GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 07:49 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The glass company said its the exact same windshield as lexus but without the lexus logo on the corner. same rain sensing windshield as the lexus. I'm still waiting on a callback from my insurance company.
Old 07-09-07, 07:58 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an aftermarket windshield and the rattling is pretty bad.
Old 07-09-07, 08:52 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
The glass company said its the exact same windshield as lexus but without the lexus logo on the corner. same rain sensing windshield as the lexus. I'm still waiting on a callback from my insurance company.
Don't take the glass companies word go to your lexus dealer and see if they know if there is any difference between the glass you are getting and the lexus glass. If they say there is than get them to write you up a letter to your insurance or get them to call your insurance person and explain it to them.
Old 07-09-07, 10:10 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

they said the insurance company wont cover it. I would need to pay for the difference for the $1500 for the lexus branded glass. WTF. I thought my insure will do any glass as long as I pay the deductable..
Hmm. whos your carrier? Insurance pays for coverages per your contractual agreement with them. If their policy states they use aftermarket parts (specified parts) they have a right to do so as you agreed to their policy coverages.
Old 07-10-07, 11:14 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well I called Lexus to find out again what would happen. Per lexus, they are now saying since the original windshield is being replaced, any brand wont matter for warrenty as the warrenty only covers original installed equiptment. And it turns out they use the same glass installer as my insurance to install the their replacement glasses. So I might as well put in the generic glass then.
Old 07-11-07, 07:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well I called Lexus to find out again what would happen. Per lexus, they are now saying since the original windshield is being replaced, any brand wont matter for warrenty as the warrenty only covers original installed equiptment. And it turns out they use the same glass installer as my insurance to install the their replacement glasses. So I might as well put in the generic glass then.
Hmm and knowing is half the battle. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 07-12-07, 01:53 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Never easy. Supposed to have windshield replaced yesterday. The glass installer calls an hour before he's supposed to come. Tells me when they took the glass out of storage, it was warped or something. Calls me an hour later to tell me he can't get another glass, but he got Lexus to give him the last one they had.
So.. It gets installed today (Thursday) if nothing else breaks. And it turns out I may (I think) get a Lexus glass only because theirs was faulty.
Old 07-12-07, 11:52 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yay. They came early. It was OEM glass. I spoke with the window installer. He said alot of new cars come with think front windshields. Mostly to cut cost and weight. He said he replaces alot of Lexus's windshields for that reason. He said, he thuoght the nick was minor, but once a crack forms its super easy for it to spread in these molded windshields. Took them about hour or so to do it. Trust me, dont watch. It looks worse than it really is. You'll be surprised how much epoxy (looked like that to me) is spread around the windshield.
Old 07-13-07, 08:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The install is very simple. It just looks bad when they take remove the mouldings and insert the blade to cut. It's not epoxy that they use, but actually a black urethane adhesive. Did your installer use a power-type adhesive gun? That's to ensure an even bead and reduce the chances of leakage.
Old 07-13-07, 12:00 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I thought it was funny that the gun was battery powered. And here I thought it was to save his hands from pressing the trigger.