GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

JD Power IQS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 07:56 AM
audimerc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JD Power IQS

JD Power released the latest 2007 IQS study and the E-Class beat the GS. People on mbworld are hollering about this report. Have you guys been having many problems other than the dash rattle? Have many of you had electrical problems or any other mechanical problems on your 07 GS350? If not than my assumption that the reason that the GS lost to the E-class in IQS is due to the dash rattle problems.
Old 06-12-07, 08:13 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume it must be due to the dash rattle, since I had a horrible one which was repaired quickly.
Old 06-12-07, 08:26 AM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it really make a difference if a report states one car is better than another? I got my Lexus because of overall value, not because of any reports. It's sad that anyone at MBWorld is getting a little too excited over a report...does that really mean they always thought the GS was a better car
Old 06-12-07, 08:49 AM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
Does it really make a difference if a report states one car is better than another? I got my Lexus because of overall value, not because of any reports. It's sad that anyone at MBWorld is getting a little too excited over a report...does that really mean they always thought the GS was a better car
Well I think that reports are important because it indicates how many customers are having problems but it is more important to find out what kind of problems they are like dash rattle compared to transmission problems. After my experience with the MB reliability problems I wouldn't care if Lexus was a better value but if it had bad reliability I wouldn't buy it that is why I think quality reports are important in choosing a vehicle now. I think from the reports also that many customers think that Lexus is reliable and MB not so they have come over to Lexus but if the reverse happens where Lexus becomes more unreliable in the consumers eyes since not are aware of the types of problems then they will head over to MB. That is why I am arguing with the MB owners that yes the E-class finished ahead of Lexus but the E-class has major problems compared to the minor dash problems on the GS.
Old 06-12-07, 10:38 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I agree these reports are very important. It's the only way for a consumer to know what car will give them more/less problems than another. People buy cars for different reasons, BMW/Audi for performance, Lexus/MB is more about luxury etc. Other items such as value, quality and prestige etc, come into play. Big selling points for lexus include Quality and MB has been considered not as quality as lexi. So, it makes since that if the quality has increased in MB that they would be happy about that and to have that 'confirmed' by a independent party is something to consider.

On the other hand, reports like this are not always the most helpful b/c the kinds of problems make a difference too. Smart consumers will make informed decisions and weigh needs, preferences and likes in various ways prior to purchase. Will this report sway some to MB - I think yes. I think it will also make lexus focus that much more on improving quality so that MB doesn't beat them again. So this report is a very good thing for current and future lexus buyers.
Old 06-12-07, 02:27 PM
gstois
Rookie

I have a brand new GS that came with a couple of rattles. It replaced an IS350 that also had rattles. We also have a GX that experienced the infamous "clunk." These issues are annoying, but shouldn't taint otherwise fantastic cars. So far the dealer experience has been great in resolving them. My experience with lemon Mercedes and BMW cars was not so great. The service was horrible and I will probably never go back. Assuming Lexus keeps up the customer service, I never will. That's the difference for me.
Old 06-15-07, 08:17 AM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by gstois
I have a brand new GS that came with a couple of rattles. It replaced an IS350 that also had rattles. We also have a GX that experienced the infamous "clunk." These issues are annoying, but shouldn't taint otherwise fantastic cars. So far the dealer experience has been great in resolving them. My experience with lemon Mercedes and BMW cars was not so great. The service was horrible and I will probably never go back. Assuming Lexus keeps up the customer service, I never will. That's the difference for me.
Hit it on the spot! Our cars may have minor problems here and there but Lexus customer service so far has impressed me. I have two MB's and customer service with them is not so great. You have to basically say your prayers and hope good will will cover the problems.
Old 06-15-07, 09:24 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audimerc
Hit it on the spot! Our cars may have minor problems here and there but Lexus customer service so far has impressed me. I have two MB's and customer service with them is not so great. You have to basically say your prayers and hope good will will cover the problems.
I agree as well, the MB dealership here could never fix the A/C problem on my C and Convenience entry/exit on the CLK I liked the coupe!
Old 06-15-07, 09:52 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Have you guys been having many problems other than the dash rattle? Have many of you had electrical problems or any other mechanical problems on your 07 GS350?
My rattle problems have been much more than just the dash... all over the cabin, actually. Also, my power steering has died (and been 'fixed') three times. So far I've had nine 'unexpected' service visits, and my car has spent 7% of its entire life in service. On average, I've had to bring it in every 70 days.

