GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

JD Power IQS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 11:47 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdkinnh
Thats next. First I wanted a paper trail, and for them to see the service tickets. Also was curious to see what they would do. When I call, I'm going to ask if any sort of file has been open for me.... if not, it shows me how important customer service really is to them.

Again, not hating on Lexus. I know they usually produce a quality product, and a lot of people are very happy with their cars. Everyone can make a mistake and produce a lemon every now and then.
Ahhh, smart with the paper trail first, leave a record. Never thought about that.

As for the comfy seat in RL I like the GS much better, it's all personal preference.
Old 06-16-07, 12:42 PM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audimerc
Test drove a 335 just the other day and the car handles very well but just didn't like the exterior that much but may still get one. I will wait for the second year to see how many people are having problems with the engine since BMW has produced turbo engines in awhile and that could me cooling problems and blown engines.
I'm doing the BMW "Ultimate Drive" on Tuesday (a charity drive where you drive their cars and BMW donates $1 for every mile driven). Spending an hour with a 335 will be a good education.

They seem to be having good luck with the engine so far - they put it in the 5 series as well. They had some overheating problems at first, but that was due to the lack of oil coolers on some cars. One big problem they had (are having?) is with fuel pumps. I'm not sure if that one has been fixed yet.
Old 06-16-07, 12:44 PM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
'06 GS was plagued with rattles, and this problem is not as sever with '07 models.
In all honesty I'd prefer to stay with the GS; if Lexus would be willing to take my '06 and give me an '07, that would be cool with me.
Old 06-16-07, 01:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Merc owners need something to cheer about, however minor.....

do any of you actually have cars that are quiet over large bumps or potholes?
Old 06-16-07, 01:58 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack

Well if you go fast enough, you and your passengers would scream which I'm sure would cover any noises the car makes
Old 06-16-07, 02:21 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Merc owners need something to cheer about, however minor.....

So far yes but my car is still new so will have to wait and see. But dash rattles on this price of car is really unacceptable hence Lexus really deserved the lower rating in IQS and other surveys. They need to step things up back to couple of years ago so that they won't lose any sales back to the germans.
Old 06-16-07, 04:19 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gstois
I have a brand new GS that came with a couple of rattles. It replaced an IS350 that also had rattles. We also have a GX that experienced the infamous "clunk." These issues are annoying, but shouldn't taint otherwise fantastic cars. So far the dealer experience has been great in resolving them. My experience with lemon Mercedes and BMW cars was not so great. The service was horrible and I will probably never go back. Assuming Lexus keeps up the customer service, I never will. That's the difference for me.
!!!
Old 06-17-07, 06:56 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

too bad his RL doesnt get the respect of our GS hahaha :P

but i don't have any rattle issues with my 06 gs...not yet, "knocking on wood". haha and I know of 3 other 06 gs, all my friends, and none of them ever mentioned and rattling noise and all of them are rolling on 20's and dropped....luck of the draw i assume...
Old 06-17-07, 03:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HKN
too bad his RL doesnt get the respect of our GS hahaha :P

but i don't have any rattle issues with my 06 gs...not yet, "knocking on wood". haha and I know of 3 other 06 gs, all my friends, and none of them ever mentioned and rattling noise and all of them are rolling on 20's and dropped....luck of the draw i assume...

they sound like the kind of people who blast their stereos (bling bling, 20's, lots of bass ). So they would not be able to hear rattles if they existed anyway right?
Old 06-18-07, 06:24 PM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by audimerc
But dash rattles on this price of car is really unacceptable hence Lexus really deserved the lower rating in IQS and other surveys. They need to step things up back to couple of years ago so that they won't lose any sales back to the germans.
Since I've had to bring my 06 GS300 in for service many times, I've received many loaners. What has really surpsied me: ALL of them have had big rattle problems. Most of them have been 07 ES models, and they have had rattles and "cracking" problems that sounded like the windshield was going to break. Really quite a shock.
Old 06-18-07, 07:11 PM
audimerc
Driver

