GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another post about low dust brake pads-should they resurface rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 12:10 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another post about low dust brake pads-should they resurface rotors?

Since I'm mad at the moment, what do you think? Should they resurface the roters when putting on the new pads? I only had about 4500miles on the car. I wasn't "sport" driving the car, but as I feel the rotors, the rear ones are smooth. The front ones feel like there are gooved lines that of a record. Should they had resurfaced my rotors? or is that normal?

I don't have the tsb, but does it say anything about resurfacing the rotors?
Old 08-06-07, 03:25 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Is it part of the TSIB? No. Should they? Yes, but keep in mind that it would probably be a good will gesture on the dealership's part.
Old 08-06-07, 07:30 AM
chocaholic
Pole Position

I must respectfully disagree. Your car only has 4500 miles on it. It's unlikely that the rotors are warped (pulsation when braking at freeway speeds). That's the only viable reason to turn rotors. The grooves you see are perfectly normal and your new pads will conform to them the first time or two you apply your brakes. The most they should do is take a scotch brite pad to them to remove any glazing, but even that is likely unnecessary on a 4500 mile street driven car.

When you resurface rotors, you're removing metal and decreasing their heat dissipation capacity. This can lead to premature warping down the road.

This one goes under the heading of....."if it ain't broke...don't fix it"!
Old 08-06-07, 07:30 AM
GSJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone noted in one of the other threads on the low dust pads, there are pluses and minuses to resurfacing the rotars with that low mileage. On the positive side, if they resurfaced them your pads would not have to seat over the next few hundred miles so you would have better braking right away. On the down side, there are only so many times rotars can be resurfaced without replacing them which is not cheap!!!

Mine is in the shop right now for the TSB and with 450 miles on it I told them not to resurface. It really is a matter of preference with less than 10K on the car.

MHO
Old 08-06-07, 09:20 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

ok if those goves are normal, I wont mention it.
Old 08-06-07, 02:25 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely a matter of preference, 5k miles is borderline but remember that until they bed in, your pads will only be contacting on the high spots of the grooves. If I had to guess, 75-85% of normal pad/rotor contact. Mine did not get resurfaced and it took 5k miles to bed in or at least feel like they were 100% so definitely take that into consideration. Cost of rotors not being a concern, I would have definitely preferred that they were resurfaced or even replaced at the time of pad installation.
Old 08-06-07, 03:26 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience:

Dealer told me it's not on the TSIB to re-surface the rotor, so they did not do it. I had 4300 miles.
Old 08-06-07, 03:29 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

ok, as long it starts to grab better, i'm ticked enough as it is with them to mention this and loose my car for another few days.
Old 08-06-07, 03:51 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

I had my front brake pads replaced per TSIB at 6k. Since my brakes was kinda grabbing when braking. So they went ahead re-surfaced my front rotors. Before they were 29.5mm, after they were 29.0mm.
Old 08-06-07, 04:02 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

doesnt sound like much of a loss. but I dunno how much damge is already done to the pads, meaning if I have them fix it at this point, the pads my have the grooves, while the roters may not.
Old 08-06-07, 04:05 PM
GSJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I took my car in today and they did not have the pads. According to the Service Manager there are only 3 sets of pads in the USA and all are spoken for.

Sounds like a load of ..............

Time to go to a different dealer!
Old 08-06-07, 04:17 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just in case anyone runs into the same issue I'm having...

Just in case anyone runs into the same issue I'm having... here is a link again to the brake dust TSIB on the GS (and IS).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...5&d=1170183779

Reasoning..... called my dealer today to schedule the 5K maintenance on our '07 GS350 AWD and mention I think there is way too much brake dust. I asked if there is a TSB or if they've had many complaints about excessive brake dust. My SA quickly said "nope, no such TSB exists". I said are your sure? I thought I read about one regarding the GS? (didn't have it in front of me at the time) They quickly replied "yep 100% certain - only one out there is for the IS". After pulling it again, I'm sitting here WTF?

So, I just printed it out and will take w/ me next week when I go in for the 5K oil change. Should be interesting to see the reaction when I 'inquire' again (paper in hand of course).

Thanks CL members for the back up and I can't wait to start using the brakes again .
Old 08-06-07, 04:32 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

make sure you show them it ahead of the time. That way they can set aside the ammount of time needed to do the job.
Old 08-06-07, 04:47 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nah, I like the passive aggressive approach better
Besides, my dealer has free service pick/delivery of loaner cars and car washes w/ every service. If I space it out right, I won't have to wash the GS again until mid/late September
Old 08-06-07, 04:53 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Now that's using your noggin!

Quick Reply: Another post about low dust brake pads-should they resurface rotors?