GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Consumer Reports drops Lexus to 5th place in reliability - due to 06 GS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 12:35 PM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Got a call from Lexus today, and they have agreed to buy my 06 GS300 AWD back from me. They agreed that I have been "put through the wringer" and that I indeed had a Lemon.

I had written them a letter listing all my problems, hoping we could come to a resolution. Their response was basically "go away - we're not doing anything for you", so I submitted the Lemon Law paperwork.

After that, they changed their tone and are buying back the car (without having to go through arbitration).
Old 08-15-07, 02:26 PM
Loxus
Rookie

[QUOTE=scottmyers;2802879]I had an 06 GS and now the 07. The 350 is definitely better, but not what I would call the real Lexus quality that we have come to know and love...QUOTE]

Could you share your experience on why did you come with such statement?
Old 08-16-07, 01:18 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Loxus;2844082]
Originally Posted by scottmyers
I had an 06 GS and now the 07. The 350 is definitely better, but not what I would call the real Lexus quality that we have come to know and love...QUOTE]

Could you share your experience on why did you come with such statement?
The rattles in a 50k car says it all.

06 GS issues
Dashboard creeks and pops that the dealer could not fix.

I lost two transmissions in less than 2000 miles. Looks like the transmission issues were due to a incorrectly installed gasket from the factory resulting in some kind of oil leak. They tore the car apart trying to fix it.

The creaking and popping was just the most obnoxious thing. The dealer basically could not fix it. I started test driving other GS's on their lot and other GS's from other dealers. They all did it. I had them do all the TSBs with no fix.

The seats are really not comfortable at all

The fuel door leaves a white drip mark after every wash (impossible to get off the paint).

There is a molding defect in the dash over the passenger air bag. All the GSs on the lot had the same defect.

The ML audio does not play MP3s, there is no aux audio jack, the Nav is the old Gen 4 version, no voice dialing with the bluetooth system and after two transmissions I had had enough. Mind you this was Lexus' brand new redesigned GS - what no MP3 capability?, your kidding me!

07 GS350
The rattles - I must be picky, but I have never owned a car that rattles like this. But they are not as bad as they were in my 06.

I know the 06 was a brand new redesign model year, but please... its a Lexus. After having the 07 for 9 months, its definitely better that the 06. So I hope the 08 is that much more improved. If so, my 07 will soon be on the used lot. I would just love to see the simple crap resolved.
Old 08-16-07, 02:03 PM
Loxus
Rookie

Arrow

[QUOTE=scottmyers;2846798]
Originally Posted by Loxus
07 GS350
The rattles - I must be picky, but I have never owned a car that rattles like this. But they are not as bad as they were in my 06.

I know the 06 was a brand new redesign model year, but please... its a Lexus. After having the 07 for 9 months, its definitely better that the 06. So I hope the 08 is that much more improved. If so, my 07 will soon be on the used lot. I would just love to see the simple crap resolved.
scottmyers, thanks for sharing info.

Most of the issues described I assume for 06 GS?

I've done about 5k on 07GS350AWD and besides a flat tire and issue with opening a glovebox (for some reason door just won't open when you press a button, it happens about 70% of the time, will address it when I see my dealer next time) I don't noticed anything bad.

Re: MP3 on ML - it does plays MP3 and WMA files, the only problem I see is while it can play DVD-Video (including most of the formats I tried) and DVD-Audio, very strange that if you putMP3/WMA files on DVD media - no playback... this is dissapointing... but from CD media - MP3/WMA playback is just fine.

Re: Rattles - .
Hmmm, haven't noticed anythyng yet.
And if you ever get a chance to ride in W220 MBZ S-Class - you will probably rephrase your last statement (I own one and there are no single part inside of the car that do not produce squeaks or rattles, trust me! )
Old 08-16-07, 02:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And if you ever get a chance to ride in W220 MBZ S-Class - you will probably rephrase your last statement (I own one and there are no single part inside of the car that do not produce squeaks or rattles, trust me! )
dang. i had the impression that benzes were squeak proof.

i know bmw's are not very tight. the 2007 3 series i test drove had clicks and other odd sounds.

so how come only lexus gets beat up about it?
Old 08-16-07, 02:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bdkinnh
Update: Got a call from Lexus today, and they have agreed to buy my 06 GS300 AWD back from me. They agreed that I have been "put through the wringer" and that I indeed had a Lemon.

I had written them a letter listing all my problems, hoping we could come to a resolution. Their response was basically "go away - we're not doing anything for you", so I submitted the Lemon Law paperwork.

After that, they changed their tone and are buying back the car (without having to go through arbitration).
And this is what will happen to your car. Its going to be sent back to Japan and engineers are going to rip it apart to figure how the issues.

Lexus has told its dealers to PLEASE send them as much info as possible on 06 issues.