Boggles my mind when companies let their loaners, demo's and used cars have defects such as rattles. Someone at corporate should look into this since it affects the image of Lexus and potential buyers.I almost didn't buy the GS because I asked to test drive a used one instead of a demo and that had the rattle problem also but I looked further in forums and found the 5 series had more problems so I bought the lesser of two evils the lexus. Sad to say in this price range you have to settle for something that potentially have annoying problems. They only have to fix the dash rattles and other rattles and this car and lexus ratings would be impeccable.
Old 06-18-07, 08:53 PM
LexFather

REALTALK

People complaining about rattles need to look at the big picture.
1. Tire sidewalls decreased from 65/60 series to now 40/45 series. THis will cause a rougher ride and more rattles. People simply have to understand there is a drawback to us looking cute with our low profile tires.
2. Lexus cars are QUIET. Sometimes I hear things that I think are a rattle, upon futher investigation, its something I LEFT LOOSE in the car. They are too quiet, where you begin to listen for every little thing.
3. Some of it has to be Lexus. We are asking for better/equal quality at a good price. They are a business, they have to cut costs. They just amazingly do it in ways not so obvious as others.

I am at all not saying there is not a rattle problem, but look at those 3 things above.

Slap some 65 series sidewalls on a new GS or ES, and watch not one rattle happen.
Old 06-19-07, 05:39 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bdkinnh
Since I've had to bring my 06 GS300 in for service many times, I've received many loaners. What has really surpsied me: ALL of them have had big rattle problems. Most of them have been 07 ES models, and they have had rattles and "cracking" problems that sounded like the windshield was going to break. Really quite a shock.
This and similar posts are very disheartening. I was at my dealer last Friday looking at the GS350 while my LS was in for periodic service. The GS is such a cool looking car so I came home, got on this forum to research it, and discovered that this "rattle problem" is widespread, and apparently Lexus can't seem to get a permanent fix on it. Very disappointing in such a fine car. Interior rattles would drive me nuts in a luxury car like Lexus. I just don't understand why they can't fix seemingly simple problems like this, and the transmission hesitation problems in the ES series. Ratings will continue to drop in the JD Powers surveys if they don't address these widespread and well-publicized problems.

Last edited by rjm; 06-19-07 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-19-07, 06:39 AM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
REALTALK

People complaining about rattles need to look at the big picture.
1. Tire sidewalls decreased from 65/60 series to now 40/45 series. THis will cause a rougher ride and more rattles. People simply have to understand there is a drawback to us looking cute with our low profile tires.
2. Lexus cars are QUIET. Sometimes I hear things that I think are a rattle, upon futher investigation, its something I LEFT LOOSE in the car. They are too quiet, where you begin to listen for every little thing.
3. Some of it has to be Lexus. We are asking for better/equal quality at a good price. They are a business, they have to cut costs. They just amazingly do it in ways not so obvious as others.

I am at all not saying there is not a rattle problem, but look at those 3 things above.

Slap some 65 series sidewalls on a new GS or ES, and watch not one rattle happen.
response to your arguements.
1. Other vehicles that cost less with the same spec sidewall (ie Acura TL ) don't have the same dash rattle problem or sport cars that ride low and ride on low profile tires don't have the same incessant rattle.
2. The car is quiet but a rattle is a rattle and it is not because people here more because of the silence. My audi A4 has a dash rattle and it is noisier and it is just as unacceptable.
3.Well it is more of a design problem than a cost cutting problem but if it is a cost cutting problem it would be the dumbest area to cut the cost since it is obvious and very annoying for customers to have the dash rattle. There are obviously better areas to cut costs.

The rattles is strictly a design flaw and it needs to be corrected, simple as that otherwise the survey results will decrease and they will lose ground to the germans. Lexus has gained it's customers on reliability, customer service, value and none of the above is shown if the rattle situation with Lexus's is not resolved. Don't get me wrong I love my GS and I don't have the rattle in my car yet but there are to many complaints in the Lexus forums from IS,ES and GS owners that it shouldn't be ignored and excuses in this price of vehicle and with the exceptional competition in the 5 series and E-class could be very costly for lexus to lose such highly regarded customers since they would want these customers to eventually to purchase their flagship LS sedans.