GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Had my tire noise issue looked at today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 06:16 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had my tire noise issue looked at today.

Had my dealership look at my tires today and they offered me a couple of choices. Basically, I have 16k miles on the car and I have only had the car a little over 9 months. They said that I have 6/32 left on the tread so they probably won't last much longer (at least that's what they said). IMO, I have at least 10k left on these but that's not a big deal. They offered me some new tires at cost but no pro-rating. Roughly $1200-1400 mounted and balanced before the "at-cost" discount which is TBD once I choose tires.

My choices are Dunlop SP2020s, SP5000s, Bridestone Runflats and some Dunlop Runflats. I'm sure that I can get a couple more choices but I'm wondering if runflats are really as terrible as people say they are? Is this an option worth pursuing or should I just go with Bridgestone RE960ASs? I can get the Bridgestones for about $800 out the door at a local tire shop.
Old 07-23-07, 11:13 PM
ck106
Driver School Candidate

I just changed my Dunlop runflat to Pirelli PZero Nero M&S two days ago. much batter rid not as bumpy as runflat. I was thinking about between Pirelli and Bridgestone RE960ASs. after I read "all" the reviews at tirerack.com for these two. Finally, I go with Pirelli(if you read it until in the end of few reviews). if you have spare tire, just go with standard tires.
Old 07-24-07, 02:05 AM
vandit23
Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Had my dealership look at my tires today and they offered me a couple of choices. Basically, I have 16k miles on the car and I have only had the car a little over 9 months. They said that I have 6/32 left on the tread so they probably won't last much longer (at least that's what they said). IMO, I have at least 10k left on these but that's not a big deal. They offered me some new tires at cost but no pro-rating. Roughly $1200-1400 mounted and balanced before the "at-cost" discount which is TBD once I choose tires.

My choices are Dunlop SP2020s, SP5000s, Bridestone Runflats and some Dunlop Runflats. I'm sure that I can get a couple more choices but I'm wondering if runflats are really as terrible as people say they are? Is this an option worth pursuing or should I just go with Bridgestone RE960ASs? I can get the Bridgestones for about $800 out the door at a local tire shop.
DUDE!!! Where is this shop??? I am there...That is pretty low for the tires...Also, does this shop know how to deal with the TPMS on our cars???

I am getting a call from Lexus dealership tomorrow, and they are going to give me an answer regarding the tires, AND the rattle issues in the car...The service manager said that he contacted Lexus corp to see if they can come down and take care of the rattles...We'll see how that goes...

But, can you please share the info on this shop? Who to talk to, and so forth...Thanks.
Old 07-24-07, 04:46 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi Robert,

Runflats are not as bad as I expected them to be, but frankly, the only reason I kept our original set on the factory 17" wheels is to use them in the winter, in case my wife can drive home if she gets a flat when it is 10 degrees outside (not an issue for you in CA ). Other than that, the ride is indeed bumpy, and the premium you pay for runflat capability is a bit much, so I would pass if I were you.

The ride of the Bridgestones on the factory 18s is worlds apart from that with the runflats. The reviews on Tirerack were amazing, plus kuch123 recommended them highly, so I tried them and have no regrets. I have also read great things about the Pirellis, with the only negative comment being about tread life, but I have no personal experience with them.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-07, 10:19 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I am very happy to have switched out the runflats. I only had about 500 miles on the car when I did. I have a donut spare, though.
Old 07-24-07, 10:27 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Roberto, I would like to offer some advice on your questions.
Yes runflats are as bad as you have heard they are...
But honestly, Peerless tire, I don't know if you have them around, but they offered me a 30K mile warranty on my PS2's as well as a lower price than the (cost) that my lexus dealership offered me.

Now I would personally have ONLY lexus balance and rotate and install the tires on cars like ours, but I would personally buy my tires elsewwherre.

When my current PS2's run out, I am not sure of the next tire I will purchase, but I have had GREAT GREAT results from the PS2's.

MY next tire, I will be purchasing at PEERLESS, n o questions asked, then I will take them to Lexus and have them install, fill with nitrogen, balance and be happy.

I am not sure, b/c I can't speak from experience with the tires you questioned.... just know that my ps2's are the best tire I have ever had.

J
Old 07-24-07, 04:41 PM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

What tires do you have now? I have a running complaint going with Lexus corporate about the Advans. I believe lexus should replace these inferior tires.
Old 07-25-07, 08:25 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Talk to your service advisor and the service manager about the issue you are having with the A10B. At Sewell, after the 2nd complaint, they replaced my A10B with PS2...FREE OF CHARGE!!!
Old 03-26-08, 08:56 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7

Now I would personally have ONLY lexus balance and rotate and install the tires on cars like ours, but I would personally buy my tires elsewwherre.

J
Lexus has no idea how to remove a tire from a rim..
Old 03-26-08, 09:47 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ck106
I just changed my Dunlop runflat to Pirelli PZero Nero M&S two days ago. much batter rid not as bumpy as runflat. I was thinking about between Pirelli and Bridgestone RE960ASs. after I read "all" the reviews at tirerack.com for these two. Finally, I go with Pirelli(if you read it until in the end of few reviews). if you have spare tire, just go with standard tires.
What's your opinion of the Pirellis now that you have them on? I was thinking about switching to the PZeros from Michelin Pilots on my S4 until I read that they were strictly summer tyres. I'm still interested in the PZeros, but hesitant.
Old 03-26-08, 09:49 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely go with the Bridgestones
Old 03-26-08, 11:16 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Holy thread revival Batman! This is from July 07! I ended up getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and it's the best decision I have ever made. Probably the most expensive tires you can get for the GS but after 12k miles they are still quiet and perfectly smooth with great grip and excellent tire wear.
Old 03-26-08, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of course, the ps2 is probably one of the best tires you can get for the money. super nice grip and very soft and quiet. amazing tires.
Old 03-26-08, 12:15 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

Default My runflats are great!

I, too, was dreading the runflats, but they are extremely quiet and the ride is exceptionally smooth. Maybe that will change as the tires age, but in the meantime I am extremely happy with them.
Old 03-26-08, 12:46 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Holy thread revival Batman! This is from July 07! I ended up getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and it's the best decision I have ever made. Probably the most expensive tires you can get for the GS but after 12k miles they are still quiet and perfectly smooth with great grip and excellent tire wear.

Toothfixer, What happend with your rims?

Quick Reply: Had my tire noise issue looked at today.