GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ventilated Seats: Does your seat blow cold air well?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07 | 05:37 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

It works really well on a cool day. Sometimes I would question myself if the seat heater or cooler does actually work.
JPI
Old 06-20-07 | 06:53 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

Man when I ride around with out pants on that ****** is awsome! otherwise nothing major...

Old 06-20-07 | 07:12 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Its just fans. So if its a hot day when you get in your car, its hot air being blown. Setting 3 is the one I use. anything less can't be felt. In shorts, you can feel air. And there is air from the back part of the seat. But I think its only the lower back. And if your back is flush against it, your not gonan feel air. Think about it. You put your back against a room fan. there is no air as it cant move air to make the breez that makes you feel cooler.
Old 06-20-07 | 07:26 PM
Syralex
Driver School Candidate

I think the benefit of ventilated seats is more from circulating cold air under the leather than from actually trying to create a cold air draft under your butt. As starstreak said, its not gonna be able to push that air past most of your fat asses Mine cools quite well, I keep it at 1 or 2 usually.
Old 06-20-07 | 07:50 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Lexus as do most manufacturers employs a thermoelectric cooling unit built into the seat. The yield is relatively low, but enough to keep the seats cool.

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
Old 06-20-07 | 08:11 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Syralex
its not gonna be able to push that air past most of your fat asses
Oh no you didn't.

Old 06-21-07 | 02:31 AM
fighter
Driver School Candidate

Works pretty well for me, especially with the hot weather from Hawaii. I have mine set on 2. Most of my passengers make it between 1 or 2.
Old 06-21-07 | 03:17 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I dont believe Lexus uses thermoelectric cooling. I think the only car I know that might is BMW, as they actually state it cools. I don't think Lexus states that. I think it says the seats are ventalated with fans? I have to go look now.
quote from LExus:
"Heated/Ventilated Front Seats
Standard on the GS, heated front seats are a feature both you and your passenger will find nothing short of extraordinary on a chilly day. Available ventilated seats are perfect during warmer weather since the seats can be cooled by fans that circulate air through the seat cushion."
Old 06-21-07 | 11:24 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Apparently, this technology has not gravitated to other Lexus cars. You are right startreak, the air passing through the GS seats is ambient cabin air. Amerigon holds the patent for Peltier cooling units, and they are currently only supplied for the following vehicles (Amerigon List):

Buick Lucerne
Cadillac DTS
Cadillac Escalade
Cadillac Escalade ESV
Cadillac Escalade EXT
Cadillac XLR
Ford Expedition
Hyundai Equus*
Infiniti M45/M35
Infiniti Q45
Lexus LS430 & LS460
Lincoln MKX
Lincoln MKZ
Lincoln Navigator
Nissan Cima*
Nissan Fuga*
Range Rover
Toyota Century

Good catch, Have a great (cool) day!

Last edited by Johnny; 06-21-07 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-21-07 | 11:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Burnaby
The "Peltier" effect thermoelectric cooling unit is equipped with a fan. The next time you are using your heater, try the cooling setting - it still cools the seat, doesn't it? How can that be? If the temperature was indeed controlled from the heater/air conditioner, your butt would get uncomfortably hot while the heater is on. But don't listen to me, nor misinterpret what you read in the literature you have, call your service department. They'll give you the facts. This is old news, by the way. Do a search in other forums.

Have a great (cool) day!
Doesn't only the LS430 / 460 have the Peltier cooling unit? I thought all other models do have heat but do not have active cooling dedicated to the seats other than the cabin AC that is pulled into them.

Edit - I see you corrected the information above.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-24-07 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-21-07 | 11:31 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CsKWarEd
Man when I ride around with out pants on that ****** is awsome! otherwise nothing major...

Are you serious? You must have dark tinted windows sir.
JPI
Old 06-21-07 | 11:33 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JPI
Are you serious? You must have dark tinted windows sir.
JPI
haha, without pants but probably wearing shorts I hope!

otherwise maybe there's nothing to be seen?

I keed, I keed!
Old 06-21-07 | 12:53 PM
NJSID
Driver

Mine suck! Nada...
Old 06-21-07 | 02:10 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Doesn't only the LS430 / 460 have the Peltier cooling unit? I thought all other models do have heat but do not have active cooling dedicated to the seats other than the cabin AC that is pulled into them.
a friend of mine had the LS and it did a great job of COOLING. This GS unit blows...no pun intended of course!
Old 06-21-07 | 02:57 PM
larrs
Driver

I think it helps quite a bit when the car has been baking in the sun. The seats cool off much more quickly than they otherwise would. Btw, I have the black interior.

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seats: Does your seat blow cold air well?