GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS going in for service- 1st time

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 02:08 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS going in for service- 1st time

Well I have my appointment scheduled for its 1st appointment. Hope it goes well. I'm having them do the following (cut 'n paste from an email I sent to them):

1) 5k oil change
2) Replace front brake pads due to way too much break dust. (TSB#BR002-06) This is covered under warrenty.
3) Driver side seat belt. when you unbuckle it and pull it to strap it back on, it locks up. But unlike it locking because you pull it too hard, it doesn't unplug unless you tug/release it a few times
4) Radio reception is BAD. Anything lower that 93.9 will pickup static of some sort. I think only 92.3 comes in clear. This is the worst reception I had since I owned a 1990 Civic. The ammount of static varies depending where you drive. I even own a 2004 Sienna van and I get perfect reception.
5) Gas door doesn't close without a lot of force.

Pretty much all should be covered.
Old 06-11-07, 02:23 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Well I have my appointment scheduled for its 1st appointment. Hope it goes well. I'm having them do the following (cut 'n paste from an email I sent to them):

1) 5k oil change
2) Replace front brake pads due to way too much break dust. (TSB#BR002-06) This is covered under warrenty.
3) Driver side seat belt. when you unbuckle it and pull it to strap it back on, it locks up. But unlike it locking because you pull it too hard, it doesn't unplug unless you tug/release it a few times
4) Radio reception is BAD. Anything lower that 93.9 will pickup static of some sort. I think only 92.3 comes in clear. This is the worst reception I had since I owned a 1990 Civic. The ammount of static varies depending where you drive. I even own a 2004 Sienna van and I get perfect reception.
5) Gas door doesn't close without a lot of force.

Pretty much all should be covered.
I'm not a tech guru, but changing the pads w/o turning the rotors...won't that mean your pads may not have full surface to surface contact?
Old 06-11-07, 03:22 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bushwack
I'm not a tech guru, but changing the pads w/o turning the rotors...won't that mean your pads may not have full surface to surface contact?
I'm sure after the break pads get broken in they'd have full surface to surface contact.
Old 06-11-07, 04:11 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure if it needs turning, they would do that. Or at least I would think they would, as it would save on a trip back to the shop, which lexus wouldn't want?
Old 06-11-07, 06:19 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

As long as your rotors aren't warped, I wouldn't let them turn them. Removing material reduces their heat-sync capability and makes them more likely to warp over time. You'll know because your brake pedal will pulse/vibrate when braking from freeway speeds. Any surface irregularities in your rotors will have little or no effect on the effectiveness of your brakes, and your new pads will "customize" themselves to seat perfectly within the first few hundred miles.
Old 06-20-07, 06:32 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I am so TICKED! I dropped off my car the night before. No loaners, since none was available. K.
I was told I would get a call by 2pm to get a status of my car. No call at 2pm. I call them at 2:15 and once more at 2:45pm.Both times to an answering machine. I then get a call at around 3:10pm. He tell me they are just starting on my car, and that they can only do the "free" oil change. They can't do anything else I requested when I placed my appointment because they were backed up and that some cars didn't even get started on. (Is it just me, or is that NOT my concern?) The service consultant then tells me that next time I should get a loaner. Like no crap! I asked him if they had a loaner, he said no. That's normally available if I called in a month in advance. Needless to say, I had to reschedule for NEXT MONTH so they can make sure I get a Lexus ES as a loaner. ES... That's a Camery right?

Last edited by starstreak; 06-20-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 07:28 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

^^^ Sounds like a horrible dealership to me.

And no the ES is not a Camery; however, it is pretty similar to Camry.
Old 06-20-07, 07:53 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I was joking about eh Camry. I just meant he's making sure I get a loaner and that it'll be a ES. Like its a big deal. You had to hear his voice. Keep in mind I'm in a GS350
Old 06-20-07, 07:57 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I was joking about eh Camry. I just meant he's making sure I get a loaner and that it'll be a ES. Like its a big deal. You had to hear his voice. Keep in mind I'm in a GS350
haha...

I wonder if they give different loaners to different customers?
Old 06-20-07, 08:01 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

When I requested for low dust brake pads to be installed to my GS350, they also turned my rotors. Due to the fact that high friction brake pads had caused rotors to wear unevenly. Inititally my rotors were at 29.5mm, they turned them to 29.0mm.

Besides the fact that it takes longer to stop, but hey... no brake dust on wheels.

I think is a pretty good trade (cleaning wheels daily v.s. longer distance to stop)!!!

At Sewell, I can drop by anytime for service without appointment and loaner are always available!!!
Old 06-20-07, 08:04 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't pickup my car yet. But yes they do. My sister who bought a 2007 RX had an issue with her car. They were going to put her in a IS. But that's not enough room for her and her kids. Needless to say they squeezed out a RX from somewhere. So they pretty much had all different types of loaners is my guess. So I know they have a ES,IS, RX so far. I bet theres a GS somewhere too.
I'm picking up my car in about an hour.
Old 06-20-07, 08:06 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

slk- Lucky. Hawaii has only on dealer. Oh yeah, they didn't want to do the breaks, he wanted me to make sure I understood it wouldn't stop as good as the old break pads. So I asked him if Lexus was putting on inferior parts... No, no. Its Lexus quality. lol.
Old 06-20-07, 08:07 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I didn't pickup my car yet. But yes they do. My sister who bought a 2007 RX had an issue with her car. They were going to put her in a IS. But that's not enough room for her and her kids. Needless to say they squeezed out a RX from somewhere. So they pretty much had all different types of loaners is my guess. So I know they have a ES,IS, RX so far. I bet theres a GS somewhere too.
I'm picking up my car in about an hour.
I meant more as in... Would a GS owner get a better loaner than say, an IS owner?
Old 06-20-07, 08:24 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Normally they would give you something equal to yours. You know, in case they wanted to "up" to what its like to ride in a better car. Normally, and I can only speak form my past loaners from my other cars, they give you something in the same size. Which I guess the ES is.
Old 06-20-07, 08:36 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Normally they would give you something equal to yours. You know, in case they wanted to "up" to what its like to ride in a better car. Normally, and I can only speak form my past loaners from my other cars, they give you something in the same size. Which I guess the ES is.
That's what I thought. Although I did notice that my neighbor with a GX and SC430 got a 3GS for loaner. Not sure which one was in service though.

Quick Reply: GS going in for service- 1st time