GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

rear power sunshade

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 08:32 PM
klex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear power sunshade

can anyone help me how to and where to have my 07 gs with out sunsdhade to buy or installed oem one?thanks .
Old 06-27-07, 08:00 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klex
can anyone help me how to and where to have my 07 gs with out sunsdhade to buy or installed oem one?thanks .
I thought all 2007 GS350's had the sunshade...
Old 06-27-07, 08:09 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by noncom23
I thought all 2007 GS350's had the sunshade...
nope - depends on which region you are in - or more importantly, which region your car is configured for. Different regions have different package configurations and include certain options in one and not the other. For instance, if I bought my GS in OH (midwest region), to get NAV I'd also have to get the rear shade, auto wipers, heat/cool seats, spoiler and AFS lights. In PA (which is mid-atlantic or east coast region) the NAV only includes the NAV and spoiler bundled.

It all depends on how dealers in the region originally configured w/ Toyota how to bundle the options for their region.
Old 06-27-07, 10:33 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

I had no idea. Dealer try to help you with that?
Old 06-27-07, 11:25 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

This is something you are not going to want to have done....forget about it and get tint instead
Old 06-27-07, 12:23 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by klex
The rear sunshade on the 07 GS is about as useful as the fifth wheel! I have it and never use it. The way the GS is designed, it's extremely rare to have a combination of the sun and car positions that would result in the sun actually shining on the rear passengers. If you install it, all you'd be protecting from the sunshine is the rear shelf.
Old 06-27-07, 12:57 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Kali it is an absolutely mandatory feature, I got mine up at all time and it does make a difference in term of overall temperature in the cabin (that and a tint for sure).
Old 06-27-07, 01:12 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I love the rear power sunshade.

As for your question, I'd say forget about it, might be too costly.
Old 06-27-07, 01:13 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

I agree with Timetoy. I use mine all the time as well. Hot and sunny in Georgia this time of year. Helps keep the heat down, even with tint. Worth looking in to...
Old 06-27-07, 07:45 PM
klex
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys,but that is something i would love to have but when i purchased the car they didn't have much choices other then my color option.black pearl ,cash fully loaded but with out rear sunshade,well i still want it if club members have any hint please pointed out,love to hears some mores from you all.thanks.
Old 06-28-07, 07:40 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chocaholic
I agree with Timetoy. I use mine all the time as well. Hot and sunny in Georgia this time of year. Helps keep the heat down, even with tint. Worth looking in to...
You are imagining that it make any difference to the temperature inside the car. It's a black shade on the inside of the car. It has no reflective capabilities, so it absorbs as much heat inside your car as the rear shelf would without the shade.
Old 06-28-07, 08:00 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

You could say the very same about dark window tint. It's inside your car too!

In any case, perception is everything. And I perceive a difference.
Old 06-28-07, 11:44 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chocaholic
You could say the very same about dark window tint. It's inside your car too!
Not really, no. The tint essentially becomes a part of the glass, and transfers the heat from the sun to the outside air. Not so with the sun shade that does not touch the glass. It is there only to protect passengers from sun light. I'm happy for you that you think it helps keep the car cooler, but it is simply not the reality. The reason that's important is that because the original poster is deciding whether to spend hundreds of dollars to retrofit his car with this shade. I repeat my original recommendation: save your money, the rear shade on the GS is essentially useless.
Old 06-28-07, 11:45 AM
tuthman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Modeler
You are imagining that it make any difference to the temperature inside the car. It's a black shade on the inside of the car. It has no reflective capabilities, so it absorbs as much heat inside your car as the rear shelf would without the shade.
The shade blocks some of the sun's rays from coming in right? Its the sun light that serves to warm up the interior, right? If I hung a black curtain in the rear window, the curtain would be hot, but the area behind it would not be as hot as if the sun was directly shining on it.

Am I thinking logically?

So, I think the shade blocks maybe like 50% of the sun light from entering. This would in theory reduce the heat slightly.

I live in Phoenix, so when its 110 outside, like today, it doesn't do too much that I can tell, but then going from very, very hot to only very hot is slightly harder to calculate.
Old 06-28-07, 11:53 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuthman
The shade blocks some of the sun's rays from coming in right? Its the sun light that serves to warm up the interior, right? If I hung a black curtain in the rear window, the curtain would be hot, but the area behind it would not be as hot as if the sun was directly shining on it.

Am I thinking logically?

So, I think the shade blocks maybe like 50% of the sun light from entering. This would in theory reduce the heat slightly.
It would lower the temperature of the rear shelf under the curtain, but the curtain itself will be hot, and would make the air inside the car just as hot as when it's not there. So as far as the air temperature inside the car, it's a zero-sum game. Either you get the curtain or the rear shelf hot. If you have objects that you don't want to get hot lying on the rear shelf, then by all means the shade will help keep them cooler. But it will not have any noticeable effect on the temperature of the air or the seats inside the car.

Quick Reply: rear power sunshade