GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 Lexus GS 460/350 press release (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 06:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i am still a bit in disbelief. if this is true, then i really have no idea what lexu sis thinking with this silly 342hp engine for the gs460. it's overlap with the gs450h and it eats more gas. you do get a larger trunk but that's not enough to justify it existence.

the gs460 is 17/24 on gas mileage. the ls460 has 40 more horses and still rated 16/24. wtf...... not to mention a lot of gs owners they get more than 24mpg in real life. i really don't see why they want to detune the engine
I think heartbroken is maybe a little exaggerating (my feelings) but this really stabs my enthusiasm towards the GS, not my first Lexus but the first one I truly loved. I am a huge GS fan, following it since 1993....

They simply did not try hard enough.
Old 09-06-07, 07:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other thing to consider, and this is only speculation , but:

Considering that Lexus has a habit of putting the new engine in at a refresh, I really have to wonder what engine we are going to see for the 4GS. I would really, really hope that they don't just leave this 342HP engine in there until like 2015, because in two years BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti are going to be over 400HP.

At that rate, even if they give us the 380HP 4.6L powerplant, we are STILL going to be left behind when they change engines. We're going to have to hope for a rather shocking change in the power plant department for them to be competitive, and considering GS history Lexus doesn't really do anything shocking or competitive, so I won't hold my breath.

Also, it looks like we're going to be outpowered by the new Hyundai Genesis (360+hp). Sorry, not cool at all
Old 09-06-07, 08:13 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
Am I correct? There are NO rear changes.

I can't see any, but I never was good at puzzles.
all they did was replace the unpainted plastic part of the lower bumper with a painted part. still the same shape.
Old 09-06-07, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think heartbroken is maybe a little exaggerating (my feelings) but this really stabs my enthusiasm towards the GS, not my first Lexus but the first one I truly loved. I am a huge GS fan, following it since 1993....

They simply did not try hard enough.
well, on the bright side, i have always thought the gs350 is quite an amazing car (performance wise)
Old 09-06-07, 09:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
how come the hp is not close to 380...is it because it doesn't want to step in the LS footsteps?...
i really don't understand
derating the engine mechanically or on paper (who knows) so it doesnt compare with the flagship aint something new in the auto industry. If you bought an LS460 would you really like it if some GS460 has the same power/tranny as you
Old 09-06-07, 09:17 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the new Hyundai sport luxury sedan ("Genesis") supposed to have a 380 hp 4.6L V8?

If so, it'd be pathetic to see Lexus's supposedly sportiest sedan outperformed by a Hyundai.
Old 09-06-07, 10:05 AM
LexFather

well, on the bright side, i have always thought the gs350 is quite an amazing car (performance wise)
True and the thought of an AWD Lexus sedan has me thinking....
Old 09-06-07, 10:56 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
The GS offerings are bunched too close together now. They should have had.
1) GS350 rear & awd- 342hp
2) GS450h - 350hp
3) GS460 - 380hp minimum!!!
Keep in mind the 350 already has the most power in its class out of a V6. 342 out of a N/A 3.5 would be SUPER amazing.

True and the thought of an AWD Lexus sedan has me thinking....
Agree with both.
Old 09-06-07, 11:28 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

I had high hopes for the GS460, but I feel Lexus pulled a Bill Buckner and let this one slip by. It's been 10 years and .6L since the GS400 and this is all they're willing to crank out from this engine?

I was waiting for the GS460 before considering a new car, but it's no longer on the prospective list.
Old 09-06-07, 11:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enigma888
As flipside909 said, it has nothing to do with the VP Marketing...Ms. Meyer left because she was offered a higher-level position with better pay and more power at Chrysler; also as a business school graduate with less car experience she had hit a ceiling at Toyota and was probably unable to advance further.

