GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 Lexus GS 460/350 press release (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 05:54 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yuuupp. Go figure. And can't that 3rd party ipod adapter hook in an aux? Like this head unit does have an aux input but they never added the input on the car?

Originally Posted by rominl
so instead of an aux input, on the gs they put in a tape deck?!
Old 09-07-07, 07:14 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Yuuupp. Go figure. And can't that 3rd party ipod adapter hook in an aux? Like this head unit does have an aux input but they never added the input on the car?
what are you talking about ?????
Old 09-07-07, 08:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enigma888
A number of Lexus models come with guide lines in the backup camera, I think the GS does as well. They show steering wheel suggestions, etc.
Originally Posted by rominl
they do? which model has that? i am pretty sure IS, GS, and LS don't
Originally Posted by starstreak
Mine doesnt have guide lines. It does tell me if I'm getting too close to an object and to turn my wheel. But no guide lines. And I think that comes from teh parking sensors, and not really from the reverse camera.
This is what I am talking about:

GS:

LS:

RX:

I guess the guide lines only come with Lexus Park Assist option, and perhaps only in certain regions. Perhaps more clarity is required: I have not seen these features available in any Lexus models I have personally tested in SoCal, but these pictures clearly show that the guidelines are available on a number of Lexus models. I would think Japan only except that the GS picture does not have any Japanese text on the buttons. Perhaps Europe, or special order?

Last edited by encore888; 09-07-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 08:14 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The GS is for sure not North American, probably England, it is right sided driver
Old 09-07-07, 08:27 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. Guide lines. Never escapes me how they leave features off. Last one that I was ticked off at was all the voice commands are gone when you don't order nav. Including things for adjusting temperature. What does temp have to do with nav? Or # dialing? Thats gone too without nav. go figure.
Old 09-07-07, 08:52 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might as well chime in to say I'm glad I jumped on getting an '07 and not waiting for the '08.

- The subtle change in the 18" wheels are too flashy for me.
- The steering wheel and tranny gate..unnecessary changes.
- Front facia: From an impartial perspective, Lexus should have tweaked the front end more and play with the tailights. I was expecting the headlights to be incorporated as one (similar to an RL ) and the (LED) taillights to meet at the center (vague reference to a 1997-2004 Buick Regal...but with the Lexus touch).

None of the items above make me horny to want to wait for an '08. The two items I knew would change that I'd like to have would be the side mirror directionals and the accessible buttons for gas and trunk. Also would have been nice for the '07 to have the side mirrors fold in automatically. But these three items are small adjustment compromises and do not warrant getting an '08.

Too many good deals on '07 allotments to ignore.
Old 09-07-07, 09:11 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by Bushwack
I might as well chime in to say I'm glad I jumped on getting an '07 and not waiting for the '08.

- The subtle change in the 18" wheels are too flashy for me.
- The steering wheel and tranny gate..unnecessary changes.
- Front facia: From an impartial perspective, Lexus should have tweaked the front end more and play with the tailights. I was expecting the headlights to be incorporated as one (similar to an RL ) and the (LED) taillights to meet at the center (vague reference to a 1997-2004 Buick Regal...but with the Lexus touch).

None of the items above make me horny to want to wait for an '08. The two items I knew would change that I'd like to have would be the side mirror directionals and the accessible buttons for gas and trunk. Also would have been nice for the '07 to have the side mirrors fold in automatically. But these three items are small adjustment compromises and do not warrant getting an '08.

Too many good deals on '07 allotments to ignore.
My thoughts also and what's the use for the GS460's under powered V8
Old 09-07-07, 09:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they would never fuse the front lights together for this generation.
it'll be 4 separate lights till 2012.

the changes you were wishing for are just too radical.
Old 09-07-07, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
This is what I am talking about:

GS:

LS:

RX:

I guess the guide lines only come with Lexus Park Assist option, and perhaps only in certain regions. Perhaps more clarity is required: I have not seen these features available in any Lexus models I have personally tested in SoCal, but these pictures clearly show that the guidelines are available on a number of Lexus models. I would think Japan only except that the GS picture does not have any Japanese text on the buttons. Perhaps Europe, or special order?
those are not US spec lexus. i am very sure the ls460 here in the US doesn't have it, and as far as i recall not on the gs and is as well. also i am sure it's not on the rx (loaner 400h...)
Old 09-07-07, 10:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Right, I have not seen this on any Lexus in the U.S...

It seems Lexus is putting the emphasis on special features with non-US now, used to be the other way around. Wonder why they decided not to put those features on the US version?

Funny thing though, the GS pics include both right-side driver and left-side driver consoles, lol. Maybe they're for UK and mainland Europe.

Anyhow, it would be cool if they added it for the GS 460, better yet if they added APGS. But anyhow, at least they put the trunk/gas switches now on the outside.
Old 09-08-07, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i don't understand why lexus don't put those guidance lines on nav?
Old 09-08-07, 01:46 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Features like paking assist guide lines are common feature for Euro spec car(s) in European regions. Unfortunately, the leagel system and liability claims practice made any such implementation much difficult in US market. There is a lenthy and costy process that manufacture that have to go through to have those features added to US spec car(s). Lexus (toyota) is a very conservetive car manufactory compare others. Their decision to make those avaialble to US market will have to be weighted on all those facts in compare of market demands. To be fair to Lexus, it is muc more of regulation related issues than lexus decision. Just my two cents.
Old 09-08-07, 11:40 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bushwack

None of the items above make me horny to want to wait for an '08. The two items I knew would change that I'd like to have would be the side mirror directionals and the accessible buttons for gas and trunk. Also would have been nice for the '07 to have the side mirrors fold in automatically.

Are you saying that the 2008 has the abilitiy to "have the side mirrors fold in automatically?" Is this true does anyone know?
Old 09-08-07, 01:30 PM
MI6
Driver School Candidate

Nobody has still answered how the instrument cluster is different for MY 2008...
Old 09-08-07, 01:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The tach and speedo numbers are italic compared to the 06-07 which are regular.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus GS 460/350 press release (merged threads)