GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dealing with the Advan Tire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 02:21 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dealing with the Advan Tire Issue

I like so many others on this forum who have Yokohama Advan A10B tires, I decided to do something about getting Lexus to replace them. No luck with my local dealership. They basically stone-walled my inquiry into helping me deal with the issue. So I took my case directly to Corporate. I received a call from Corporate and they suggested I set up an appointment with my local dealer to evaluate the situation. I made it quite clear to Lexus Corporate that this tire has no business being on a $60,000 car. That the ride is harsh and the tires are noisy and have a short life span. I told them if I wanted a car that rides like my Lexus rides on these tires, I would have bought a Ford not a $60,000 luxury car. My question to those of you who have successfully had Lexus change the tires is how did you approach this issue. Did you get the dealership to haggle with Lexus Corporate or did you get Lexus Corporate to tell the dealer to replace them? Any suggestions or strategies would be appreciated. (one ticked-off Lexus owner)
Old 07-07-07, 04:08 PM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same exact issue. I have a call into corporate and they told me same thing. I had dealer evaluate with my 5K service. They even said that they saw some "feathering" on my tires. I called corporate back and they said that the tires are under a separate warranty and to take it up with Yokohama. I own two lexus and can't believe the tire noise that I am hearing after 5k miles. this is a joke. I've read on this forum where some other owners have had some luck with getting new Michelin tires free through dealer/corporate but I didn't have any luck.
Old 07-07-07, 05:45 PM
lexus4dfw
Rookie

I am one of the lucky ones I guess. Took my 350 in 2 weeks ago for the intial service (3400mi) on it, mentioned to the S/A about the Yokos starting to howl, mostly when slowing down @ 20mph to stop. He said they would test drive and let me know. They called that afternoon and said that they had a call into the district manager and would call back when they had more info. I again mentioned how noisy they were starting to become and that a few members here had them replaced by Lexus. Next day they called and said they were replacing all 4 with Michelin PS2 and a 4 wheel alignment at NO CHARGE!! My dealer was fantastic and never threw out the "talk to Yoko" line. Their service dept is a 15!!
Old 07-07-07, 05:56 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus4dfw
I am one of the lucky ones I guess. Took my 350 in 2 weeks ago for the intial service (3400mi) on it, mentioned to the S/A about the Yokos starting to howl, mostly when slowing down @ 20mph to stop. He said they would test drive and let me know. They called that afternoon and said that they had a call into the district manager and would call back when they had more info. I again mentioned how noisy they were starting to become and that a few members here had them replaced by Lexus. Next day they called and said they were replacing all 4 with Michelin PS2 and a 4 wheel alignment at NO CHARGE!! My dealer was fantastic and never threw out the "talk to Yoko" line. Their service dept is a 15!!
would you please provide the dealer you went to?
Old 07-07-07, 05:57 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Question Location?

Originally Posted by lexus4dfw
Where is your dealer located?
Old 07-07-07, 09:24 PM
lexus4dfw
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
would you please provide the dealer you went to?

Lexus of Riverside.
Old 07-07-07, 10:12 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oi, I'm just waiting for my Yoko's to hit 5,000 miles and be super noisy :/
Old 07-08-07, 12:22 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Wait till they hit 15k miles and start howling like a lifted 4x4 with mud boggers! The worst part is that they look like they could last another 15k miles so I may end up tossing perfectly good tires.
Old 07-08-07, 05:20 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Exactly what I did. The difference made it all worth it though. It's only money.

Did I say that?
Old 07-08-07, 05:51 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Maybe I'll just turn up the music when I drive >_<

Can you still hear it with music on?
Old 07-08-07, 06:37 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Mine also developed an annoying vibration when decelerating from freeway speeds. Turning up the music won't help. Sorry.
Old 07-08-07, 06:59 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Mine also developed an annoying vibration when decelerating from freeway speeds. Turning up the music won't help. Sorry.
!!!

guess I'll join you guys soon.

So what's a good quiet all season tire?
Old 07-09-07, 12:39 AM
vandit23
Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Wait till they hit 15k miles and start howling like a lifted 4x4 with mud boggers! The worst part is that they look like they could last another 15k miles so I may end up tossing perfectly good tires.
You got that right...My car is surrently in for the 15k service, and quieting the interior rattles and noises...I mentioned that the tires sucked and were loud...The service rep agreed completely, and even mentioned that others have complained. I asked if he could do anything for me, and he just told me that he would check with his manager, and see what he could do...I am willing to prorate the tires and get new ones put on. He mentioned the Michelin Pilot A/S. Do you think I should go for these, or the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions?? I am deciding between the two of these tires...Any experiences?

Also, can the dealer change the tires to whatever I want, or are they set on certain brands?
Old 07-09-07, 01:52 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

If you get it taken care of, PM me the name of your dealership so I can do the same.
Old 07-09-07, 06:43 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yang1815
!!!

guess I'll join you guys soon.

So what's a good quiet all season tire?
Michelin Pilots?

Quick Reply: Dealing with the Advan Tire Issue