As I have posted before from a "source" Lexus has sent a team of engineers to inspect the cars on the ES and GS lineups 5 times, stopping production to find the issues.
Old 08-16-07, 05:23 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Loxus;2846908]
Re: MP3 on ML - it does plays MP3 and WMA files, the only problem I see is while it can play DVD-Video (including most of the formats I tried) and DVD-Audio, very strange that if you putMP3/WMA files on DVD media - no playback... this is dissapointing... but from CD media - MP3/WMA playback is just fine.
Loxus - I was refering to the 06. It dosen't play MP3s. They added that capability to the 07.

As for the Mercedes, thats what steered me away from the E-Class. I heard they were a nightmare with mechanical issues.

Thanks
Old 08-16-07, 06:00 PM
composite
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=scottmyers;2847435]

Loxus - I was refering to the 06. It dosen't play MP3s. They added that capability to the 07.

As for the Mercedes, thats what steered me away from the E-Class. I heard they were a nightmare with mechanical issues.

Thanks
It sounds like Lexus has rattling/creaking/shaking problems. Everyone seems to say that BMW 5's and Mercedes E-class has the same problem if not worse. Don't know about Infiniti M's or Acura RLs.

Here's what I don't get: my 2002 TL has no such problem. Nada. Not even close after EIGHT years. There's very little shaking or rattling whatsoever on bumpy roads.

Don't get me wrong - it's not perfect. I had to replace the entire transmission after only 40k miles. And the replacement doesn't catch right. Sometimes when I'm decelerating it feels like it goes from 3rd to 1st gear - very disquieting. I'm not saying it does, it just feels like it. But I digress.

If Acura can get it right w/ the TL, eight years ago, then why's it so hard then for luxury cars - costing $20,000 more - to build sturdy internal cabins?
Old 08-16-07, 06:44 PM
LexFather

[QUOTE=composite;2847537]

It sounds like Lexus has rattling/creaking/shaking problems. Everyone seems to say that BMW 5's and Mercedes E-class has the same problem if not worse. Don't know about Infiniti M's or Acura RLs.

Here's what I don't get: my 2002 TL has no such problem. Nada. Not even close after EIGHT years. There's very little shaking or rattling whatsoever on bumpy roads.

Don't get me wrong - it's not perfect. I had to replace the entire transmission after only 40k miles. And the replacement doesn't catch right. Sometimes when I'm decelerating it feels like it goes from 3rd to 1st gear - very disquieting. I'm not saying it does, it just feels like it. But I digress.

If Acura can get it right w/ the TL, eight years ago, then why's it so hard then for luxury cars - costing $20,000 more - to build sturdy internal cabins?
Your TL is one in a million. Those cars rattle more than baby rattles. Owners complained about rattles since day one. They never fixed them.

The GS, one time out of 15 years has some rattles and some issues. Lexus has acknowledged them and is/has fixed them.

You cannot seriously compare the build of a 2002 TL to a GS. Its not even close. I've driven both extensively. Not even close.
Old 08-16-07, 08:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And this is what will happen to your car. Its going to be sent back to Japan and engineers are going to rip it apart to figure how the issues.

Lexus has told its dealers to PLEASE send them as much info as possible on 06 issues.

As I have posted before from a "source" Lexus has sent a team of engineers to inspect the cars on the ES and GS lineups 5 times, stopping production to find the issues.

i doubt they send them back to japan.
all the ES's that were bought back went straight to auction.
Old 08-17-07, 10:19 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

If that is true, then why didn't they buy my car back from me when I had three power steering failures and wrote them a letter about it (and all the other issues I had)? Their response was "We fixed it under warranty. No other action will be taken". Two weeks after receiving that letter, I filed the Lemon Law paperwork and they agreed to buy my car back.

If they were as proactive and concerned as you say, they should have jumped on the chance to get their hands on a problem 06 GS and satisfy a customer at the same time. Instead they took the attitude of "We're not going to do anything unless you force us to".

Too bad, really - until that point they hadn't lost a customer forever.
Old 08-17-07, 10:22 AM
bdkinnh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dunnojack
That's one thing I'm wondering about mine: since I will be coming to an agreement with Lexus without having to go through the whole Lemon Law arbitration, will my title be marked as a buyback, or will they just sell it at auction as if it is a 'normal' used car?

I'm going to keep my eye on it. How they handle it will tell me a lot about the company.
Old 08-17-07, 02:51 PM
composite
Driver School Candidate

Let us know what happens. I'm interested in knowing the answer.

Last edited by composite; 08-17-07 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 07:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

at auction, they label it as a buyback. they must disclose it.
Old 08-17-07, 08:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bdkinnh
If that is true, then why didn't they buy my car back from me when I had three power steering failures and wrote them a letter about it (and all the other issues I had)? Their response was "We fixed it under warranty. No other action will be taken". Two weeks after receiving that letter, I filed the Lemon Law paperwork and they agreed to buy my car back.

If they were as proactive and concerned as you say, they should have jumped on the chance to get their hands on a problem 06 GS and satisfy a customer at the same time. Instead they took the attitude of "We're not going to do anything unless you force us to".

Too bad, really - until that point they hadn't lost a customer forever.
I am sorry about your situation. I am just relaying what sources have told me. Not everyone will get their desired result.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
lol, I said Lexus WANTS them back. They might not go back, every car has its own story.