GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS headlight aim very poor

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 08:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2006 GS headlight aim very poor

I know quite some people are complaining of this problem that the GS headlights are bright but they are aimed at only 20-30 feet approx ahead. However, the lights just aim straight down to the ground with no lights at least 1-2 feet above the ground like other sedans with HID lights, so you can;t see anything beyond where the sharp HID lights end. The dynamic auto leveling standard on this model does not at all aim upwards when I am going down a hill, limiting my view ahead, so whats the purpose of this system. The lights bounces up a bit when I brake though.

Second of all, most ppl are getting responses like me from our dealers that the lights are to spec and nothing can be done about it. My dealer mentioned that the mechanic can adjust it for 45 dollars since its not a within spec repair.

Third of all, this is a serious defect, I think? with most GS sedans that the factory spec is wrong. I mean we can adjust it ourselves but why can't lexus understand the consumer complaints and bring a TSB or something.

FInally, I discuss with my service manager and the mechanic who works on the GS that we will open a case about this problem next Wednesday and send it to corporate.

Can all of you owners please please write down your opinion of the headlight aim and compare them to the other cars you have (Lexus (would be great) or non-lexuses with HID headlights in terms of how far their light aim. I know most cars now have very strong hID lights but still aim far. Tell me if you had a dealer adjust it or did yourself. If you had dealer adjust it, did they charge you? I want to garner some opinions and feed back to help bring my case to help Lexus improve and correct this issue thats all. So that we can release a TSB in the future.

Again, PLease help me and others! Thanks!

Tej

Last edited by Rexus300; 07-13-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-14-07, 09:40 AM
ttran076
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my headlights were off, I just told my dealership and they re-adjusted them for free. But if your dealer is charging you, you can do it yourself. the adjusting **** is a little bit hard to find. As long as you have a flat surface you can do it yourself.
Old 07-14-07, 01:49 PM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Can all of you owners please please write down your opinion of the headlight aim and compare them to the other cars you have (Lexus (would be great) or non-lexuses with HID headlights in terms of how far their light aim. I know most cars now have very strong hID lights but still aim far. Tell me if you had a dealer adjust it or did yourself. If you had dealer adjust it, did they charge you? I want to garner some opinions and feed back to help bring my case to help Lexus improve and correct this issue thats all. So that we can release a TSB in the future.

Again, PLease help me and others! Thanks!

Tej
I decided to take the path of least resistance. When I took my car in for my 5k oil change (now using Mobile1 syn) I told the service manager that the low beams setting was so low that it not only negated the idea by Lexus of providing a superior HID lighting system for safer driving, but that I considered it a safety hazard for me the Lexus driver. I asked him what was more important, my ability to see far enough ahead to avoid running into something or the possible inconvenience my beams would impose on other drivers. I also said if Lexus was so concerned about other drivers then why did they bother to install HID low beams in the first place. He thought about it for a second or two and then said he would have the service people readjust the beams. Now I can see were I'm going at speeds exceeding 30 MPH. The difference in beam projection down the road is like night and day compared to the original setup. Now I feel a lot safer driving at night and have good illumination at freeway speeds. Also, noticed an increase in peripheral (side) illumination especially on the passenger (curb) side.

If they will not adjust the headlights for you see this thread on how-to-do-it yourself: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220404

Good luck
Old 07-14-07, 01:54 PM
Krowbar
Driver School Candidate

This just happened to me last night! I was driving in an area with no streetlights and could barely see the road so I had to switch to the high beam. In the past I had driven down that same road many times in my Toyota Solara and never had a problem with the lights.

So I thought maybe my lights needed adjusting...now I see this post on Club Lexus. Guess I'll get it adjusted at the 5K service.
Old 07-15-07, 12:29 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive on country roads a lot but seriously, the high-beams don't do that much... The HID low beams are so bright that I can barely tell if my high beams are on or not.

I gotta get it adjusted too...
Old 07-15-07, 07:56 PM
nterface
Driver School Candidate

Agree...I got tired of scary night driving experiences related to this issue, so I adjusted them myself. Its amazing; I see so much more of the road and I don't recall being brighted once since making the change.
Old 07-15-07, 09:27 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, the night visibility is ridiculous compared to my wife Mercedes, I remember years ago I had procedure to fine tune headlights involving measuring the distance from the car to a wall and looking at the lights pattern on said wall; Anyone know such procedure ?
Old 07-15-07, 11:30 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the link, im going to adjust mine this weekend.
Old 07-16-07, 10:32 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE!

The dealer will receive my case answer from the corporate this Wednesday to all the dealer to change the current factory specs of the light adjustment to allow more further aim. I will keep all of you posted on this matter. I will not adjust them myself until I see how the dealer will do it.

Anyone else have opinion about their lights and how the aim is limited. I hate the way the auto leveling bounces the light towards the car by 2-4 feet when going down a hill just to avoid blinding the other driver, such BS.