GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

engine noise on start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07 | 08:32 AM
sonikbo0m
Driver

Default engine noise on start up

For the past 2 days, when I start my car up in the morning, I hear this cranking noise for about 2 seconds before my engine would start up. This has happened once before a couple of months back. I called the dealer and they told me that it has something to do with how the oil drains and sits after a period of not driving and has to be pushed back up into the engine at startup. Of course they explained it a little better than that, but that's what I got out of it and it may happen more in the winter time. Anybody else having this problem. The service guy says that there's nothing they can do about it, but it sounds nasty and doesn't sound too good for the engine.

I remember reading a thread about this before but couldn't find it in the search.

EDIT: It's the cranking sound at the end of 9 and the beginning of 8 second in the clip.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...2787_noise.flv

Last edited by sonikbo0m; 02-06-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-28-07 | 09:01 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

No knocking, right? Is it a deep base, rythmic sound or is it metallic.
I have somthing similar, but not before it cranks.
Old 07-28-07 | 09:09 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sonikbo0m
For the past 2 days, when I start my car up in the morning, I hear this cranking noise for about 2 seconds before my engine would start up. This has happened once before a couple of months back. I called the dealer and they told me that it has something to do with how the oil drains and sits after a period of not driving and has to be pushed back up into the engine at startup. Of course they explained it a little better than that, but that's what I got out of it and it may happen more in the winter time. Anybody else having this problem. The service guy says that there's nothing they can do about it, but it sounds nasty and doesn't sound too good for the engine.

I remember reading a thread about this before but couldn't find it in the search.

I think what your saying is the engine is cranking for 2 sec (starter) then starts up. The reason for this cranking is to push the oil from the pan through the engine before it starts. If that’s true pretty cool feature by Lexus. Could save ware and tear on the life of the engine.
Old 02-06-08 | 03:21 PM
sonikbo0m
Driver

Anybody with this noise? Think this an IS350.
Is this the same noise that is suppose to be normal?

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...2787_noise.flv
Old 02-06-08 | 03:48 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

If you are talking about the cranking before the engine starts, it sounds normal to me.
Old 02-06-08 | 03:57 PM
sonikbo0m
Driver

Originally Posted by rkb43
If you are talking about the cranking before the engine starts, it sounds normal to me.
check the link, i don't think we are talking about the same thing.
Old 02-07-08 | 09:25 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Our GS was sometimes making an aweful grinding noise on start-up. It had to do with the starter motor. They had to replace something.
Old 02-07-08 | 10:01 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

If you are talking about the noise after the engine starts up, my service advisor told me that is normal...
Old 02-08-08 | 10:05 AM
sonikbo0m
Driver

Originally Posted by slk_dds
If you are talking about the noise after the engine starts up, my service advisor told me that is normal...
Yeah, my dealer service told me it was normal too which I don't know if they hear the same sound or not. The cranking noise sounds horrible. I don't know if I even would've bought it if that happened when the car was started up in the dealership. Sounds like something is about to break.

But there is an ongoing thread in the IS forum and seems like there is a TSB.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+noise&page=18
Old 02-08-08 | 10:14 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

the noise after start up is the direct injection noise.. should be normal

however, noise right at cranks.. now that's different.
Old 03-10-08 | 12:25 PM
keropi210
Driver School Candidate

anyone get some feedback from the dealership yet?

meaning, has anyone had work done to fix this issue?
Old 03-13-08 | 08:07 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

i would like to know also.
Old 03-17-08 | 06:54 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Got into my car tonight to drive home from work...around 35 degrees or so outside...pushed the start button and it seemed as if it was trying to start for several seconds...the ignition turning over and over and over again with a grinding noise. I hit the start button to shut it off...then tried it again.

This second time it turned over with the long grinding noise then it started roughly. Once I put it into drive, no issues. All electricals seemed fine. I have not been able to reproduce this, but will keep my eye on this. I have 650 miles on my car. Hope this was a fluke.

Let me know if others have experienced this and if there is an explanation and/or TSB.
Old 03-17-08 | 07:23 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

you should get it check out because it should not do that......
Old 03-17-08 | 07:29 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Yep...wound on another thread that there is a TSB to fix this...TSB: L-SB-0009-08.

Anyone know how long it takes to update this software through this TSB?

Quick Reply: engine noise on start up