GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rear power sunshade

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 03:10 PM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chocaholic
I agree with Timetoy. I use mine all the time as well. Hot and sunny in Georgia this time of year. Helps keep the heat down, even with tint. Worth looking in to...
I tend to agree with you.
Old 06-28-07, 06:23 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just increases the time it takes to heat up the interior of the car to the same temperature. i.e. it might be different temperature after half an hour of parking under the sun, but if you leave it there all afternoon, it'll reach the same interior temperature probably.

and yes it does keep the rear passenger out of direct sunlight. I think it's very useful if you have a baby seat in the rear since they face rear and the sunshade would block the baby from being exposed directly under the sun.
Old 06-28-07, 09:45 PM
jabbar2002
Rookie

hey its very useful, it just depends what u use it for, i use mines for when im at a red light. i keep it up so people cant see into my cabin and stare at me thru my rear view mirror. its like a stealth. lol
Old 06-28-07, 10:44 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree w/ the PP - i use it primarily for privacy or glare reduction. other than that, it stays down all the time. i have 35% tint and have never noticed any temp diff with or without the shade. this is for temps up to 95-100F. i have never felt enough of a difference.

i personally don't like the shade that much for daily driving. it's not as clear a view in the rearview when it's up, so i prefer to drive without it. but sometimes if the sun is blaring in directly behind you and/or you are driving in hours of nighttime traffic with lights behind you, it does help to keep you sane...

as for the retrofit, i doubt it's worth the cost. you are essentially paying for the nifty feature, because the truth is a dark tint on the rear window will give you the privacy and heat reduction you are looking for.
Old 06-29-07, 01:47 AM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use it during the day about 90% of the time and stow it for nighttime driving. My eyes tend to be very sensitive to sunlight and the rear shade really helps. Tinting the rear window is not a good solution IMO since it reduces your night vision and interferes with the adaptive light sensor.

Last edited by HotShotEng; 06-29-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-11-07, 10:45 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

maybe i'm missing the obvious, but how is this different from closing the blinds or curtains at home when the sun is out? isn't there a noticable difference in room temp? wouldn't this also apply to the interior of a car?
Old 07-11-07, 10:59 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
maybe i'm missing the obvious, but how is this different from closing the blinds or curtains at home when the sun is out? isn't there a noticable difference in room temp? wouldn't this also apply to the interior of a car?
theoretically it is the same, but the cabin is so much smaller that there is prob some sort of threshold where the car is just going to be hot no matter what, esp if it's 90 degrees out. plus don't forget there are the side windows and front windshield that sun will enter to warm the cabin so having one shade on the rear isn't going to help *that* much at some point... even with tinted windows and sunshade up, and white car and grey seats, 90 degrees out still makes for an extremely uncomfortable heat
Old 07-11-07, 03:31 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's always up, even at night.
Old 01-25-08, 04:39 PM
MaxMax256
Driver School Candidate

I have the Sun Shade in my car, but I have to wonder why Lexus didn't put sun shade's as an option on the read doors like the Volkswagon Phaeton, and a number of BMW and Mercedes has. It reminds me that they only did half of what they were trying to accomplish.
Old 01-25-08, 05:05 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

I agree having a rear quarter sun shade, even a manual one, would have been fantastic, specially when little ones are in the back. Anyone know a good after market rear door sun shade ?
Old 01-25-08, 08:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The hell with the temp in the car. I use mine for privacy as well. It also helps with the suv and pickkup headlights at night. Mostly though its for privacy and it gives the car a more luxurious feel.
Old 01-26-08, 12:48 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

That is weird, I am in TX and I have never once raise up the screen purposely for block the sun nor pravicy!!!

The only time I raise up and down the screen is when I am bored waiting for my wify in the vehicle. I know it is childish, but I get bored easily!!!
Old 01-26-08, 01:50 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slk_dds
That is weird, I am in TX and I have never once raise up the screen purposely for block the sun nor pravicy!!!

The only time I raise up and down the screen is when I am bored waiting for my wify in the vehicle. I know it is childish, but I get bored easily!!!
i have sunshades in all rear windows of my bmw and after i got tint i never used them again , unless i jsut want to wow someone that is sittin in the back seat.
Old 01-26-08, 02:01 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Din
i have sunshades in all rear windows of my bmw and after i got tint i never used them again , unless i jsut want to wow someone that is sittin in the back seat.
Now you mentioned, I noticed that GS in Taiwan also have sunshades in all rear windows too (maybe is because GS350 cost over $85k USD in Taiwan)!!!

I don't really know why we don't get these goodies here in the US, like remote up/down all windows and sunroof, sunshades in all rear windows, lighted door sill standard, and the option of not having "SHARK FIN" on top of our Lexus (I preferred shark fin in the soup instead)!!!
Old 01-26-08, 02:31 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

i thought u can roll all windows down including sunroof with the keyfob. jsut cant roll them up.

Quick Reply: rear power sunshade