The most surprising thing: I wrote letters to Lexus customer service and the CEO (with return receipt so I know they received them). No response after a month.... not even a form letter.

Not a hater or a troll..... you asked, so I'm answering.
Old 06-15-07, 10:27 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdkinnh
My rattle problems have been much more than just the dash... all over the cabin, actually. Also, my power steering has died (and been 'fixed') three times. So far I've had nine 'unexpected' service visits, and my car has spent 7% of its entire life in service. On average, I've had to bring it in every 70 days.

The most surprising thing: I wrote letters to Lexus customer service and the CEO (with return receipt so I know they received them). No response after a month.... not even a form letter.

Should contact corporate by calling.
Old 06-15-07, 10:37 AM
audimerc
Driver

Wow sounds almost as bad as my experience with MB. I guess you can try MB,and BMW and see if they can do better since Lexus didn't treat you very well. That is why I have gone from MB to Lexus but hope I don't get the same treatment by Lexus(fingers crossed).
By the way what are you driving?
Old 06-15-07, 10:38 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Should contact corporate by calling.
Thats next. First I wanted a paper trail, and for them to see the service tickets. Also was curious to see what they would do. When I call, I'm going to ask if any sort of file has been open for me.... if not, it shows me how important customer service really is to them.

Again, not hating on Lexus. I know they usually produce a quality product, and a lot of people are very happy with their cars. Everyone can make a mistake and produce a lemon every now and then.
Old 06-15-07, 10:42 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Wow sounds almost as bad as my experience with MB. I guess you can try MB,and BMW and see if they can do better since Lexus didn't treat you very well. That is why I have gone from MB to Lexus but hope I don't get the same treatment by Lexus(fingers crossed).
By the way what are you driving?
I'll see how things go with Lexus first. I'm going to submit the lemon law paperwork soon; if they give me a new car, fine. If they give me a refund, I'll pick up a BMW 335 coupe. If they do neither (or the refund is too small), I'll trade mine in for a 335 coupe.

The dealer (Lexus of Manchester in New Hampshire) has treated me very well. Lexus corporate has not.

I'm driving a 2006 GS300 AWD.
Old 06-15-07, 10:48 AM
audimerc
Driver

I'll see how things go with Lexus first. I'm going to submit the lemon law paperwork soon; if they give me a new car, fine. If they give me a refund, I'll pick up a BMW 335 coupe. If they do neither (or the refund is too small), I'll trade mine in for a 335 coupe.

The dealer (Lexus of Manchester in New Hampshire) has treated me very well. Lexus corporate has not.

I'm driving a 2006 GS300 AWD.
Ahh Lemon laws I wish we had that up in Canada. No such thing we just have to bend over here in Canada and let corporate do whatever they want. Test drove a 335 just the other day and the car handles very well but just didn't like the exterior that much but may still get one. I will wait for the second year to see how many people are having problems with the engine since BMW has produced turbo engines in awhile and that could me cooling problems and blown engines. Tried the IS350 also but I found it just a tad slow in throttle response could be the lack of torque. New C-Class seems nice also but still reeling with my experience with the E500.
Old 06-15-07, 11:05 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'06 GS was plagued with rattles, and this problem is not as sever with '07 models. I only get an occasional click/pop during the winter when temperature is in single digits and while only going over potholes or speed bumps. This is beyond minor to me. Some '07 models reported more severe rattles, but it’s not as bad or widespread as it was with '06. Someone should post a reminder at MB website they finished dead last at #36 in Consumer Report survey, while Lexus only dropped from #1 to #5 due to '06 GS rattles.

Car bashing at competitor websites are so typical I just visited AcuraZine site because of some conversation about RL price ($50k car with a full tech package being offered at $38k now - talk in ES350 forum section), and some RL guy bashing GS because of styling in favor of RL. He gave his the #1 reason why he chose RL over GS and other cars as "he liked RL comfy seat the most". That’s laughable , but whatever floats his boat

Quick Reply: JD Power IQS