GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problems mentioned here scaring me away...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 03:45 PM
ocean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems mentioned here scaring me away...

I'm doing research on the 2007 GS. I have to say, the problems that you
guys keep bringing up is having an effect on me. I thought the GS was a
wonderful reliable car until I came here.

There are a lot of msgs on noise problems and tire problems. How big
are these problems really? Are a vocal minority just making a lot of noise
here while the vast majority (95%) have no problems? It's hard to tell.

I need to buy a new car. I'm doing research on GS, RX, and also the
BMW 5 series, and Mercedes E class. The problems on BMW and MB seems
a lot worse than Lexus.

So are you guys happy with your GS even if you have the noise problems?

Consumer Reports gave a not so flattering review of the GS 350.

ocean
Old 07-24-07, 03:50 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

first off, you live in CA, you won't have noise problems. The noise interior cabin noises come from the dash windshield rubbing together, but only at colder temps.
Mine was fixed last winter and never a problem after..
The tire issue, well those are tire issues, NOT CAR issues.
Runflats on ANY CAR IN THE WORLD will be noisier than ANY CAR IN THE WORLD with non run flats.
Just replace your tires, what's the big deal?

The GS is a wonderful car. I have the 450h and love it.
I had the 550i and chose to get rid of one.. I chose to kick the 550i to the curb.
Not becuase of price, my GS was actually more $$$ than the 550i, it was b/c of reliability.
The GS is a far more reliable car than most on the road... just lexus in general/toyota. The other german cars, well their reliability is terrible and customer service is sub par.

GS is a wonderful car... Don't be so afraid.
Old 07-24-07, 04:29 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

There are only 2 problems that are reported by GS owners with some frequency.

1. The dash rattle at the upper right corner. It only occurs with colder weather and I do have it even though I live in CA. I think there was a pretty good solution offered by one of the CL members but I have been too lazy to bother with it. IMO not enough of an issue to scare me away from the car.

2. The tire noise issue which as Jason stated, is not really a car issue. The only way to blame the car for that one is to say that it's too quiet so any amount of tire noise becomes obnoxious. New tires = end of story. Another option is to spec out different tires when you order the car. Let your dealership know that you want Michelin PS2s or Michelin Primacy HPs.

The thing you should really focus your decision on is the seat of the pants feel and features. The MB and BMW are good alternatives but both are very different cars compared to the GS. German cars exhibit a very heavy solid feel and Japanese cars exhibit a very light feel that makes them effortless to drive. Having owned MBs and BMWs, I can say that although the GS is feature packed and appears to have it all, it comes up a little short in a few areas. It's like they threw in everything but the kitchen sink but executed everything to 85% of it's potential. BMW and MB may not include or even offer every feature but they go all the way with each. A few examples....

Heated seats - not hot enough in the GS but you can fry your buns in a German car.

Cooled seats - blow a little air but not enough to be noticable and none in the seatback. German cars - veritable tornado behind your back so you are always cool.

Interior lighting - everything is lit in a German car. Overhead buttons, switches, steering wheel controls, even all of the adjustment ***** for the air vents. GS - none of the overhead buttons are lit, steering wheel buttons are dim, air vents have no lighting.

Power seats - BMW/MB have full electric headrests. GS has mechanical automatic headrests. They are not electric and can not be moved at will, they just mechanically travel with seat fore/aft movement.

You should kind of get the idea. There are definitely some areas where cost cutting is obvious but Lexus at least tried to include every feature imaginable. They just didn't execute them perfectly.

That said, the GS is a great car and probably the best car I have ever owned. It is my absolute favorite car to drive and if you look at my sig, I have some decent choices. If I have to drive to the store to pick up some milk, I pick up the GS keys. If I have to drive 3 hours out of town, I pick up the GS keys. Moral of the story is.... don't compare feature for feature, or apples to apples. Just drive it and if it fits the bill..... Get it!
Old 07-24-07, 04:33 PM
micnic
Driver School Candidate

The Advan tires should never be put on this price of car. Get the Michelin tires as a condition of purchase. I have no issues with the car itself.
Old 07-24-07, 04:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please be aware that most problems mentioned on the Forums are "condensed." Such problems are not as widespread as they seem.

And most problems have been taken care of with simple solutions, in which you will also find on the Forums.
Old 07-24-07, 04:38 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I also have the GS350 AWD and while it is not a perfect car, if I was going car shopping it would be the one I'd still choose! I have about 10,000 miles and have owned it for 7 months. I think I may have the windshield Creak, but won't know for sure until the cold weather sets in. RIght now in warm weather, the car is dead silent. I put regular Michelins on the car when I bought it, so I don't have a tire problem.

