GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

choice? GS350, CTS or an Infiniti M35 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 08:02 PM
vbclown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
I hope you meant E350 and even then it will run with any of the others mentioned. The E550 is the most powerful car in it's class hands down! It has 382hp and will do the 1/4 run in 13.5 seconds! Trust me, it's an absolute beast but at the same time will also have the worst MPG of all.
Yep, my bad, I meant the E350. I haven't driven the 350 yet, and I know not to put too much stock in paper specs, but... on paper the E350 is like 270 hp vs. most of these other choices at 300+ and the MB is close to the heavest vehicle... so it's 0-60 is the only 6+ sec time of these cars. Does it feel faster than the specs? I'd like nothing more than to drive it, fall in love, and be able to stop shopping.
Old 09-13-07, 08:10 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vbclown
Yep, my bad, I meant the E350. I haven't driven the 350 yet, and I know not to put too much stock in paper specs, but... on paper the E350 is like 270 hp vs. most of these other choices at 300+ and the MB is close to the heavest vehicle... so it's 0-60 is the only 6+ sec time of these cars. Does it feel faster than the specs? I'd like nothing more than to drive it, fall in love, and be able to stop shopping.
It feels decent. However, the E350 is way behind on creature comforts and technology inside the cabin. For example, the NAV in this car is quite terrible while the Lexus easily blows it out of the water. Mercedes is in the process of updating their entire line and the E is due for udpates in 2009 which will get the better NAV etc. The S, C, and CL all have the updated cabins and the technology has caught up to Lexus but not better. So that is something to consider as well... Good luck in your search.
Old 09-14-07, 12:11 PM
speedzz
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the BMW 335 coupe first and was going to take delivery in Germany. I figured I'd take a nice trip with the wife and drive the car through the Alps and have it shipped back. Before buying the BMW, I spoke to a BMW shop owner and asked what he thought of the vehicles reliability. He was honest and told me he wasn't knowledgeable enough to give me an answer but if I must have it, to get rid of the Bimmer after the 4 year warranty. Too many problems with Bimmer's electrical and over heating. With twin turbos and the heat they produce, it's inevitable that over heating problems will occur.

As we decided to scrap the idea of the BMW, we went to look at the M35. I really liked the M and felt the power thoroughout. The seats were comfortable and the stereo hard drive caught my eye along with the Ipod hookup. I liked the way it handled too (very tight).

The last choice was the Lexus 350. I had driven GS300 a couple years ago and didn't like the way it handled. It floats on the highway and the suspension was way too soft for me.

Here's what sold me on the GS 350:

On the day of the sale, we drove both cars as the dealerships are next to each other. We drove the Lexus first and I was amazed with the handling and power. The Lexus was comfortable and the fit and finish awesome!

We then went over to Infinity and the new M we drove 3 days ago was sold. They put us in a return vehicle with about 6500 miles on it. The car drove like crap, smelled musty from the AC, and you felt every bump on the road. If this is what the car will be like after 6,000 miles of driving, "F" that! What my wife notice was the position of the Nav. It sat more flat or (facing the window) and was hard to see with sun beaming on the screen. I was very disappointed as I leaning this way before driving the GS.

So I guess you know which car we ended up with that beautiful Saturday afternoon in August.
Old 09-14-07, 01:22 PM
Cedel
Driver School Candidate

Interesting thread. We were also trading up from 2004 Acura TL and had narrowed down selection to GS350 AWD and M35x, plus Mercedes E350 4Matic. Originally considered Acura RL, but it just felt like a slightly larger/little more luxurious version of the TL, just not in the same league as the others. Never considered the CTS since we didn't really care for the exterior. Eventually eliminated the M35 since we didn't like the color selection and just couldn't get past the intrusive exhaust and harsher ride, and delivery for refreshed '08s is delayed until December or maybe even January. Debated back and forth between GS350 and E350 for a week or so. Really liked the E's styling, plus the local MB dealer had a beautiful '08 in stock in the color and equipment we wanted. But in the end we chose the GS350 -- it just had more value for the money with lots of features and"toys" that the MB didn't have, more luxurious interior even if it is a little tighter, better color selection and availability, better reliability, plus less expensive. We originally wanted to wait for the '08 GS's but two Lexus dealers told us they wouldn't be in until late October or even November, and we didn't think the changes were that significant to wait for. And of course we were able to get a great deal on an '07. Only 175 miles so far (just picked it up 2 days ago) but we're very happy and know we made the right decision!
Old 09-16-07, 03:15 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

The M35 is the most akward looking car in its class and the interior wears pretty quickly, the E350 isn't a powerful car plus if you want the right packages you'll end up spending more than you want, the GS is drop dead gorgeous inside out IMO but the headroom isn't even fair so.........IMO I have never had faith in American cars from personal experince but the new CTS has me 100% bought for some reason, they re-did the entire car inside out and they used the same interior supplier as Mercedes uses they are also offering 100,000 mile warranty now that says alot about their product. Look into it.