GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cabin air filter replace for GS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 10:03 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by three twos
Big thanks for the BEWARE. I was just getting ready to order the filter and the change it myself. SO........... How do you prevent the problem?
You will see that door opening when you push the recirc button.
Old 08-23-11, 04:13 AM
three twos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great answer. Thanks jOemama. Got it!

Is it really necessary to change every 5,000 miles?
Old 08-23-11, 09:33 AM
smilepak
Driver

Not cabin..you can go 20k before you need to change one...

I think I broke mine when replacing it..can't remember if recirc button was one of off..it was awhile ago. But i know recirc doesn't seems to block bad smell from outside anymore ahhaha
Old 08-23-11, 10:23 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
You can order this through our own CL Vendor, Sewell Lexus.

Part# 87139-07010

http://beta.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=89330
Hmm.. i thought this one is stock 87139-30040
I think my number is old.

I bought "carbon" filter 08974-00820
http://s3.images.drive2.ru/car.journ...e777-large.jpg
Left - stock after 7k miles.
Right - new carbon filter
Old 03-12-12, 02:21 PM
TMac2
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the heads up! change mine in 2 mins thanks again!
Old 04-07-12, 07:07 PM
MagnusNo3
Driver School Candidate

This is my first post!!! I just purchased a 2008 GS 350 AWD a month ago. Love how it drives!!!! However, I noticed that I when I would hit the recirculation button ... the outside air would still come through the vents. Took it to one dealer in Richmond, VA and he never heard of the problem and said that all cars do that. I quickly gave him the "gas face" and rolled out. Took it to Lexus of Alexandria and they knew what the problem was right away. Said that someone did what the guy did in the you tube video and quoted me for $1400!!! WTF ... Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem (beside trading it in ... LOL)?
Old 04-07-12, 09:07 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
I bought "carbon" filter
Left - stock after 7k miles.
Right - new carbon filter
I bought the carbon one too and I have no more bad smelling A/C. It's AMAZING. Not gonna put in anything else but that carbon filter now.

Originally Posted by MagnusNo3
This is my first post!!! I just purchased a 2008 GS 350 AWD a month ago. Love how it drives!!!! However, I noticed that I when I would hit the recirculation button ... the outside air would still come through the vents. Took it to one dealer in Richmond, VA and he never heard of the problem and said that all cars do that. I quickly gave him the "gas face" and rolled out. Took it to Lexus of Alexandria and they knew what the problem was right away. Said that someone did what the guy did in the you tube video and quoted me for $1400!!! WTF ... Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem (beside trading it in ... LOL)?
Some guy dismantled the A/C assembly, found the gear that broke and then glued the piece back together and it worked. Or you can try buying just that gear and fixing it as well.
Old 04-07-12, 10:46 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesca
I bought the carbon one too and I have no more bad smelling A/C. It's AMAZING. Not gonna put in anything else but that carbon filter now.

Some guy dismantled the A/C assembly, found the gear that broke and then glued the piece back together and it worked. Or you can try buying just that gear and fixing it as well.
Where did you guys buy the carbon filters?
Old 04-07-12, 11:04 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusNo3
Yes, this problem can be fixed. Check this out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...glove-box.html

I know you can buy just that little part from a dealer.
Old 04-08-12, 05:31 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cabin Air Filter

They can be purchased thru many different vendors on line for around $12.00. Set ventaltion system in "recirulation mode" and remove and replace the old according to the instructions in the manual. Less than a 5 minute job!
Old 04-08-12, 12:31 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Where did you guys buy the carbon filters?
I usually go through Sewell. They give a big discount for clublexus members! $42.29

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/2518.html
Old 04-08-12, 02:28 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

I replaced the cabin filter a few times. But this time the filter I installed does not have an UP arrow.
Instead it has an AIR FLOW arrow.
Can anyone confirm the air flow direction is downward from the cabin air filter casing.
Thanks.
Old 04-09-12, 09:43 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I replaced the cabin filter a few times. But this time the filter I installed does not have an UP arrow.
Instead it has an AIR FLOW arrow.
Can anyone confirm the air flow direction is downward from the cabin air filter casing.
Thanks.
According to Sewell installation it shows Air flow/All arrows pointing UP. <see link below>

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/ac_filter-2.pdf
Old 04-09-12, 06:55 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by j0emama
According to Sewell installation it shows Air flow/All arrows pointing UP. <see link below>

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/ac_filter-2.pdf
I know about the UP arrow in the manual and some filter. The UP arrow on the filter is not necessary an indication of the air flow direction.
After seeing this video, I am very sure the air flow direction is from top to bottom.
The dirt was trap on top of the old filter when I removed it. That confirmed it.
If the air flow is from top to bottom, the filter would have a hard time to stay in the casing.
Old 04-09-12, 07:10 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I know about the UP arrow in the manual and some filter. The UP arrow on the filter is not necessary an indication of the air flow direction.
After seeing this video, I am very sure the air flow direction is from top to bottom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmfjIPt7UsA
The dirt was trap on top of the old filter when I removed it. That confirmed it.
If the air flow is from top to bottom, the filter would have a hard time to stay in the casing.
I can confirm that it IS from the top to the bottom on the third gen GS... if it isn't then the filter doesn't work since the top of mine (I replaced it on the Easter Weekend) was totally gross and the bottom is significantly cleaner. If the filter only indicates Air flow ... Then that should point down.

Quick Reply: Cabin air filter replace for GS350