GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Side Mirror ~ Stuck after Reversing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 09:37 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mirrors have been returning to a different position after switching from reverse to drive. I'll be cruising down the road and notice that I can no longer see the lanes behind me, just more of the sky. Kind of like the mirrors are no longer calibrated very well. They still move up and down fine, just not in the right amount.
Old 06-14-07, 11:40 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe your shifting out gear from reverse to drive too fast for it to sense?
Old 06-15-07, 06:11 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LXXTASY
That shouldn't be a problem though.
Old 06-15-07, 11:02 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Originally Posted by LXXTASY
It seems like I am doing the same thing I have always done. This just started in last month (11K miles). Definitely something wrong with them after paying more attention to it today.
Old 05-04-08, 01:41 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my driver side mirror just got stuck in the down position. I hate bringing the car to the dealer, they always seem to dent or scratch my car. Also, I'm also afraid that the same issues will occur even after being replaced. Lastly, I have the clear bra material on my side view mirrors. If they replace the entire assembly I will have one mirror with the clear and the other without.
Old 05-04-08, 03:10 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CsKWarEd
I had the same issue, and I took it in to my local stealership and they swapped it out. The weird thing is, that they don't take it appart and try to replace the motor. They actually replaced the whole mirror and housing, so I guess they had my color just sitting around in stock and put it on. I was worried about this idea b/c of color matching/fading but it looked great. You really couldn't tell at all, and it was all covered under my waranty.

Okay they replace the whole mirror. I'm wondering if the dealership would allow the buyer to pay the difference for the '08 directionals?? I'm having the same issues with my mirrors.
Old 05-05-08, 07:26 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I took it in this morning and the dealer ordered both a new driver and passenger side mirror. The service counselor indicated about 5-10% of the GS models they see have issues where the motors get slightly stuck. Until I get the new mirrors she said to slightly tap on the housing while trying to position the mirror UP. I did what she said and it worked.

The electric motor and drive gear system may have over extended to the point where the motor does not have enough initial torque to move the mirror to the opposite direction due to the positioning of the gears. Anyways, it's minor!

Actually, having the mirror replaced with the exact same assembly will just mean the likelyhood of re-occurance is high. I'm thinking about not even getting the mirrors replaced and just turning off the automatic tilt.
Old 05-05-08, 07:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont use the auto tilt function at all, I find it to be useless.
Old 05-05-08, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nardeezy
I took it in this morning and the dealer ordered both a new driver and passenger side mirror. The service counselor indicated about 5-10% of the GS models they see have issues where the motors get slightly stuck. Until I get the new mirrors she said to slightly tap on the housing while trying to position the mirror UP. I did what she said and it worked.

The electric motor and drive gear system may have over extended to the point where the motor does not have enough initial torque to move the mirror to the opposite direction due to the positioning of the gears. Anyways, it's minor!

Actually, having the mirror replaced with the exact same assembly will just mean the likelyhood of re-occurance is high. I'm thinking about not even getting the mirrors replaced and just turning off the automatic tilt.
it's not the motor, it's the gear which is plastic and they wear out. have seen more than a few cases on different lexus models
Old 05-05-08, 11:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Gotta love those plastic gears
Old 05-05-08, 02:34 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont use the auto tilt function at all, I find it to be useless.
The passenger side auto tilt is important if you don't want to scrape the dubs while parallel parking.
Old 05-05-08, 02:49 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Both of my mirrors have been tempermental, particularly the driver's side. Then the driver's side would not move side to side and was stuck for 2 wks. I finally took it in and they replaced it. Prior to that, my mirrors never stayed in their proper position. It's really nice to be able to get in the car and start driving with the mirrors right where I left them.
Old 05-11-08, 01:11 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Same thing just happened to me this morning. Does anybody think the new ones they replace your old mirrors with have been manufactured differently to alleviate this problem?
Old 05-11-08, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanlim
Same thing just happened to me this morning. Does anybody think the new ones they replace your old mirrors with have been manufactured differently to alleviate this problem?
nop, it's the same thing. it's plastic
Old 05-12-08, 07:10 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

after at least 10 years of making electric mirrors, lexus still makes something that breaks. wtf

Quick Reply: Side Mirror ~ Stuck after Reversing