Anyhow, maybe a future car mag review will explain to us why the GS 460 does not have 380 hp like the LS 460. Maybe they didn't want to surpass the hybrid, who knows. Maybe this time around they don't want to surpass the flagship. There is a lot of mystery here and a series of strange decisions, starting back in the day with the '06 GS 430 with the same engine as the previous generation. With this latest model the press release/tech specs were riddled with errors (the tech specs still have them), which was uncharacteristic of the PR dept.

IMO Lexus had the potential to do for the refreshed GS what they did with the 2 GS, but they simply chose not to. I think there may have been a financial decision. However, horsepower is not everything, maybe there will be improved handling, etc. However, I was hoping for a 380 hp overall and some styling differences to the rear section and interior.
I still find it inexcusable that Toyota put that PR full of errors back onto it's pressroom site. If Toyota people DO read this forum then PLEASE correct that PR or take it off as it's an embarassment.

GS460 does have improved handling thanks to "Active Power Stabilizer" system, or in other words the same active suspension system you can get on the GS hybrid.

The GS line overall is quite solid but nonetheless the GS460 HP is dissapointing. It's not class leading, and not even competitive. I really want to hear the explanation as to why it has only 342HP. I would have actually bought a GS460 if it had 380+HP.
Old 09-06-07, 12:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Other thing to consider, and this is only speculation , but:

Considering that Lexus has a habit of putting the new engine in at a refresh, I really have to wonder what engine we are going to see for the 4GS. I would really, really hope that they don't just leave this 342HP engine in there until like 2015, because in two years BMW, Mercedes, and Infiniti are going to be over 400HP.

At that rate, even if they give us the 380HP 4.6L powerplant, we are STILL going to be left behind when they change engines. We're going to have to hope for a rather shocking change in the power plant department for them to be competitive, and considering GS history Lexus doesn't really do anything shocking or competitive, so I won't hold my breath.

Also, it looks like we're going to be outpowered by the new Hyundai Genesis (360+hp). Sorry, not cool at all
Agreed. If the GS460 has in reality 342HP, and the 4GS gets only a 380HP V8 that will be yet another dissapointment. Even with the supposed GS-F it won't change the fact that the 4GS would get outgunned.

The best that we can hope for as GS enthusiasts is that the "342" number is a paper spec only making the engine underrated for marketing while in reality it having 380HP (this is unlikely though). With the 4GS, the best we can hope for is that Lexus FINALLY adds AWD to the V8 GS and that the V8 GS receives at a minimum a 400HP V8. Lexus can easily do it by sticking in either the 5.0L V8 or by making enhancements/additions to the 4.6L like adding Valvematic.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
derating the engine mechanically or on paper (who knows) so it doesnt compare with the flagship aint something new in the auto industry. If you bought an LS460 would you really like it if some GS460 has the same power/tranny as you
Sorry, but the LS is not that exclusive. It was a known fact that the 4.6L V8 (and derivatives) as well as the 8 speed transmission would eventually make their way into other Lexus models. Historically, Lexus has debuted the latest and greatest on the LS, and gradually they would trickle down into the rest of the Lexus lineup, but the LS would always have some exclusive items.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the LS is the flagship not because of it's powertrain but because of the total overall package the vehicle offers.

Besides, things like the rear seat recliner will never be offered in the GS.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-06-07 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 12:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101
Isn't the new Hyundai sport luxury sedan ("Genesis") supposed to have a 380 hp 4.6L V8?

If so, it'd be pathetic to see Lexus's supposedly sportiest sedan outperformed by a Hyundai.
Don't stop there. How about Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, etc. Please, that statement was ridiculous.
Old 09-06-07, 12:36 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Don't stop there. How about Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, etc. Please, that statement was ridiculous.
Dunno... I find your statement ridiculous.
Old 09-06-07, 12:41 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

l
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
In 2001 the GS 430 had 300 HP I think the LS430 had only 290 HP so why wouldn't they do it now? People in the other car forums are laughing at Lexus for doing this crazy S***
Old 09-06-07, 12:46 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101

I don't care how much HP a Hyundai Genesis have I guaranteed the GS460 will whup it's *** in every performance category known to man.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus GS 460/350 press release (merged threads)