GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

garage door

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07 | 08:55 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default garage door

Cannot get opener to link with the car. I don't have a training button on the opener in the garage. Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-07 | 11:10 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that your garage motor is "Home Link" compatible.
You only need the training button if the remote uses "rolling codes".
The training button may be behind the cover where the bulbs are.
Old 06-26-07 | 02:46 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rolling code and I hit the training button as well, and neither of my 3 doors will link to the car. Works with the GX and even the landcruiser, but not my the GS450h.
bah.
Old 06-26-07 | 03:18 PM
hughh
Pole Position

In trying to get my GS350 to recognize my son's garage door opener, I discovered that the only way it would accept the rolling code was by driving my car inside his garage. Once there, it was a cinch.

While trying to get it to work with my car outside of his garage, it erased the codes from both his cars. They had to be reset in order to open the garage door.

Go to homelink.com and you will find a way to get it done.
Old 06-26-07 | 05:55 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hughh
In trying to get my GS350 to recognize my son's garage door opener, I discovered that the only way it would accept the rolling code was by driving my car inside his garage. Once there, it was a cinch.

While trying to get it to work with my car outside of his garage, it erased the codes from both his cars. They had to be reset in order to open the garage door.

Go to homelink.com and you will find a way to get it done.

Thank You.
Old 06-26-07 | 08:25 PM
klex
Driver School Candidate

u must have the hand held remote in order to get it work,go home depot buy one reprogram and put it away for future needed.that what this to my and it worked like a champ.
Old 06-27-07 | 07:52 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Yeah, I have a remote. I'll keep trying and call Homelink...

Thx to all.
Old 06-27-07 | 12:03 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by noncom23
Yeah, I have a remote. I'll keep trying and call Homelink...

Thx to all.
It will not work unless you are inside the garage, I know, I tried it.
Old 06-27-07 | 01:13 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I guess I didn't know the car had to be inside, I've always had the car inside cause then I can step on the rail while parked under the motor and hit the training button.
Old 06-27-07 | 01:34 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

It will not work unless you are inside the garage, I know, I tried it.
Thanks I'll try it.
Old 06-27-07 | 01:35 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I have had no problem setting up with my rolling code openers outside of my garage or my non-rolling code gate. If your opener does not have a learn button on it, it's probably not rolling code and you need to use your original remote to program the opener. Even if it is rolling code, you still need the original remote before doing the step with the "learn" button on the opener.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 06-27-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-27-07 | 02:39 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I have had no problem setting up with my rolling code openers outside of my garage or my non-rolling code gate. If your opener does not have a learn button on it, it's probably not rolling code and you need to use your original remote to program the opener. Even if it is rolling code, you still need the original remote before doing the step with the "learn" button on the opener.
I tried it with and without the original remote control. Only way it worked for me was by parking the car almost directly under the door opener. That's also the way my son programmed his wife's RX350 and his ACURA TL.

According to the GS350 manual, you need to hold the training button on the door opener. Press and release the vehicle's HomeLink button twice. The garage door may open. If not, press and release the button a third time. The third press and release will complete the programming process by opening the door. Page 3-7 of the manual.

Anyone with other suggestions, please come forward. It appears that some cars may need a different way of programming the buttons.

Last edited by hughh; 06-27-07 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-27-07 | 03:16 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

According to the GS350 manual, you need to hold the training button on the door opener. Press and release the vehicle's HomeLink button twice. The garage door may open. If not, press and release the button a third time. The third press and release will complete the programming process by opening the door. Page 3-7 of the manual.

Anyone with other suggestions, please come forward. It appears that some cars may need a different way of programming the buttons.
True. I have done that exact same procedure, and like I said, links to the GX links to the landcruiser, but not to the GS450h. Interesting.
I use the handheld opener...... so old school right?.... ha
Old 06-27-07 | 04:28 PM
Sumblad
Driver School Candidate

I had a bit of trouble programming mine. I was about 3 feet outside of my garage and perpendicular to it. I used the handheld remote opener and held it as the manual suggested within 3 inches of the mirror and held the 1 button down and then held down the opener button. It took it about 30 seconds for the light under the mirror to even start flashing, and then about 60 seconds after that it started flashing rapidly.

I suppose I should have followed the manual and put a new 9 volt battery in the remote, but the garage door sure was opening and closing throughout the whole ordeal.

Either way it works really well and the Lexus transmitter works from a lot farther away than the old remote, so I'm thankful for that!
Old 06-27-07 | 10:53 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I tried it with and without the original remote control. Only way it worked for me was by parking the car almost directly under the door opener. That's also the way my son programmed his wife's RX350 and his ACURA TL.

That doesn't sound right at all. I have had Homelink on all of my cars since 1997+ and I have always programmed with the following method.

1. Hold down the Homelink button that you want to program until it flashes at a slow rate.

2. Once it starts to flash, do not let go of the button and now hold down the button you wish to program on your handheld remote control unit. Use caution because the button will activate whatever it normally activates so make sure there is nothing under the garage door or anything. While holding both buttons, the homelink light will flash rapidly indicating that in-car programming is complete.

3. Go to the garage door opener motor housing and press the learn button briefly and the LED will start flashing indicating that it is in learning mode.

4. Go to the car and press the in-car Homelink button that you previously programmed. The light on the garage door opener should flash indicating that programming is completed.

Distance is not an issue at all so the car does not need to be in the garage to do this. The only reason for wanting the car close that I can think of is that you get a certain amount of time after pressing the learn button so if your car is way down the driveway, you might have to run to press the in-car homelink button.

I am on vacation right now so I can't tell you what the manual says but forget all of that and use the instructions above.

Quick Reply: garage door