy conditions". There is nothing that pisses me off more at night than all the a-holes with super-bright fog lights driving behind me.
Old 06-06-07, 05:59 AM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
They are fog lights, as in "for driving in the foggy conditions". There is nothing that pisses me off more at night than all the a-holes with super-bright fog lights driving behind me.
I hate to say it, but I agree with Modeler on this one!
Old 06-06-07, 08:32 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

hey mark..how's it going...

dont you also have HID fogs?

Modeler...not all of us with "super bright" hid fogs aim them high, haha, let's not put everyone in the same catagory ahaha...=)

I dont agree with using "fog" light just in foggy situations...they help visibility at night on poorly lit road and it is another set of lights to help distinguish you on the road from on-coming traffic....
Old 06-06-07, 08:41 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKN
hey mark..how's it going...

Modeler...not all of us with "super bright" hid fogs aim them high, haha, let's not put everyone in the same catagory ahaha...=)

I dont agree with using "fog" light just in foggy situations...they help visibility at night on poorly lit road and it is another set of lights to help distinguish you on the road from on-coming traffic....
They do help visibility just in front of the car, when you're driving at slow speed on poorly-lit local streets. But on the highways, it only improves your visibility to the cops, who love to bust people who think they're driving distinctive sports cars.
Old 06-06-07, 08:46 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

starstreak, the bulbs you have in the fog lights now are 100 watts?
Old 06-06-07, 09:05 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

I also installed 3000k HID kit for my foglight, only took me about 30 minutes to install them. I do not have any problem with my radio either, except the common known "RATTLES" from the windshields (front and back) and the dashborad.
Old 06-06-07, 09:16 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

wouldn't you just consider getting from xenondepot.com

I have had nothing but good luck with each set I have bought from them, and I am even about to order the HID kit for my GsX-R 1K moto.

Maybe try a different brand? Maybe place the balasts in different spots?

I have no problems with mine, no whinning, no interference with stations, nothing.... just brighter streets at night
Old 06-06-07, 11:33 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yup. I miss it. For me Modeler, it lights in the gap on the sides and just forward of the car. The stock ones really don't have the wattage to do that. If they are too bright for you, then either they angled it wrong, or you're thinking of driving lights which throws light farther infront of the car.

Car Lost- No..These replacement bulbs from Piaa are a joke, its a 51w that "looks" like a 110watt bulb. I knew that wasn't true, what I was hoping was to move away from the yellow look. Which these fail miserably.

Jace7- I would order from them or that other online place (forgot the name, they sell the 6-8k replacement driving HID bulb) I just don't want to do it yet, if part of the cause is the audio system. When I take my car in for its 5k oil change, I'm gonna give them my arm long list to fix stuff and see if that helps first. Then I'll reorder the HID kit.

I hate looking stock again. Just looks normal.

Last edited by starstreak; 06-06-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 11:39 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by conclevage
I hate to say it, but I agree with Modeler on this one!

Wait, you know he was talking about people like US that has modded fog lights. Mr-I-have-6k HID-fog-lights-and-6k-hid-driving-lights. Because you're modded fog lights are just as bright as my old one was.
Old 06-06-07, 01:08 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Wait, you know he was talking about people like US that has modded fog lights. Mr-I-have-6k HID-fog-lights-and-6k-hid-driving-lights. Because you're modded fog lights are just as bright as my old one was.
HAHA! You're right...However, I only turn them on in bad conditions (rain/snow/fog/dim lit back roads). I don't turn them on just to "look cool" on the highway...well...maybe sometimes...maybe I was driving behind Modeler one time when he got pissed off on the highway
Old 06-06-07, 01:38 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by conclevage
HAHA! You're right...However, I only turn them on in bad conditions (rain/snow/fog/dim lit back roads). I don't turn them on just to "look cool" on the highway...well...maybe sometimes...maybe I was driving behind Modeler one time when he got pissed off on the highway
You do live in Virginia, so it is possible

Quick Reply: Augh! Had to get rid of HID fogs+other annoyances