GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Security

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 09:01 AM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Security

Hey. What's up ladies & gentlemen? I am new here. A quick couple of questions. What do u folks have on ur vehicles as far as security is concerned? Are u satisfied with the factory security & what are its features exactly as far as in protecting the vehicle? Is the factory system upgradeable? Would u install an aftermarket system, & how would it function with the existing factory system? Which aftermarket would one suggest? I hope this isn't too much to ask for? I appreciate any responses. Thanks
Old 06-13-07, 09:10 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try not to double post, and also try the "Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics" section. They should be able to provide better info.
Old 06-13-07, 06:09 PM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. But I went there first. That's how I came up with these specific questions. These were the ones that I found no information/insight on.
Old 06-13-07, 07:37 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

Factory Is Fine...with Me Anyways
Old 06-14-07, 09:15 AM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

How exactly does it work/protect?
Old 06-14-07, 09:19 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Why are you asking? Are you a perspective buyer?
Old 06-14-07, 11:28 AM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

Of course I plan to buy, or else why would I waste time with asking these questions? Don't worry. I am not trying to scope out the security system to jack anybody. Security is a big concern for me. I have seen plenty of vehicular thefts/break-ins in my time, and I would like to know how dependable the security system on this $50,000.00 car is? THAT'S WHY I AM ASKING.
Old 06-14-07, 11:40 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

As for me, I do not like factory alarms because it's very easy to bypass. Almost anyone can at least get the siren to stop working before it even goes off. I would purchase an aftermarket alarm system like Clifford and you can also add sound sensors that will go off when it hears medal tapping on the window and other noises if you like.
Old 06-14-07, 01:35 PM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for ur input
Old 06-14-07, 02:12 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I don't recall any owner who has upgraded the alarm system actually. I believe most of us feel that the fact that no physical key is required for ignition is safe enough. We also feel that the only way to steal the car would be to steal the key first; however, I'm sure that's not the case. As far as disabling the alarm, that should be easily by-passed. I don't know if there's a separate battery for the alarm system if it senses that the main battery is disconnected.
Old 06-14-07, 05:44 PM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

so would getting an aftermarket be advised, or will that destroy the functionality of the OEM? Especially with it being keyless.
Old 06-15-07, 11:05 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

IMHO the factory system and keyless start are ample security enough to prevent the car from being stolen. However, nothing is 100% (including aftermarket systems).

A good thief will get through anything, a bad one won't even try. Many of the alarms that go off due to noise or vibration have a lot 'false alarms' that owners start to turn off without really checking the car out and passers by just ignore because so many false alarms. If a factory alarm goes off, then you 'know' something is really going on (passers by will likely still ignore).

If you want extra protection against the car being stolen, I would suggest lo-jack. This will help the recovery of the car not prevention from being stolen. I also saw a special on television a few years back that suggested NOT to put any stickers on the car alerting thieves of what secutiy system you have. It just makes it easier for them to plan what to do to break in. Not as suffisticated thieves won't mess with a keyless start etc. system in the first place.
Old 06-15-07, 11:35 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1, very well said!!!

But, if that’s not enough, aftermarket is always available. For example, I have Viper remote start system which can be upgraded with anti-theft module. I chose not to because its not necessary. This is not a cheap car that can be hot wired by shorting wires around steering column Although, I remember someone posting here in the forum about thieves in EU where they have laptop with RF "key" and while standing next to your car they can run through every combination to break the encryption
Old 06-15-07, 11:44 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Although, I remember someone posting here in the forum about thieves in EU where they have laptop with RF "key" and while standing next to your car they can run through every combination to break the encryption
Wow, I'd want to watch a documentary on this if there were one.
Old 06-16-07, 11:05 AM
cabaret
Driver School Candidate

So u guys feel that the factory equipped anti-theft is sufficient enough? Although I do know that if anybody wants something bad enough, they will do whatever they have to to get it. Can u adjust the system to surrounding things like: attempted tow-aways, or glass tampering, sensitivity?

Quick Reply: Security