I got the Brakes replaced to minimize the brake dust, so I'm good to go. - I will say that my 1999 GS300 had a more solid feel and I liked the interior leather better, but the high-tech gadgetry on the 2007 GS trumps the 1999. So, I do love the 07 GS350 and it would still be the car I'd buy today.
Old 07-24-07, 08:42 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Thumbs up Overall-A Great Car

If you check out any forum you would think every car, motorcycle, TV, computer (and the list goes on) is plagued with problems. Unfortunately there are not a lot of people that vocalize how happy they are on these forums. I'm here to tell you the GS is a great car. Our 2003 BMW 530i had quite a few issues during the 4 years we owned it. Talk about squeaks and rattles. The dealer was terrible. I ended up fixing most of them myself. The car was in the shop quite a few times and before we sold it several new issues were starting to pop up. From what I hear Lexus service and reliability is way better than BMW. The factory tires on the BMW were noisy as hell and had to be replaced before they were even 1/2 worn out. These Yokos on our Lexus are a noisy tread design and I know they will get worse with wear. Every new GS with 18's we looked at had them. I'll rotate them at 5&10K and replace them between 15 and 20K. I knew that up front. The brake dust issue is overblown in my opinion. These wheels are so damn easy to clean. Try owning a German car with 2 piece cross-spoke wheels. My wife didn't want to sell her beloved BMW. After 1 week in the GS she doesn't miss it one little bit.
Old 07-24-07, 10:46 PM
ocean
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I think you guys have convinced me to stick around and look at the
GS some more. :-)

I realize that in forums people tend to be more vocal about problems. After
all that's why people come to forums. To find solutions to their problems.
That's why I was asking if you guys are happy with your GS. Seems like you
guys are. That's good enough for me.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-25-07, 02:46 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we vent our problems here because we're fanatical about our cars (just read our responses when our babies get wronged...we talk about shooting people and punishment that would make russian prisons look like vacations villas)

we're nitpicky, but that's what makes us, well.....us...
Old 07-25-07, 04:17 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I love my GS350. I'm so glad I bought it. No car is perfect, whether it comes to features or comfort or whatever. And you will usually find a Lexus dealership that is more than willing to work with you resolve things. Of course, like others posted, removing the run flats off the car was a must. Good luck.
Old 07-25-07, 08:15 AM
carnac
Driver School Candidate

The GS350 is a Great car, may have a few issues, But what car doesn't.
Buy a German car if you want to treated like Crap. there a bunch of Pompous, Arrogant asses.
Old 07-25-07, 08:20 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Main reason for most of us to purchase the Lexus is for its reliability, quietness, and design.

Due the fact that Lexus are known for its quiet cabine, any rattles can be hear are unacceptable. Even though, rattles are co-exist with any machines.

Yokohama A10B are great "Performance" tires for Lotus, they stick to the road like a glue. But Lexus made the mistake of using A10B for our GS, they are noisy as Hack!!!

Basically we are all spoiled by Lexus, now it is unacceptable to hear anything other than diesel engine tick!!!
Old 07-25-07, 09:18 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Corroborating with what was previously stated, no car is perfect, not even Lexus. But I'll buy a Lexus any day before I buy a Benz or a BMW even though I like both of what they have to offer in comparison to Lexus. Lexus is just far more reliable and trouble free than the others. Independent studies have proven that many times over. My GS350 (12400 miles currently) has some of the same issues that others have complained about - occasional creaking center dash which appears to be temperature sensitive, lousy Yoko tires soon to be changed, but in my experience those problems are less servere from what others have voiced in this forum. As jracerlmn stated, "..we're fanatical about our cars." I am fanatical about my GS. I'm certain you will be as well if you purchase one. Best of luck!!
Old 07-25-07, 09:22 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Loving my 3GS.

Keep in mind that the 5 and E have been out a little longer than the 3GS, and there are even more problems you've come across when compared to 1st/2nd year 3GS. I would think that for 2008 3GS, there would be less problem reported. Also, the 5 and E are probably getting restyled soon. Same reason I wouldn't get an RX now.

Good luck and do stick around!
Old 07-25-07, 09:52 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
first off, you live in CA, you won't have noise problems. The noise interior cabin noises come from the dash windshield rubbing together, but only at colder temps.
That may be true with your car, but I wouldn't make such a blanket statement. I had noise (rattles, pops, clicks) in mine due to the dash/windshield issues, but continue to have many rattles and noises even in temps around 70 degrees. These problems are not isolated to those in colder climates.

Quick Reply: Problems mentioned here scaring me away...