GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Does your clear bra installation include front bumper?
Yes of course!
68.18%
Nope, my hood looks good but bumper looks like *****!
9.09%
I like my bra in pink and laced.
22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

BS or not? Clear bra does NOT stay on bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 11:38 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation BS or not? Clear bra does NOT stay on bumper?

I have just recently heard that some clear bra installations do NOT include front bumper coverage because it doesn't stay on the bumper? Has anyone heard of this before? And for those of you who have clear bra installed, is it on your front bumper? Thank you!

*the choices are exaggerated and for laughter purposes only*

Last edited by Yang1815; 07-30-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 12:56 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I selected NO, but that's not completely accurate.

Does the "standard" clear bra set-up include the bumper? No it doesn't
But did I pay extra and get the whole bumper done as well? YES, DEFINETLY.

What's this about it not staying on the bumper...... THE ONLY way it would not stay on the bumper is if the installer stretched it to much around the curves and then, YES it would pull back, but if done properly and with the appropriate cuts, it's NEVER a problem.

the bumper is NOT included in the standard install, BECAUSE the bumper is made of plastic. and if it did start to peel back, there is a chance that it could also peal back the paint from the bumper.....
With that said, I would never NOT get it on my bumper, I would ALWAYS get it no matter what. I have had nothing but good things from this clear bra stuff, even on my plastic bumper.
Old 07-30-07, 01:12 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Thank you Jason for the reply.

So I guess it depends on the skill of the installer if it could stay on the bumper or not eh?

Or does different products also affect it as well (3M vs. Venture and others)
Old 07-30-07, 01:24 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

think of it this way....
the clear bra, is like wall paper. if you expect the glue on wall paper to hold the paper down, after you have curved and stretched it so much, it probably won't

Clear bra is just held on by a glue, that's why it likes flat surfaces like the hood.

If you want the bumper done, it should hold, even with the dumbest of installers, as long as they don't try and cover all the curves completely.

I would do all the verticle areas, but when the bumper starts curving to the lights and such, I would cut it off there. Eliminate bra-ing the curves, or in time it will just peel off, which when it does, you just need a razor and trim it back, it's easy but still. Best to eliminate hastles.
Old 07-30-07, 02:28 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

In November 2006, I installed the clear bra:

PRE-CUT: hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, headlights, and foglights;

CUSTOM-CUT: invisible door edge protector, top of rear bumper (to prevent scratch from loading/unloading of golf bags0, and used as splash guards (right behind front and rear wheel wells)) to my GS350, till now still looking excellent.

I spent about 7 hours to installed all pieces; when compared with ones that were installed at the dealership; my installation was better than the pros.

Last edited by slk_dds; 07-31-07 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-30-07, 04:30 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I think the pre cuts are the way to go, this way, they are cut at the factory and not by a human which leaves room for error.
Old 07-31-07, 10:04 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jace7
I think the pre cuts are the way to go, this way, they are cut at the factory and not by a human which leaves room for error.
AGREE, but sometimes you have to be creative when pre-cut are not available!
Old 07-31-07, 10:20 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the experience with VentureShield installed in my car, VS offers you:

bumper

hood

and headlights

You choose which pre-cut pattern you want to install and pay for it. Like I said in my other thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=289973 - you can see pictures in there too), this was the best $450 mod for my car I invested, and I got all those above installed. In addition to chip rocks, it also does a great job on bug splatters (especially those bloody ones ). Just wipe it off, and you are done.

And, if its done properly by a certified installer, it will stay on for good.
Old 07-31-07, 11:38 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jace7
think of it this way....
the clear bra, is like wall paper. if you expect the glue on wall paper to hold the paper down, after you have curved and stretched it so much, it probably won't

Clear bra is just held on by a glue, that's why it likes flat surfaces like the hood.

If you want the bumper done, it should hold, even with the dumbest of installers, as long as they don't try and cover all the curves completely.

I would do all the verticle areas, but when the bumper starts curving to the lights and such, I would cut it off there. Eliminate bra-ing the curves, or in time it will just peel off, which when it does, you just need a razor and trim it back, it's easy but still. Best to eliminate hastles.
My experience has been that a clear bra is equally as effective on a curved surface as on a flat surface. Cars that I have owned with complete front-end and hood clear bras include a GX470, SC430, A4, and 645ci - all curvacious and smooth and no signs of clear bra detachment. The SC430 was sold last year, but the bra on the GX470 is still holding on and closing in on its third anniversary.
Old 07-31-07, 10:53 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

In the hands of a competent installer, clearbra/stoneguard/venture shield can be placed on any surface. I have seen complete cars covered with clearbra. If you have an installer telling you that it can't be placed on the bumper because it won't stay on, move down the list.
Old 08-01-07, 09:04 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
In the hands of a competent installer, clearbra/stoneguard/venture shield can be placed on any surface. I have seen complete cars covered with clearbra. If you have an installer telling you that it can't be placed on the bumper because it won't stay on, move down the list.
great advice. I think installation is the key and if you do it yourself, take the time to do it right. This isnt something you want to rush. I am getting this done soon but will have to have it custom done because I added a lip kit to the front bumper and want some other areas done. As long as it looks good it is worth it to me
Old 08-01-07, 04:48 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I couldn't agree with you more. I was very lucky with my install. My friend knows the guy who installs the clearbra at the Lexus dealerships. He actually came to my house and installed it right before my eyes and of course I didnt get charged the "Lexus" price. Of course after he installed it, I got my warranty card and I was good to go. Great investment and it's critical you guys use a certified and trained installer.
Old 08-04-07, 07:10 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Default venture shield

Originally Posted by SilverSprt
I couldn't agree with you more. I was very lucky with my install. My friend knows the guy who installs the clearbra at the Lexus dealerships. He actually came to my house and installed it right before my eyes and of course I didnt get charged the "Lexus" price. Of course after he installed it, I got my warranty card and I was good to go. Great investment and it's critical you guys use a certified and trained installer.
I just got venture shield installed on my hood, fender,mirrors,headlights, fog lights ,luggage area on top of rear bumpers and edges wrapped on all 4 doors to protect the edges. Looked up recommended dealer/installer on venture shield website, the guy came to my house and did it in my garage for $300.
Did a professional job for way less than dealerships.