GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How do you launch the 350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 08:44 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I will NOT race my toy till after its break-in period. I have done oil change in 2,000 miles, 4,000 miles (Semi-Synthetic), and 6,000 miles (Full-Synthetic Mobil 1). Just to get raid off the fine metals flowing in the engine.

IMO, to make your GS more responsive (After 6,000 miles), I drive it in higher RPM 4,000-5,500. So the engine would be accustom to the stree from running at high RPM.

From my experience with my GS, after 7,000 miles, it actually drives more responsive, and quicker.

To proof my point, last weekend I was messing with my friend with IS350. We gunned at the green light, to my surprise, our toys were dead even nose to nose all the way up to 70MPH. So I believe, once it is break-in, it would be quicker than when is new.
Old 07-25-07, 08:48 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hold the TRAC button down until both TRAC and VSC light are on. That will turn off TRAC/VSC simultaneously.
What is the diff between TRAC and VSC ???? Is this new for the 350 vs 06 300 ?
Old 07-25-07, 09:07 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slk_dds
To proof my point, last weekend I was messing with my friend with IS350. We gunned at the green light, to my surprise, our toys were dead even nose to nose all the way up to 70MPH. So I believe, once it is break-in, it would be quicker than when is new.
O wow that's impressive!
Old 07-25-07, 10:59 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

I only have like 1200 miles on my GS. Are you saying it's still not broken in enough yet? Damn.. it will take me like 5 yrs to get 7000
Old 07-25-07, 12:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
What is the diff between TRAC and VSC ???? Is this new for the 350 vs 06 300 ?
VSC - Vehicle Skid Control - with traction control, an electronic system that controls engine output and brake application on individual wheels to help control loss of traction in turns.

TRAC - Traction Control System - electronic traction control system uses both throttle and brake intervention to help control rear wheelspin.

VDIM - Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (GS430/450h Only) - is a system which integrates braking (ABS and BA = brake assist), steering (variable gear ratio steering = VGRS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [and Traction Control (TRAC) systems to help minimize loss of traction in a turn.

VSC/TRAC disable
2006 - Pedal Dance -
2007 and Newer - Hold down TRAC button - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=vsc+trac

Here's a really old but good thread for the 2nd Gen IS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260753

Here's the old thread I referenced:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...64&postcount=2

Vehicle Skid Control = with traction control, an electronic system that controls engine output and brake application on individual wheels to help control loss of traction in turns.

TRAC = electronic traction control system uses both throttle and brake intervention to help control rear wheelspin.

VDIM = is a system which integrates braking (ABS and BA = brake assist), steering (variable gear ratio steering = VGRS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [and Traction Control (TRAC) systems to help minimize loss of traction in a turn.

Here are some good descriptions and demo clips of how VSC and TRAC is seamlessly controlled by VDIM:

http://www.lexus-europe.com/technolo....asp?model=All
http://www.lexus.com/models/is/demo_.../vdimDemo.html

Here's an older article from The Auto Channel:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...14/125451.html

As for the pedal dance, it allows you to disable both TRAC and VSC simultaneously which in essence will allow you to spin your tires as needed. The pedal dance for the TRAC/VSC disable is not to be confused with calling it a "VDIM OFF" sequence. Since the pedal dance will work with most modern Toyota and Lexus vehicles i.e. Avalon, IS250/250AWD, GS300/GS300AWD, these vehicles listed do not have VDIM. The only vehicles that have VDIM in the lineup are the Toyota Highlander & Camry Hybrid versions, Lexus RX400h, GS450h, GS430 and IS350 only.
Old 11-30-07, 09:48 AM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Putting the car in ECT PWR does not help improve your 0-60 times. All it does is allow for a more responsive throttle feel and downshift/upshift quickness. It helps hold each gear longer in full throttle acceleration.
This confuses me. If you are able to hold the gears longer under WOT when using ECT PWR, then why wouldn't that translate into higher 0-60 times?
Old 11-30-07, 10:59 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Lexus doesn't have 'sport' mode like BMW...
Putting your gear in "S" just turns on the manual shifting!
You gotta turn on ETC button for more sporty shifting...
Old 11-30-07, 12:06 PM
safricags
Pole Position

i find 'shifting with the stick' in pwr mode is the best, seems to shift faster and you can keep it in the power band for longer. i keep my traction on as i dont want wheel spin.

although... if its a quiet road with a long stop light, you can always turn off trac control completely and do a kwik burnout to warm the tyres, most of the competition cr@ps thenselves lol
Old 11-30-07, 12:11 PM
safricags
Pole Position

Default agree

Originally Posted by slk_dds
First of all, I will NOT race my toy till after its break-in period. I have done oil change in 2,000 miles, 4,000 miles (Semi-Synthetic), and 6,000 miles (Full-Synthetic Mobil 1). Just to get raid off the fine metals flowing in the engine.

IMO, to make your GS more responsive (After 6,000 miles), I drive it in higher RPM 4,000-5,500. So the engine would be accustom to the stree from running at high RPM.

From my experience with my GS, after 7,000 miles, it actually drives more responsive, and quicker.

too true, my car has about that mileage, i just changed to full synthetic oil and changed the coolant type (which has dropped my temp by about 10%)
and she feels and sounds (thanx fujita) like an animal.

this car just makes me smile
Old 11-30-07, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

bottom line, i think if the pwr button actually increase the speed to upshift / downshift (as flipside posted), then it WILL help the 0-60 speed, since you do have to shift at least once.

i don't know about the 3gs, but on the 2gs, the pwr mode just help to hold the rpm higher and change the throttle in general a bit. so that does NOT help 0-60, since if you are going full WOT already anyway, the pwr doesn't help anything.

so i guess the key is, does pwr button decrease the shift speed? if so, then it should help 0-60
Old 11-30-07, 12:14 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bozer
I only have like 1200 miles on my GS. Are you saying it's still not broken in enough yet? Damn.. it will take me like 5 yrs to get 7000
lol holy snaps.........it must not b ur daily driver then?
Old 11-30-07, 12:27 PM
Dodge2Dub
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
bottom line, i think if the pwr button actually increase the speed to upshift / downshift (as flipside posted), then it WILL help the 0-60 speed, since you do have to shift at least once.

i don't know about the 3gs, but on the 2gs, the pwr mode just help to hold the rpm higher and change the throttle in general a bit. so that does NOT help 0-60, since if you are going full WOT already anyway, the pwr doesn't help anything.

so i guess the key is, does pwr button decrease the shift speed? if so, then it should help 0-60
Where is peak HP on the powerband? If it's later in the RPM range, then the 0-60 time will be quicker using the ECT button. If it's early in the RPM range, then the ECT button will actually cause you to run slower.
Old 11-30-07, 12:36 PM
illtech
Rookie

I have the 2006 300 awd and don't have the trac button.thought you did'nt have that option if you have the awd version..is this correct??
Old 11-30-07, 02:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub
Where is peak HP on the powerband? If it's later in the RPM range, then the 0-60 time will be quicker using the ECT button. If it's early in the RPM range, then the ECT button will actually cause you to run slower.
when you are at full WOT (press all the way in), the car shifts at red line anyway, doesn't matter
Old 11-30-07, 02:28 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by illtech
I have the 2006 300 awd and don't have the trac button.thought you did'nt have that option if you have the awd version..is this correct??
No, 350awd has TRAC and VSC

Quick Reply: How do you launch the 350?