GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS compared to ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 12:45 AM
savon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPride
uh oh, I think someone made poop in their pants!
Thank you for introducing yourself. I know truth hurts.
Old 09-18-07, 03:09 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Thank you for introducing yourself. I know truth hurts.
Dude, I've been a member here much longer with 10x as many posts as you, but whatever.

The reality is that to almost anyone EXCEPT an ES owner, it is little more than a dressed up Camry, and Lexus themselves even acknowledge that in the future they will share less dna. To make matters worse, the Avalon treads dangerously close to it, making you wonder what real purpose the ES serves, other than to say "...but it's a luxury car!" Your whole argument falls apart when you question why anyone should spend the extra $10k for a GS, yet you did just that over a Camry, failing to realize that the GS isn't platform sharing, and looks like nothing at all in the Toyota lineup. Yes, Lexus has this car slotted against no real competitor, but then the reviews simply question that decision, and fall back on the "tarted up Camry" claim. Or simply go to another auto forum and see what people think about it, or spending $40k for one for that matter. And don't say you don't care what others think, that's why you posted your long diatribe here to begin with, remember?

I know truth hurts.
Old 09-18-07, 06:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Putting all personal preferences and motivations etc., aside, Lexus is selling a lot of sedans to all different kinds of buyers in different segments, which is a good thing for the brand as well as the mix of people who buy them.

YTD Sales Thru August:
ES: 55,593 +15%
IS: 37,949 +1%
LS: 23,432 +157%
GS: 14,058 -11%
Old 09-18-07, 08:39 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus sells over 70k ESs a year and 25k-30k GSs.
I wish to see a statistic for that 25k-30k between West Coast and East Coast (RWD vs AWD). From everything I have read here so far, it seems that at least 70% (if not more) are being sold on West Coast. Ever since its introduction (GS350 that is), inventories on East Coast were always low. I even remember last year around Nov/Dec the waiting was for months...
Old 09-18-07, 08:42 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Putting all personal preferences and motivations etc., aside, Lexus is selling a lot of sedans to all different kinds of buyers in different segments, which is a good thing for the brand as well as the mix of people who buy them.

YTD Sales Thru August:
ES: 55,593 +15%
IS: 37,949 +1%
LS: 23,432 +157%
GS: 14,058 -11%
Just keep in mind, these numbers are not based on popularity but production volumes and availability. And, of course introduction of a new model helps a lot. I'm sure LS sales for LS430 were down, up until LS460 intro. The same probably was going from 2GS to 3GS when GS300/GS430 were introduced...
Old 09-18-07, 09:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
Just keep in mind, these numbers are not based on popularity but production volumes and availability. And, of course introduction of a new model helps a lot. I'm sure LS sales for LS430 were down, up until LS460 intro. The same probably was going from 2GS to 3GS when GS300/GS430 were introduced...
I didn't mean to compare the sale of one model vs. another. Just reinforcing that the Lexus brand, across all of their sedans, is strong.
Old 09-18-07, 11:07 AM
rjacket
Driver

Default The ES does have a purpose

The ES does have a purpose. It makes you realize how glad you were that you got a GS.

Old 09-18-07, 11:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjacket
The ES does have a purpose. It makes you realize how glad you were that you got a GS.

Then it's done its job...
Old 09-18-07, 12:08 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

ES is the Camry for someone who wants a Lexus. But I think I like the looks of the new Camrry more than the ES now.
Old 09-18-07, 01:07 PM
Loxus
Rookie

Had ES as a loaner for a couple of days.
Well... the only thing that reminds you that you driving a lexus is a logo on the steering wheel.
Otherwise it's feels like a Camry.
Old 09-18-07, 01:21 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Loxus
Had ES as a loaner for a couple of days.
Well... the only thing that reminds you that you driving a lexus is a logo on the steering wheel.
Otherwise it's feels like a Camry.
Agree!!! Make you wonder how lucky we are!!!
Old 09-18-07, 01:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Co...Lexus&model=GS

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Co...model=ES%20350

Read 'em and weep.
Old 09-18-07, 01:45 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rjacket

As my grandma would say, truer words were never spoken.
Old 09-18-07, 02:07 PM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by twister
@ savon: I think you took this original post a little too close to your heart. This is a personal review based on someone's personal opinion. Of course it was biased toward GS, and therefore it was posted in GS forum Nobody calls anyone stupid for buying one verses the other car. This is just an opinion of one person, even so the comparison is apples and oranges. I can add my *biased* opinion to that too

I was excited earlier last year when made my decision to buy my first Lexus and chose to get ES350. After 2 failed trannies (with that infamous 3rd/4th flare), Lexus bought back my car, and my dealership (HUGE props to Ray Catena) did the right thing and put me into AWD GS350 (premium package, but without NAV/ML) for a very nice price below invoice. Since I paid cash originally for my ES, I ended up paying a difference of $5k plus a pocket change. Now, what did I get for additional $5k? RWD performance (70/30 split) with AWD versatility which kicked **** last winter. I got a much better handling with a little stiffer ride where I can actually feel the road instead of floating along; a steering which is more responsive and connected; a basic audio system (remember, no NAV or ML) with a full Touch Screen that I would of got only with NAV in ES. Same engine? A few extra hps? There is a big step up from 272hp w/254@4700 ft-lb to 303hp w/274@3600 ft-lb. Is all this worth additional $5k to step up from ES350 to GS350? Hell yeah!!! I don't know why everyone also brings up $10k difference, maybe at a high level when you want NAV/ML and UL. At a basic level (still with most of the hi-tech stuff anyway), the difference really shrinks up.

I think for anybody who is deciding between these two cars, it’s really up to soft luxury and more interior room versus sportier handling and better performance. Oh, and personally I do not dream about driving other cars which will cost me twice as much as my 3GS. Those cars are more of a "status" autos for those who can afford them, IMHO. BTW, our good old friend 2thfxr has them all in his garage, and still prefers his 3GS!!!
I remember you from ES forum and I know about your ES story. First of all, I didnt take original post personal (unlike most of you think). I am reading all kinds of comments in differnet car forums including clublexus. But sometimes you have to speak up against uninformed comments people are making. I am happy you proved exactly one of my points that I wanted to make that you cant make a good judgment about something that you dont own or never owned. you owned an ES and I will believe whatever you say even if it is biased toward GS, and you prefered to buy ES first. my problem is with people who are commenting on a car which they never owned.
Old 09-18-07, 02:42 PM
LexFather

I have to say its disapointing to see people not welcome and understand its brother the ES and just say some of the sad comments I read on other forums.

The ES has its purpose (looks outside, yes ES still there, GS in garage ) and it has been a 10 best winner, it has won comparos, it has won as many awards, if not more than the GS. No, its not exciting BUT IT DOES ITS ROLE WELL. The ES has been either #1 or #2 in sales in its class for the past 15 or so years!!!

I am well aware of the differences between the 3GS and 5ES and of course the more expensive car will be (IT BETTER BE) better in many aspects.

That said, the ES is pretty much ALL THE LUXURY one could want for a GREAT price.

Quick Reply: GS compared to ES